+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How about that Donta Hightower in Giant blue?

Take your Kuechly, Burfict, and Teo and shove 'em up your...I kid, I kid.

Donta is our guy. Hell he can shift between MLB and DE. Seriously, he would be a nice upgrade in the middle. He is most likely a 2nd rounder, so if we shore up one of our lines with an OT/OG or DT in round one, Donta would look mighty nice as our second pick.

Re: How about that Donta Hightower in Giant blue?

I've been high on Hightower for about 3 years. He will be a great player.

[quote user="gmen0820"]I've been high on Hightower for about 3 years. He will be a great player.[/quote]

Well hell, you should be in our scouting department. Call Timmy Mara and tell him you're dating Kate and scouting for the team.

I know last year they were saying his ceiling is higher than Rolando McClain's, which is saying a lot.

Veteran

The only thing I don't like about him is that he's not the most fluid athlete in space. Other than that he's very versatile with his ability to rush the passer and he has great size. 6'4 260

[quote user="flimflam"][quote user="gmen0820"]I've been high on Hightower for about 3 years. He will be a great player.[/quote]

Well hell, you should be in our scouting department. Call Timmy Mara and tell him you're dating Kate and scouting for the team.

I know last year they were saying his ceiling is higher than Rolando McClain's, which is saying a lot.[/quote]

Which means what, he might pull the trigger instead of just holding the gun up to the guys head?

Just kidding.

Anyways, McClain needs to be in a 3-4. I don't see the "ceiling" on him in the Raiders defense. He hasn't been awful, but he hasn't exactly lived up to being a top ten pick. Doesn't even play the position well enough to be a first round pick, in my opinion.

Hightower will be best suited in a 3-4 as well. Dude is a thumper. I like the way he plays, but I think we'd limit him here.

[quote user="flimflam"][quote user="gmen0820"]I've been high on Hightower for about 3 years. He will be a great player.[/quote]

I know last year they were saying his ceiling is higher than Rolando McClain's, which is saying a lot.[/quote]

Which means what, he might pull the trigger instead of just holding the gun up to the guys head?

Just kidding.

Anyways, McClain needs to be in a 3-4. I don't see the "ceiling" on him in the Raiders defense. He hasn't been awful, but he hasn't exactly lived up to being a top ten pick. Doesn't even play the position well enough to be a first round pick, in my opinion.

Hightower will be best suited in a 3-4 as well. Dude is a thumper. I like the way he plays, but I think we'd limit him here.

Veteran

[quote user="greenca190"][quote user="flimflam"][quote user="gmen0820"]I've been high on Hightower for about 3 years. He will be a great player.[/quote]

Just kidding.

[/quote]

Exactly. Now I know all the draft gurus on here won't like this but I've looked at all the prospects that we might get and Vontaze Burfict is the guy i want. He has great measurables (6'3 250) and has the burfict mentality for a middle linebacker hehehe. He can get a little too crazy on the field but if you asked me would I want James Harrison on my team I wouldn't hesitate to say yes. We NEED and impact linebacker so let's take a shot a Burfict.

[quote user="Spizi"][quote user="greenca190"][quote user="flimflam"][quote user="gmen0820"]I've been high on Hightower for about 3 years. He will be a great player.[/quote]

Just kidding.

[/quote]

Exactly. Now I know all the draft gurus on here won't like this but I've looked at all the prospects that we might get and Vontaze Burfict is the guy i want. He has great measurables (6'3 250) and has the burfict mentality for a middle linebacker hehehe. He can get a little too crazy on the field but if you asked me would I want James Harrison on my team I wouldn't hesitate to say yes. We NEED and impact linebacker so let's take a shot a Burfict.[/quote]

I haven't had much of an opportunity to watch him play. He's been benched most of the year because he's a ****.

If we can get him in the 2nd, go for it.

[quote user="Spizi"][quote user="greenca190"][quote user="flimflam"][quote user="gmen0820"]I've been high on Hightower for about 3 years. He will be a great player.[/quote]

Just kidding.

[/quote]

Exactly. Now I know all the draft gurus on here won't like this but I've looked at all the prospects that we might get and Vontaze Burfict is the guy i want. He has great measurables (6'3 250) and has the burfict mentality for a middle linebacker hehehe. He can get a little too crazy on the field but if you asked me would I want James Harrison on my team I wouldn't hesitate to say yes. We NEED and impact linebacker so let's take a shot a Burfict.[/quote]

You bring up Harrison. So ill stick with that comparison for simplicity sake, although they play different positions completely there are other HUGE differences.

As recently as 2008 Harrison was the AP defensive player of the year. The guy produces and is 1 of the best in the league at his position. At that time(2008), nobody called him a dirty player. He was nasty but not dirty. Then, the rules of football changed, and Harrison has had a hard time adjusting and that led to a lot of personal foul penalties for illegal hits. He didnt change, the game around him changed.

Burfict, on the other hand, just flat out ignores the rules. His personal fouls are not just because he does things illegal during the play, but because he does dumb things at an alarming rate. I played for a great college coach. He always said you dont want to punish a kid for an aggression mistake, but you NEED to punish them for mental mistakes. A huge majority of Burficts penalties were mental mistakes, lack of control, or just plain stupidity and selfishness, putting his ego above the team. He led the nation in Personal fouls and his team led the nation in penalty yards because of it.

From a personality standpoint Vontaze may have the same innate aggression as Harrison. But now way does he have Harrisons intellegence.

Furthermore, his play this year was bad. You can overlook some thing if your a star. But, he wasnt a star this year. He wasnt even the best LBer on his own team.

Lastly, his personality is disaster pairing for NYC. You wanna give a 21 yr old kid who has a STRONG history of not being able to control himself access to A) the NY nightlife and B) the media who will be sticking mics in front of him every second trying to get him to explode so they have a story.

Remember, this is the same media that in 2006 managed make 1 of NY's most beloved athletes, Michael Strahan, look greedy. People on these boards were crying for us to trade him because he wanted to renegotiate his deal. What do you think they would do to Burfict?

Negating any personal conduct/mental mistake penalties, Burfict just hasn't looked like a good football player at all for some time.

I wouldn't attest to taking him in the second round, but at this point, there are a lot more picks I would make before him.