+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    While we are all here debating (yeah, right lol) the topic of Eli Manning, he's off somewhere trying to get better. Usually, he focuses on an aspect of the previous season he feels needs improving, and works on that during the offseason.

2010 going into 2011, it was eliminating those mental gaffes that were occurring too frequently for the caliber of player Eli is. He also talked about throwing it away, taking a sack, and I think what he was really focusing on was pocket presence awareness. And 2011, we saw that aspect improve.

His 2011 seasons was pretty phenomenal, but I recall Eli talking about being better earlier and not "waiting" til the 4th to play the best. While its hard for most to not overvalue those 2-3 poor games, I'd say Eli was better in that regard. We didn't rely on as many GW drives and comebacks, although we still neededa few comebacks to win. but i'd say in 2012, we won the same # of games as 2011, we had 7 gw drives in 2011, no way we had that many in 2012.

Before the 2010 season, Eli would discuss completion percentage as an aspect he needed to improve, and he did.

So, what do you think Eli is identifying in his play from 2012 that needs improving?

One thing I'd like to see more, is Eli utilize the pump fake/look off the coverage way more often. do it every play if necessary. id rather that, than locking onto the #1, which he seemed to do at times. Whether that was because his confidence in the wr core was shaky bc of the Nicks injury or not, is pure speculation. but, eli has a ton of success when he looks off coverage and uses the pump fake, why not do it more? Another aspect would be to work on the careless turnovers. while he has made strides, he still can get better. While he's no P.Rivers (who leads the NFL in most amount of TO's the last 2/3 seasons, even more than Sanchez iirc correctly), he's still no tom brady in terms of protecting the football.
    Rivers has way more fumbles and way less picks. Over all Rivers has less turnovers in his career than Eli.

I'd like to see him throw off his back foot less. I think it could help his accuracy issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    I think his biggest area of improvement is ball placement.
    I'm not sure that is something that will ever improve. I've decided to live with the inconsistent accuracy. When he's on he's on, but when he's not it's ugly, real ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Die-Hard View Post
    More play action. He's so good at it, and there seems to be a high rate of success when it gets called in the huddle

I realize that falls mostly under playcalling, but from what I understand, he gets several plays called in to him, and he picks the play he wants to run
    More play action without an improved running game will only result in Eli getting cracked.

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    I'm not sure that is something that will ever improve. I've decided to live with the inconsistent accuracy. When he's on he's on, but when he's not it's ugly, real ugly.
    His placement in '11 was excellent for the most part, and not as much in '12.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    His placement in '11 was excellent for the most part, and not as much in '12.
    What wasn't great in 2011? Placement, consistency, decision making, it all seemed to come together. I thought he had broken through to that next level, but in 2012 he looked like the old Eli. I blamed Nicks for some of his struggles, but there were rough patches in 2012 where I could only blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    Rivers has way more fumbles and way less picks. Over all Rivers has less turnovers in his career than Eli.

I'd like to see him throw off his back foot less. I think it could help his accuracy issues.
    i dunno how the career turnovers stack up anymore. eli used to have more. rivers has had even more turnovers than sanchez has the last 3 yrs something like 1 for every single game or 48 or sumthing i forget...he had a 20 int season and another near 20 iirc as well 2 of the last 3 yrs...and he does have even more redzone turnovers than sanchez. i might be confusing overall turnovers and redzone turnovers in regards to sanchez and rivers. i know at least both qbs were the worst 2

More short plays on 3rd and 3.....Gilbride has a hand in this too of course
    Quicker tempo offense at times throw in the no huddle too....once again coaching as well as Eli
    No delay of games.....come on really Eli????....even after time outs they get flagged!!!!
    Less picks....like a half a dozen less.....
    Better reads inside the ten.....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    More short plays on 3rd and 3.....Gilbride has a hand in this too of course
    Quicker tempo offense at times throw in the no huddle too....once again coaching as well as Eli
    No delay of games.....come on really Eli????....even after time outs they get flagged!!!!
    Less picks....like a half a dozen less.....
    Better reads inside the ten.....
    well i dont remember a delay of game penalty or it being an issue for some time

remember that time on 4th and short when toomer was still our wr, we had called a time out. then out of the time out, eli was tryin to change the play and stuff and was about to get a delay of game and tried calling a timeout again, which u cant do. he hiked it, threw a 40 yrd go route to toomer for the first lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSaint View Post
    Improve offensive play calling, simplify the route running and more playaction. We can actually fake the defenses out now that we have a healthy and dangerous rb. The only thing is, that the play action won't work with a terrible oline.
    Hopefully having Brown and Wilson will improve the running game enough to make the playaction effective, but Eli could also do a better job selling the fake. I've seen some playactions where the ball doesn't even get anywhere near the RB, while when you see RG3 do playaction he buries the ball inside his RB before pulling it out...

(Harooni, go ahead and have a field day at that last sentence)

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

I think the delay of game penalty issue is becoming a bit of an urban legend. I don't have the stats on it and could obviously be quite wrong. However, I am wondering if folks are making too much of this potential issue because of Eli's tendency to let the clock get to :01 and then snap it. Eli does that constantly. When he let's it tick down to :01, we as fans get very anxious, start screaming at the TV and may even throw objects at the screen. Of course, he does indeed snap the ball, so there is no delay of game, but we are left mighty frustrated.

I know he has gotten delay of games and I know he will get more in the future, but I am curious if he has any more than the typical QB. I would wager he doesn't and that we are assuming he does because of our dislike of him letting the clock go to :01, which again, as frustrating as it can be, does not draw a flag.

But again, I don't have the black and white stats on which QB's get the most delay of games, so perhaps I am wrong....
    I bELIeve in February 1, 2015.