+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blog Bits: Cornerbacks Coach Peter Giunta

Blog Bits: Cornerbacks Coach Peter Giunta

http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/6265

Excerpt: "We switch things up a bit to bring you our cornerbacks coach Peter Giunta. Giunta is a favorite to speak with because he’s very candid. We found his responses to questions about Corey Webster to be of particular interest.

Q: Jayron Hosley had a bit of a bumpy rookie year last season. Did he have too much on his plate last year that slowed him down a bit in his development as a corner?
    A: No, I don’t think so. I think what happened with him, every time he started to make progress, he’d be injured and would be out 2-3 weeks, and wasn’t able to practice or compete and play in games. That’ sets you back, especially as a rookie. So take the Jets game, every time he starts to make progress, he gets hurt. Carolina game, he has a really good game making plays, and then he gets hurt. That’s unfortunate for him, so he has to learn to take care of his body better, get himself in shape and do the kind of things that he needs to do to become a more durable player because he has the talent to be a good football player at this level.

Q: Does he have a good grasp of the playbook and of the technique, you want him to play?
    A: He’s learning. He’s becoming a better technician, playing inside and playing outside, so he’s developing those skills to play both the nickel and corner spot, and he got experience doing both last year. There’s a lot playing the nickel spot and the more he does it, like we discussed earlier, with the injuries, you start getting the reps you need and start gaining the experience and then suddenly you don’t have it so you only gain those 2 weeks in one spot and then you’re away from it for four. So it’s hard that way when you lose that time. You need experience to play that spot. The more experience you get, the better you’ll get. He can play any of the corner spots we need him to, so that’s huge.

Q: What are your thoughts about Corey Webster’s play last season? Is he on the decline or does he still have some gas left in the tank?
    A: Corey will be better. He’s been working very hard to come back and be a better player, become more like he was more at the end of the 2011 season when we had that run and he was very consistent in his performance. And that’s what we’re looking for, for Corey to be a consistent performer for us this year.

Q: So is it safe to say that the injuries he dealt with last year were a big reason in his performance drop off or was there more to it?
    A: Part of it was the injuries and part of it was my fault. I’m trying to bring Prince and Jayron along and you’re thinking, “Corey is okay,’ so you’re not devoting enough time with him as you might be with the other guys, so you’re putting it on him being the veteran to find his own way. I think maybe I kind of left Corey alone too much." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

I like this guy
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

He makes a great point about Hosley's progression last season. He had that good game in Carolina; then hurts his hamstring and once he gets back on the field it's like he's starting from square one again.
    Also like the answer he gave about Webster's season. "Part of it injuries, part of it my fault" its easy to just blame the player on his performance, but it takes a lot to put part of the blame on yourself.

I like that he puts some of the blame on himself. THAT is how you improve things which is what we need.

# 80

Encouraging to hear him talk about Prince's committment to the weight room and off season programs.

Nice read, like his straight forward discussion of where things are with his players.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I like that he puts some of the blame on himself. THAT is how you improve things which is what we need.
    What I like more is that he's less interested in assigning blame and more into just trying to fix what is broken. Hopefully he's right about Webster, since I felt (and still feel) from his 2012 play that he's physically done.

All-Pro
    The secondary is scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    What I like more is that he's less interested in assigning blame and more into just trying to fix what is broken. Hopefully he's right about Webster, since I felt (and still feel) from his 2012 play that he's physically done.
    We have to believe the coaches know things we don't, see things we don't, and have the skills to bring the best out of each player.

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    The secondary is scary.
    Scary good or bad?? I really don't think that they are going to be as bad as they have been. I know it's not saying much but we'll see.

+ Reply to Thread