+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Giants Want Prince To Be "More Of A Professional," Become Defensive Leader

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...EV3JmlhdKhlLkO

Excerpt: "There are times when Prince Amukamara not only looks wide-eyed but he acts it as well, as if he’s somewhat amazed and perhaps even a bit baffled by his surroundings.

“I think he does it just for attention, to be honest with you,’’ teammate Terrell Thomas said yesterday. “He’s smarter than people think. At the same time he has to lose that little kid sense. Become more of a professional. He just turned 24, third year in the league, first-round pick, he has to pick up the production and be a leader.’’
    As veterans and cornerbacks, Thomas and Corey Webster have leaned on Amukamara, demanding that he pick up the pace of his NFL progress. Do more. Expect more. It hasn’t been a particularly smooth or swift ascension for Amukamara with the Giants, but in his mind he’s on the precipice of fulfilling his potential.

“I want to be the No. 1 corner on this team,’’ Amukamara said after the Giants went through a brief walk-through and then parted ways until training camp. “I feel like right now Corey is and my goal is to always just try to beat him out, and I think as soon as I establish myself as the No. 1 corner then hopefully become the No. 1 corner in the whole league.

“I know that’s going to take work but I mean, guys that came out of my drafting class are doing great, Patrick Peterson and Richard Sherman, those are the guys I kind of compare myself to. I’m just trying to exceed all of them, I guess.’

No one is uttering Amukamara’s name with the best corners in the league, but the Giants would like to think he can rise near the top of the pack. They had Amukamara ranked considerably higher than No. 19, and they could not believe their good fortune when he was sitting there at that spot in the 2011 NFL Draft. The lockout cost him the offseason in his rookie year, a broken left foot limited him to seven games as a rookie and an injection to quiet down the foot kept him on the shelf for last year’s off-season workouts.

Nowadays there are no health issues with Amukamara and he has managed to keep from getting dumped into a cold tub, which shows he’s gaining some respect inside his own locker room. But there’s more work to be done." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Starter
    If he can't beat out CW for a spot-I would be worried. Lets see what camp reveals. These OTAs are not going to determine who starts against Dallas.

Amukamara's personality worries me. Rumor was that he slipped in the draft because teams felt he'd have trouble fitting into a locker room. How has he done so far? Last year, he gets thrown in an ice tub. This year, Terrell Thomas, who is one running-cut away from retirement, calls him out, likening him to a kid. Seriously? Very rarely will locker rooms adjust to someone, that someone has to adjust for the locker room. Amukamara doesn't appear to be doing too well, in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    Amukamara's personality worries me. Rumor was that he slipped in the draft because teams felt he'd have trouble fitting into a locker room. How has he done so far? Last year, he gets thrown in an ice tub. This year, Terrell Thomas, who is one running-cut away from retirement, calls him out, likening him to a kid. Seriously? Very rarely will locker rooms adjust to someone, that someone has to adjust for the locker room. Amukamara doesn't appear to be doing too well, in that respect.
    I have to agree with this (as much as it pains me to )....the kid lacks something. JPP was trying to make him "fight back" with the whole ice tub thing and he just kind of ran off like a scared cat!!

Quote Originally Posted by FBomb View Post
    I have to agree with this (as much as it pains me to )....the kid lacks something. JPP was trying to make him "fight back" with the whole ice tub thing and he just kind of ran off like a scared cat!!
    Haha, yeah that's concerning (the running off, not you agreeing with me lol).

My favorite Amukamara moment was when a WR clearly pushed off him last year, and instead of challenging the ref for a flag, he coerced him with puppy-eyes.

I don't know what to really say about this situation, though, because I've never encountered something like this. It's oddity is amplified by the fact that Amukamara's soft personality doesn't really add up with his ability to play the run stoutly. He's truly an enigma.

He did come off as timid and almost socially awkward coming out of the combine. I still wouldn't hold it against him. Watching Tuck try to be something he isn't has probably messed with his head.

If JPP wanted me to fight back against him, IDK if I would either. JPP is a monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliscruzzz View Post
    If JPP wanted me to fight back against him, IDK if I would either. JPP is a monster.
    From what I understand, there isn't animosity between JPP and Prince. But regardless of their friendship status was, if someone jeopardizes your health by throwing you into a cold tub, you don't mope around speechless afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    From what I understand, there isn't animosity between JPP and Prince. But regardless of their friendship status was, if someone jeopardizes your health by throwing you into a cold tub, you don't mope around speechless afterwards.
    Exactly......you AT LEAST take a swing at him.

Exactly......you AT LEAST take a swing at him.
    Take a swing, get in his face, give him a "WTF is your problem" reaction, idk SOMETHING.

But don't hold your head down, and pace around holding your temples.