Closed Thread
Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: strange confidence in Eli going into the season

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    I think he just trusted his pops.
    Me too, but I was making my own business decisions when I was 21 and I am relatively certain the money involved was a factor.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Me too, but I was making my own business decisions when I was 21 and I am relatively certain the money involved was a factor.
    In what respect, advertising? You're not suggesting the Chargers would have been less generous than the Giants are you?

Quote Originally Posted by repeatchamps View Post
    His O-line was far superior to the Giants O-line for many years. The one season the Giants arguably had the better O-line for the first time over San Diego was the 12-4 2008 season. The last 2 - 3 seasons both O-lines have begun to deteriorate and it is debateable who's squad has been better. Don't throw sack numbers at me either because Eli is likely rushed to get the pass off more than Rivers has been overall. You can not factor in weather all you like but playing in San Diego's benign weather conditions 8 games every autumn/winter (not including any playoff games) is far more favorable to a QB than one that plays in northern NJ. Also they get to play in Oakland's benign weather at least once a season as well.
    No SD line was worse than ours the last couple of years and its not even close. I'm going to throw sack numbers at you because they are relevant. He got sacked 48 times last year. I had Gates on my FF so I watched their games. The line was really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    In what respect, advertising? You're not suggesting the Chargers would have been less generous than the Giants are you?
    I have no idea, but I do know we spent a boatload to entice him and I am willing to bet there were negotiations going on outside the boundaries of the existing CBA well in advance of the actual maneuvering at the draft. I have always felt it was tacky, at best, but it's now history.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    I didn't see it as a demand, he just didn't want to play for them. He asked them not to draft them and they did anyway.
    That's not an option you have. If I have the option of drafting the #1 pick in the draft I have the rights to the best player available. He should be happy to have a chance to play football for a living.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    No SD line was worse than ours the last couple of years and its not even close. I'm going to throw sack numbers at you because they are relevant. He got sacked 48 times last year. I had Gates on my FF so I watched their games. The line was really bad.
    The Giants O-line in the same years you are referring to has been questionable at best in pass blocking. Sack numbers are irrelevant because Eli has the ability to get rid of the ball very quickly limiting sacks against. Meanwhile Rivers due to various factors takes way more sacks than Eli ever does under a similar pass rush to what Rivers has faced in the last couple of years you are referring to. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I have watched Chargers games on NFL ticket almost as much as I have Giants games and have done so since both guys became starters for their respective teams so I can make my own judgements/comparisons of their careers and I'm telling you without a doubt that over their entire careers Rivers has had the better O-line more times than not.
    Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Quote Originally Posted by fansince69 View Post
    Every one loves to point out Eli's clutch games.... I am not arguing....but about half of those games... a comeback wouldn't have been needed If he had just been adequate in the first half
    This is a frequent--on this board--statement regurgitated every time the issue of Eli's clutch factor is raised, and it is irrelevant every time. And just plain ridiculous.

Your statement can be raised about every QB comeback.

Yet do you say the same thing about Montana and all his comebacks? About Peyton and Brady) comeback ability? About Elway and Marino when they had thrilling comeback games? About Unitas? All of these QBs (and a few others throughout history) have been, and continue to be, praised by anyone you can think of--players, ex players, coaches, pundits, fans, HOF writer-voters--for their extraordinary "comeback ability". Which of these QBs would you say had their comebacks in games that they were more than adequate in the first half?

This ability is in fact highly regarded in the select few QBs who are good at it throughout their career. And Eli--only at mid career so far--is include in this select group. There's a reason for that.

Because all players are human. Because football is a team sport and sometimes other components come up short for a while. Because most pro football games have an ebb and flow to them. Because pro football is not like college ball where superior teams routinely play drastically inferior teams to vastly lopsided scores and total number of points can impact post season positioning.

And because of these facts of pro football life, it is impressive (and highly valued) when the QB can not only lead the team to overcome earlier deficiencies, but can do it repeatedly and can do it in big games as well.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    and for me, its way different with eli making the mistakes hes made, and learning/progressing seadily over the years as opposed to rivers and this huge regresion. eli has had his share of moronic plays. but thats something thats improving over time, not regressing over time like rivers. if eli were making the mistakes he was making in succession, each on worse than the next, and continually getting worse, i'd say the same thing about eli as i am right now about rivers.
    A reasonable person could argue that Eli regressed last season.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Were you a blue chip athlete from a famous family where everyone was telling you how great you were?
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Rivers is Eli with a higher QBR , a more consistent arm, and worse in the clutch, and no rings.

Closed Thread