+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Flaws/things Eli can do to improve

While we are all here debating (yeah, right lol) the topic of Eli Manning, he's off somewhere trying to get better. Usually, he focuses on an aspect of the previous season he feels needs improving, and works on that during the offseason.

2010 going into 2011, it was eliminating those mental gaffes that were occurring too frequently for the caliber of player Eli is. He also talked about throwing it away, taking a sack, and I think what he was really focusing on was pocket presence awareness. And 2011, we saw that aspect improve.

His 2011 seasons was pretty phenomenal, but I recall Eli talking about being better earlier and not "waiting" til the 4th to play the best. While its hard for most to not overvalue those 2-3 poor games, I'd say Eli was better in that regard. We didn't rely on as many GW drives and comebacks, although we still neededa few comebacks to win. but i'd say in 2012, we won the same # of games as 2011, we had 7 gw drives in 2011, no way we had that many in 2012.

Before the 2010 season, Eli would discuss completion percentage as an aspect he needed to improve, and he did.

So, what do you think Eli is identifying in his play from 2012 that needs improving?

One thing I'd like to see more, is Eli utilize the pump fake/look off the coverage way more often. do it every play if necessary. id rather that, than locking onto the #1, which he seemed to do at times. Whether that was because his confidence in the wr core was shaky bc of the Nicks injury or not, is pure speculation. but, eli has a ton of success when he looks off coverage and uses the pump fake, why not do it more? Another aspect would be to work on the careless turnovers. while he has made strides, he still can get better. While he's no P.Rivers (who leads the NFL in most amount of TO's the last 2/3 seasons, even more than Sanchez iirc correctly), he's still no tom brady in terms of protecting the football.

Not necessarily on Eli but I would like to see a quicker tempo on offense. I'd like to see Eli taking the snap with plenty of time left on the clock.

But if he were to keep pump faking it, wouldn't he become predictable? I don't think the defense would keep falling for it if he kept doing it.

Please support.
    Get well soon #80.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    But if he were to keep pump faking it, wouldn't he become predictable? I don't think the defense would keep falling for it if he kept doing it.
    Good point. Look at Sanchez. The guy simply cannot pass the ball without pump-faking first.

with our crop of receivers Eli should automatically improve his stats.

cutting another 5-6 picks from last year will obviously be an improvement and probably means we are in good position as a team.

the running game should take a little more pressure off Eli giving him more options.

all those things should produce an excellent year for Eli.

He needs to get hot early, more often. I don't know if that's measurable, lol.

He needs to make better decisions in the redzone

true elicruz, but i also place equal blame on playcalling in that regard.

and that is an interesting point rudy. maybe not do it all the time, or even too much. but he seems to kill defenses when he throws a pump fake. would like to see it a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    true elicruz, but i also place equal blame on playcalling in that regard.and that is an interesting point rudy. maybe not do it all the time, or even too much. but he seems to kill defenses when he throws a pump fake. would like to see it a bit more.
    Right. When he does pump fake it's excellent. Or when he motions to one direction, but throws in another. That throws the defense off. Would like for him to have more redzone success as elicruzzz pointed out. That's a Gilbride thing too.

Please support.
    Get well soon #80.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    Good point. Look at Sanchez. The guy simply cannot pass the ball without pump-faking first.
    and roethlisberger