+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Herzlich On Fast Track To Become Giants' Starting MLB

Mark Herzlich On Fast Track To Become Giants' Starting MLB

http://www.giants101.com/2013/06/12/...-starting-mlb/

Excerpt: "At one point in time, many wondered if Mark Herzlich would ever play footballagain. And even after beating Ewing's Sarcoma and signing with the New York Giants as an undrafted rookie free agent, questions lingered. Was he merely a fell good signing? Could he actually make the team? Well, he was a feel good story, and not just because he beat cancer, but because he's a hell of a football player who not only made the team, but went on to win himself a Super Bowl ring.

Now, here in 2013, Herzlich has surprisingly flown under the radar. The irony being that if there was ever a time to talk about what Herzlich means to a team on the field, this would be it.

With Chase Blackburn now in Carolina with the Panthers, Herzlich has thegreatest opportunity of his career ahead of him: a chance to win the starting middle linebacker job for the New York football Giants.

"This is an unbelievable opportunity, just to have the opportunity to break into the starting role," Herzlich said. "And the rest is on me — whether I perform well enough and do well enough and study well enough to get that job."

Throughout OTAs and during the first day of mandatory mini-camp, Herzlich has primarily found himself starting at MLB on the first-team defense. In others words, it would appear as if the starting job has become his to lose. And to say he's taking it seriously would be a bit of an understatement.

"After the first OTA, we always go and watch the films — me and [Spencer Paysinger] were watching film, and we’re like, 'We’re gonna know this defense better than the coaches,'" Herzlich said. "So we went to Costco that day, got dry erase boards — I was on the dry erase board all [Monday], just reviewing everything from OTAs, getting ready for minicamp. That way, when you eliminate the mental mistakes, you can play faster and more physical."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Here’s your opportunity Mark, grab it and make the most of it.

Great story for this kid but the way he played last year makes me nervous about our linebackers this year.

If Herzlich is our starting MLB, it's going to be ugly! He is 3rd team lb at best.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime View Post
    Here’s your opportunity Mark, grab it and make the most of it.
    This. There isn't a better time than this to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by radar-ray View Post
    If Herzlich is our starting MLB, it's going to be ugly! He is 3rd team lb at best.
    Considering his age, and his medical history, I don't think we know yet what his ceiling is. Maybe he's really improved both in terms of understanding the pro game and rebuilding his strength and speed.

That's my hope at least....because Reese seems to be putting his faith in some reclamation projects (Curry, Rivers), mid-tier free agents (Connor) hybrids/conversions (Moore, Taylor), and the young guys (Paysinger, Williams, Herzlich).

Hopefully one or more of these guys hits paydirt this season.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 06-12-2013 at 01:25 PM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    This. There isn't a better time than this to take it.
    but do we really want him to take it...

Quote Originally Posted by Eliscruzzz View Post
    but do we really want him to take it...
    If he's on the fast track for it and he's proving himself to be worthy of it, why not? We need a MLB and if he's got the drive for it.. why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    If he's on the fast track for it and he's proving himself to be worthy of it, why not? We need a MLB and if he's got the drive for it.. why not?
    I get it, but he was man handled last year. He couldn't read coverages, couldn't shed blocks and was getting blown up. I think it just speaks to how bad our linebackers are.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliscruzzz View Post
    I get it, but he was man handled last year. He couldn't read coverages, couldn't shed blocks and was getting blown up. I think it just speaks to how bad our linebackers are.
    Throughout OTAs and during the first day of mandatory mini-camp, Herzlich has primarily found himself starting at MLB on the first-team defense. In others words, it would appear as if the starting job has become his to lose. And to say he's taking it seriously would be a bit of an understatement.

I'll let that speak a little bit about Herz. I hope that he starts to learn the game more and gets ready for it more than the fact that the rest of the guys aren't that good.

+ Reply to Thread