+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ebick View Post
    well....nothing to do with existing American fans.....I'll give you that....but it certainly has to do with getting MORE fans in "untapped" markets.
    I went to the London game when we played the Dolphins and I was amazed at the number of fans our brand of football generates. People coming in from all over the UK and other European countries.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Boada View Post
    You're right with those arguments.
    I need to be more accurate. Kidnapping and drug cartel problems are exclusively from the north and coasts part of the country, thank God Mexico City is free of those problems, we have others.
    But I'm pretty sure is not about security, we had many NFL games before 2005 and there is not artist or music band who has stopped coming to Mexico for that reason (U2,Paul McCartney,Madonna etc.), we had Panamerican Games, Obama came two weeks ago, etc...
    Anyway, we will still loving the NFL and purchasing Sunday Ticket and travelling to USA to attend the games...
    By the way, DO YOU KNOW THAT IN MEXICO YOU CAN WATCH THE GAMES IN TEATHRES? THAT'S AWESOME!...
    Well, there's a difference security-wise between having a couple teams coming down for a week to play an exhibition game and housing a complete team, replete with front office staff and families for the duration of a season. Same thing with bands. They're only in town for a few days at a crack, which minimizes potential risks.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I went to the London game when we played the Dolphins and I was amazed at the number of fans our brand of football generates. People coming in from all over the UK and other European countries.
    Then Goodell needs to be bold, to actually invest in Europe (which means lose money for a while until the bonanza comes) and set up an 8 or 10 team European league that drafts players along with the other NFL but plays only among themselves. The winner for now gets slotted in the NFL playoff bracket and we go from there. As the level of play improves maybe 2 or 3 get into the bracket. What I detest is taking teams on crazy trips that diminish their skills JUST TO SATISFY an insatiable interest in US football. I care about the Giants, not so much the NFL. Every week, every game is critical and if my team is hungover from travel to London or hungover from travel when they get back, that is not fan friendly and not a good thing for the Giants. This is not MLB with 162 games! This is 16 life and death moments and none should be discarded to entertain the Euros. If Goodell thinks that there is $$ in Europe (and I agree) then he should throw the deep ball and create the NFL Eurpope division.
    Last edited by jomo; 06-05-2013 at 07:39 PM.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    If Goodell wants to chase this model he should move to create a European NFL and a South of the Border NFL and then work the winners of those 2 divisions into the playoff bracket. The travel thing from here to there is BS and not fan friendly or competitiveness friendly.
    Exactly. It is the NATIONAL Football League, for god's sake.

This is the one thing Goodell seems to have a real hard on for, and it's terrible. If a team's based in London, 8 of its games will require a minimum of 5 hours, up to 10 hour flights for it's 8 away games. Not very advantageous to the London team every year. They might never overcome that.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post
    Exactly. It is the NATIONAL Football League, for god's sake.

This is the one thing Goodell seems to have a real hard on for, and it's terrible. If a team's based in London, 8 of its games will require a minimum of 5 hours, up to 10 hour flights for it's 8 away games. Not very advantageous to the London team every year. They might never overcome that.
    They kind of tried that......the problem is that the NFL represents the best in the world. You can't simply create an entire new league with the quality of players that exist in the NFL. I'm not saying I am for it. I can't imagine a London based team playing teams on the west coast.....the travel time would be rediculous and create a really unfair advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by ebick View Post
    They kind of tried that......the problem is that the NFL represents the best in the world. You can't simply create an entire new league with the quality of players that exist in the NFL. I'm not saying I am for it. I can't imagine a London based team playing teams on the west coast.....the travel time would be rediculous and create a really unfair advantage.
    That is why we need a Euro division that plays 12 out of 16 games over there and a couple on this side of the pond until they can play all of their games over there. The payoff is that they get a slot in the playoffs and ultimately 2 slots. The interest in Europ ewill be enormous and it won't take 5 years to have very competitive teams over there since they will be full participants in our draft and the average career of players is lass than 5 years.

What I detest is taking teams on crazy trips that diminish their skills JUST TO SATISFY an insatiable interest in US football.
    It's more about the owners' insatiable interest in increased revenue than anything else. The NFL is still very much a niche product outside the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    It's more about the owners' insatiable interest in increased revenue than anything else. The NFL is still very much a niche product outside the US.
    Which is why I say that all these moves by Goodell and the owners are not friendly to the teams fans, they are designed to line the pockets of owners at the expense of their own fans enjoyment and even their teams' ultimate success. If the Giants fly to London, play on a rotten field while being jet lagged and miss the playoffs by tie breakers because of a loss in Europe, why am I supposed to think that's cool??

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Boada View Post
    You're right with those arguments.
    I need to be more accurate. Kidnapping and drug cartel problems are exclusively from the north and coasts part of the country, thank God Mexico City is free of those problems, we have others.
    But I'm pretty sure is not about security, we had many NFL games before 2005 and there is not artist or music band who has stopped coming to Mexico for that reason (U2,Paul McCartney,Madonna etc.), we had Panamerican Games, Obama came two weeks ago, etc...
    Anyway, we will still loving the NFL and purchasing Sunday Ticket and travelling to USA to attend the games...
    By the way, DO YOU KNOW THAT IN MEXICO YOU CAN WATCH THE GAMES IN TEATHRES? THAT'S AWESOME!...
    There is a difference between "having games" and having a Franchise, its employees and a full season. The security demands of 1 game or 1 event are nowhere near as demanding as it would be for a full team, all day and all night for an entire football season for not just the players but everyone around an organization.

You can argue that the security problems are largely in the north. It is worse in the north for sure, but it is a countrywide problem:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3360915.html

That said, I do think Mexico City is a better candidate for an NFL team than any European city as far as fanbase and revenue. But, security is most certainly a huge issue since NFL player contracts are on public record.

Lastly, and I am too lazy to look it up, but I know that Jerry Jones has been strongly against any Mexican teams. As you can imagine that would bite into his revenue quite severely. In truth, it has been some time since the Cowboys have been "America's Team." A huge chunk of their revenue comes from south of the border.

Which is why I say that all these moves by Goodell and the owners are not friendly to the teams fans, they are designed to line the pockets of owners at the expense of their own fans enjoyment and even their teams' ultimate success. If the Giants fly to London, play on a rotten field while being jet lagged and miss the playoffs by tie breakers because of a loss in Europe, why am I supposed to think that's cool??
    Yep, I agree. I can understand wanting to grow the league's profile, but they're doing so in a way that runs the very real risk of turning off the sport's core - American - audience. Not good.