+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Michael Cox Nearly Signed With The Bears Before Being Drafted By NY Giants

http://www.giants101.com/2013/05/21/...w-york-giants/

Excerpt: "As the 2013 NFL Draft was winding down, UMass running back Michael Cox assumed he wasn't going to be drafted. Accordingly, he and his agent had begun working on an UDFA deal with the Chicago Bears — a deal he was about to sign — when he received an unexpected call from head coach Tom Coughlin and the New York Giants.

“I was literally about to sign. I had the paperwork ready and was about to set that all up,” Cox said. “They put me on hold for a second. That’s when New York called and it was Coughlin. He said ‘we’re going to draft you in a couple seconds here.’”

The Giants lived up to their word and took Cox in the 7th round of the draft with the next-to-last pick (253rd overall).

Shortly after the selection of Cox, General Manager Jerry Reese expressed excitement with the pick, claiming the young running back has a legitimate shot to make an impact in the NFL, similar to former 7th round pick Ahmad Bradshaw (250th overall)." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Hey I admit I don't know the rules, but wouldn't the draft need to be officially over before you can sign a deal?

Quote Originally Posted by SimmsandLT View Post
    Hey I admit I don't know the rules, but wouldn't the draft need to be officially over before you can sign a deal?
    Yes, I think they were "preparing" to sign with the Bears by getting the papers in order.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

what a Cox!

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Yes, I think they were "preparing" to sign with the Bears by getting the papers in order.
    are you even allowed to start preparing to sign before draft is over?
    FUTURE NFL STAR

through 4 games

13 rushes for 100 yards and a td
    13pancake blocks
    16 tackles 1 sack (3 td saving tackles including final tackle as time expired to clinch win, hit of the game 9/14 )
    4-0 record

hope he pans out. Would love to see a top level running game.....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by SimmsandLT View Post
    Yes, but deals often get done as the draft winds down and finalized when the draft is over. I believe we had like the second or third to last pick in the 7th. "About to sign" could mean in 15 minutes when the draft is over.

anybody know whether or not Cox can block because as we've all seen if he can't block he won't play in the backfield

I like his size and speed... If he develops I see another Eddie George type of runner.

#5 QB - Everett Golson
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Would be nice to have another Bradshaw
    Last edited by Broadway Blue; 05-21-2013 at 11:32 AM.