+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Read this about Coughlin folks...think twice. Go TC.

Just when I don't think it can get any worse, I think of you Ray Handjob. I have been to the abyss....thank you for helping me stay positive.

Re: Read this about Coughlin folks...think twice. Go TC.

[quote user="BigBlueOnes"]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8258f99f/article/departing-owner-looks-back-fondly-on-coughlin-era-in-jacksonville?module=HP11_headline_stack[/quote]Good article.
    No one remembers who came in second.

thanks...

I never had to or will think twice about Tom Coughlin.

A handful of players over the years have said he was too "strict". How about the players who praise him? Or how about the hundreds of players who played under him and have said nothing.

Why is the negative always the truth???

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

TC is one of the best coaches the Giants have ever had. In my lifetime he is number 2 after Parcells.

30-42 in Nov/Dec
    Never won a home playoff game
    Collapses in 7 out of 8 years.
    Responsible for some of the franchise's most humiliating losses.

That might cut it in Jacksonville, not in New York.

He's good but can't fix these fatal flaws.

I make the Joe Torre comparison -- one of the best in franchise history but if he can't fix these fatal flaws then it's time to part ways.

The article also doesn't mention why he got FIRED in Jacksonville, and it's for the same reasons you hear here -- the players stop responding, they would come out flat and uninspired. Coincidentally, he lasted 8 seasons in Jacksonville, and this is his 8th season in NY.
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

[quote user="SweetZombieJesus"]30-42 in Nov/Dec

He's good but can't fix these fatal flaws.*

I make the Joe Torre comparison -- one of the best in franchise history but if he can't fix these fatal flaws then it's time to part ways.*

The article also doesn't mention why he got FIRED in Jacksonville, and it's for the same reasons you hear here -- the players stop responding, they would come out flat and uninspired.* Coincidentally, he lasted 8 seasons in Jacksonville, and this is his 8th season in NY.*
    [/quote]

Of course, the hiring of Girardi did not fix the Yankees "fatal flaws" . . . . $200M in FA acquistions were necessary to do that. So the Joe Torre comparison is not even remotely relevant since his successor did not win with the same team.

And it is also widely known that TC's Jacksonville teams near the end were the victims of salary cap hell and had very little talent . . . . . he was not fired because players stopped listening to him. He was fired because his players stopped having talent.

[quote user="GMENAGAIN"]
    Of course, the hiring of Girardi did not fix the Yankees "fatal flaws" . . . . $200M in FA acquistions were necessary to do that. So the Joe Torre comparison is not even remotely relevant since his successor did not win with the same team.[/quote]

Of course you neglect what is likely billions in spending to prop up the failed Joe Torre regime as well.

Kevin Brown, Randy Johnson, A-Rod, Jason Giambi, Mike Mussina, Hideki Matsui, Carl Pavano, Jeff Weaver, Johnny Damon, any of these names ringing bells? All big name acquisitions brought in after the glory years from 1996-2001.

What did that get them?

A humiliating WS loss in 2003 to the Marlins
    A historic collapse against the Red Sox in the 2004 ALCS
    Consecutive first round exits in 2005, 2006, and 2007.

Remove Joe, who was once great but no longer cutting it and unable to identify or fix the problem, and two years later they win another World Series.

Joe Torre was not able to identify why they collapsed against the Red Sox in 2004, much like Tom Coughlin was unable to identify the collapse against the Eagles in 2010. Joe Torre was not able to explain the flame outs in the 2003 WS or in the 2005, 2006, and 2007 ALDS. Tom Coughlin has not been able to explain the flame outs his tenure is known for, such as in 2009 the last ever game at Giants Stadium, or in the 2005 and 2008 playoffs.

And at least Joe Torre won multiple championships and didn't have regular season collapses (I think there was maybe one year where they went on a massive losing streak at the end and finished with less than 90 wins).

[quote user="GMENAGAIN"]
    And it is also widely known that TC's Jacksonville teams near the end
    were the victims of salary cap hell and had very little talent . . . . .
    he was not fired because players stopped listening to him. He was
    fired because his players stopped having talent.[/quote]

That may be the politically correct answer given by history (and still partially true) but I made a point to listen to Jaguar fans about the end of Coughlin's regime when he came in here. They said the team stopped listening to him and they would come out flat and going through the motions. The truth is probably a little of both.

The team went downhill and got stuck at 6-10. If it weren't for Eli, we'd probably be 6-10 or worse.

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

He's good but can't fix these fatal flaws.*

I make the Joe Torre comparison -- one of the best in franchise history but if he can't fix these fatal flaws then it's time to part ways.*

The article also doesn't mention why he got FIRED in Jacksonville, and it's for the same reasons you hear here -- the players stop responding, they would come out flat and uninspired.* Coincidentally, he lasted 8 seasons in Jacksonville, and this is his 8th season in NY.*
    [/quote]

Took a 4-12 team and won a Superbowl 4 years later. I'd rather have that than making the NFC Championship every year but never winning the big one. Ask any Eagles fan about that...

He's good but can't fix these fatal flaws.

I make the Joe Torre comparison -- one of the best in franchise history but if he can't fix these fatal flaws then it's time to part ways.

The article also doesn't mention why he got FIRED in Jacksonville, and it's for the same reasons you hear here -- the players stop responding, they would come out flat and uninspired. Coincidentally, he lasted 8 seasons in Jacksonville, and this is his 8th season in NY.
    [/quote]

John Mara, like his Dad, look at things differently than you may. Stability is important as is loyalty. Coughlin, it was recently reported, is the only HC since the 50's to have not had a losing season. Check out some of the articles in the new threads of late and broaden your perspective. It helps to approach it with perspective instead of emotions.

[quote user="yoeddy"]Took a 4-12 team and won a Superbowl 4 years later. I'd rather have that than making the NFC Championship every year but never winning the big one. Ask any Eagles fan about that...[/quote]

Partly agreed, but I think everybody would agree it's best to be playing your best football in November and December -- and that not winning a home playoff game is indicting. Generally those signs are agreed upon as bad.