+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eagles' Dysfunctional Off Season Continues

Eagles' Dysfunctional Off Season Continues

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

What happened? They're suppose to be the offseason superbowl favorites/dream team for as long as Vick is on their team. That's the running gig.

It's an interesting set of points that Florio brings up. I'm only going to address the QB controversy, though.

Right now, if they were going to announce a starter, it'd be Mike Vick. I don't see how it can't be. Barkley just signed, and he's a third round rookie. Foles is nothing special, and didn't win this year's competition with his play last year. Dixon is...a joke, he's just a joke. With such an inevitable conclusion being called now, it's telling that DJax wants the decision now, whereas Mathis wants a wholesome competition.

Now I might be reaching on this one, but it seems an awful lot to me that DJax (possibly speaking on behalf of the receivers) wants Vick, and Mathis (possibly speaking on behalf the OL) doesn't want Vick. So just like there's a "QB controversy-controversy," there might be an "offensive divide-divide," so to speak.

For Mathis, and the OL, it's pretty clear why they wouldn't want Vick. He's unpredictable: an OL's nightmare. Can he make a good situation out of a botched block? Yeah, but that Pro is outmatched by the Con of blowing way more well-executed blocks.

For DJax, and the receivers, it's pretty clear why they would want Vick. He extends plays: a WR's dream. If you have 4-6 seconds to get open, that's a football-eternity. For someone with Jackson's speed, it's heaven, too. Either he's gonna get deep TDs, or he's gonna use the film to point out all the defensive respect he commands.

There could be a divide within the offense itself, which is even more dysfunction. Florio accounts for it in his video, but doesn't go much further with it.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    It's an interesting set of points that Florio brings up. I'm only going to address the QB controversy, though.

Right now, if they were going to announce a starter, it'd be Mike Vick. I don't see how it can't be. Barkley just signed, and he's a third round rookie. Foles is nothing special, and didn't win this year's competition with his play last year. Dixon is...a joke, he's just a joke. With such an inevitable conclusion being called now, it's telling that DJax wants the decision now, whereas Mathis wants a wholesome competition.

Now I might be reaching on this one, but it seems an awful lot to me that DJax (possibly speaking on behalf of the receivers) wants Vick, and Mathis (possibly speaking on behalf the OL) doesn't want Vick. So just like there's a "QB controversy-controversy," there might be an "offensive divide-divide," so to speak.

For Mathis, and the OL, it's pretty clear why they wouldn't want Vick. He's unpredictable: an OL's nightmare. Can he make a good situation out of a botched block? Yeah, but that Pro is outmatched by the Con of blowing way more well-executed blocks.

For DJax, and the receivers, it's pretty clear why they would want Vick. He extends plays: a WR's dream. If you have 4-6 seconds to get open, that's a football-eternity. For someone with Jackson's speed, it's heaven, too. Either he's gonna get deep TDs, or he's gonna use the film to point out all the defensive respect he commands.

There could be a divide within the offense itself, which is even more dysfunction. Florio accounts for it in his video, but doesn't go much further with it.
    I think Vick will be the starter based strictly on experience. BUT.....I don't hint he'll stay there. He's injury prone and with all the concussions he has had throughout his career I can see Barkley coming in and starting most of the season. This divide is the worst thing a rookie coach can ask for. And the egos in that locker room will only add to the coaches challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    I think Vick will be the starter based strictly on experience. BUT.....I don't hint he'll stay there. He's injury prone and with all the concussions he has had throughout his career I can see Barkley coming in and starting most of the season. This divide is the worst thing a rookie coach can ask for. And the egos in that locker room will only add to the coaches challenges.
    Agreed. Vick has first dibs to embarrass himself, haha.

+ Reply to Thread