+ Reply to Thread

Mandatory Minicamp Practice Report. Day 1

http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/6244

Excerpt: "Head coach Tom Coughlin uses the word “hope” a lot, as in he hopes to get an injured player back sooner than later, he hopes to have all hands on deck for a practice, and he hopes to see any remaining contract issues resolved.

One of his “hopes” from last week was to have Hakeem Nicks back working with the team, which of course came true when the receiver showed up for the mandatory three day minicamp,.

As could probably be expected, Nicks, who is coming back from offseason knee surgery, is behind the rest of the team and is trying to get back into the groove.
    “We don’t know where he’s at so we’re trying to figure that out,” Coughlin said. “He’s definitely not in tune with where we are. We’ve had nine OTAs and have thrown a lot at them. So he’s just had this one day. If he’s around, he’ll pick it up quick; he’ll get it fast.”

Nothing too much is new for me in this offense, so it’s just basically getting back into the routine with the offense,” Nicks said earlier about playing catch up. “.We had a jog-thru earlier. I jumped in there earlier and everything is just like clockwork to me now with this offense.
    So it sounds like any lingering worries about Nicks, who ran routes today, will be fine.

The same probably can’t be said about Victor Cruz, the last remaining restricted free agent in the NFL who has yet to sign.

“I’ve been optimistic since day one, but it hasn’t gotten me anywhere,” Coughlin said when asked about his level of optimism that Cruz’s new deal would get done soon. “I’ll just continue to be optimistic. The clock’s running. This (camp) is something that he could have at least benefitted by, if nothing else, this minicamp. But you have to realize that there is no contract at this time, so without a contract, he’s not going to be here.”

And so the Giants wait on Cruz, who continues to decide whether to sign the one-year tender or the longer term deal on that’s on the table. And the Giants continue to move forward dint heir plans to get ready for the new season.
    Eventually Cruz will show up. It won’t’ be this camp. It might not even be for the start of training camp. But when he does, he sure better come in and be ready to go and he better stay healthy, otherwise one can only imagine the scrutiny that he’ll face if he isn’t." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Ya know... I've always had the feeling that it's much to do about nothing! I knew Nicks would be here today and I also knew that Cruz would not be here. Very simple. As I listen to the MoMo's from the media take pot shots at everyone who is decent enough to field their questions, I get a certain feeling of discontent at the way TC, Nicks, Eli etal are being treated. Everyone knows that this is a serious business that needs very adept decisions about their behavior... On and off the field. I for one would have been very surprised if Hakeem came in for OTA's. And VC, the man doesn't have a contract: no deal, no play. Unless you want to put your entire future at risk! Both of these WR's will be in Blue at the beginning of the season and will be scoring TD after TD. I'd love to hear some real news from the reporters instead of listening to them repeat the same old humdrum questions that are almost begging for a slap in the face. I don't get it! Leave these guys alone and treat them like Champions!

^ I cant bring myself to read that story...

Thanks for the update RF.
    " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

Nothing new, Cruz is not showing up and Nicks is.

And one of these rookies will step in and beat Cruz out and Cruz will fail in the end like Steve Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    And one of these rookies will step in and beat Cruz out and Cruz will fail in the end like Steve Smith
    IDK dude, I think even if a "rookie" which will be pretty hard considering we don't have any wide receivers except for that Carlos guy i think. I think if Murphy, JJ or Barden step up and are considered solid. If Victor comes back he will be guaranteed a starting spot. I find it really hard to believe that TC will just displace him like that...

Quote Originally Posted by giantscolombia View Post
    IDK dude, I think even if a "rookie" which will be pretty hard considering we don't have any wide receivers except for that Carlos guy i think. I think if Murphy, JJ or Barden step up and are considered solid. If Victor comes back he will be guaranteed a starting spot. I find it really hard to believe that TC will just displace him like that...
    I'm kidding. Hopefully Cruz shows up/

i was glad to see Nicks actually practiced and wasnt on the stationary bike. i wonder if hes 100% now...?