+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by L.T.56 View Post
    i'll never forget that big catch he made in super bowl 42. 3rd and 11 and gets the first down while also getting out of bounds to stop the clock. everyone talks about the tyree catch but this one was just as important.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBh6Y3Rp73c
    yea buddy.. That was Huge!

Quote Originally Posted by giantsforce View Post
    I am sure he could have done better for his family had he taken the 5 year, $35M deal Reese was offering him.
    But he didn't . . . so at the time the Eagles deal came along, it was the best deal for him and his family. This notion that he is a "traitor" for taking that deal is just childish
    Last edited by TCHOF; 05-30-2013 at 06:56 AM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    But he didn't . . . so at the time the Eagles deal came along, it was the best deal for him and his family. This notion that he is a "traitor" for taking that deal is just childish
    Being a traitor and missing out on millions due to quibbling over 35 or 40 million are two seperate issues.
    Anything above 2 million for one family over a lifetime, and the "providing for your family" statements
    are such a crock of doody.

Loved the guy, but he made his own bed by being greedy, just like Cruz may end up doing it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    More along the lines that we had offered Smith a 5 year, $35m contract with $15m guaranteed just a few months before he screwed up his knee that he turned down, as he wanted to test the FA market.
    I believe he got more money from the eagles than he would have with the giants had he taken that contract. It had almost nothing guaranteed for injury.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    I believe he got more money from the eagles than he would have with the giants had he taken that contract. It had almost nothing guaranteed for injury.
    Who says. The giants said he was not ready and obviously would have bought him back more slowly.
    Good chance it could have extended his career substantially. Giants take a long time to finally ditch
    a hurt, but previously great player. He could of easily had several chances to come back from mulitple injuries.

Being a regular healthy scratch in St Louis spoke volumes as to his diminished capability. A shame.

Still, walking away at 28 with a Super Bowl ring, a decent amount of cash and an intact brain isn't too bad, I guess.
    Last edited by Flip Empty; 05-30-2013 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    Being a traitor and missing out on millions due to quibbling over 35 or 40 million are two seperate issues.
    Anything above 2 million for one family over a lifetime, and the "providing for your family" statements
    are such a crock of doody.

Loved the guy, but he made his own bed by being greedy, just like Cruz may end up doing it now.
    So you think that a 28 year old can support his family for the rest of his life on what is left of $2M after agent fees and taxes? THAT'S a crock of doody.

I love how a guy is labeled "greedy" for trying to get the most money he can during a very short career. Who exactly wouldn't try to do the same thing if they were in these players' shoes?

Obviously, Smith took a gamble and lost. Doesn't make him a bad guy or diminish in any way what he did as a Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    Who says. The giants said he was not ready and obviously would have bought him back more slowly.
    Good chance it could have extended his career substantially. Giants take a long time to finally ditch
    a hurt, but previously great player. He could of easily had several chances to come back from mulitple injuries.
    Well the contract disappeared after he got hurt. So if you want to argue his rehab was incorrect then that's a different argument.

But there is no evidence to support the idea that he would be rich if he took the giants deal, nor is their evidence he would still be playing successfully had he stayed a giant

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    Obviously, Smith took a gamble and lost. Doesn't make him a bad guy or diminish in any way what he did as a Giant.
    I'm not sure he lost. The eagles contract may have been more money

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    I'm not sure he lost. The eagles contract may have been more money
    I mean that he took a gamble by turning down the big deal that was allegedly offered by the Giants before he got hurt.