+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: Bear Pascoe our converted Fullback

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    For me, serviceable is a low bar meant for non starters, good locker room influence, reserved for guys who stay healthy, keep their noses clean and who can help out in a number of areas. For me, Bear meets that threshold however if we find someone better, he is expendable. We might be splitting hairs here but serviceable and expendable are about an eighth inch apart for me.
    to me, the definition of a "serviceable" guy is a guy who may not be great or even good, but gets the job done.

    I do not see how anyone can say the Bear gets the job done, especially as a TE. For example would you consider Beckum, released last year to be a "serviceable" player? Because his stats were better than Pascoe's. It used to be people would argue" but bear is a blocking TE" however, that simply isn't the case. In fact, he is a far better lead blocker than he ever was at end line blocking, and he is marginal at that. We didn't even use him as a end line blocker last year, instead often choosing to bring in tackles to play the extra TE in goaline situations.

    I am merely pointing out that I do believe he is 1 of the guys who is battling for a spot this year and isn't a given as Egyptian implied above.

    Again, there have been a very large number of somewhat abnormal circumstances that allowed him to stay with the team in recent years. His biggest asset is that he can be a backup FB, which is his only hope this year imho. Again, I can look down the roster of last year and find maybe 1 player who contributed less than Pascoe. It seems pretty simple logic to try to improve our roster from top to bottom you 1st start by trying to get players in who contribute more.
    Last edited by BlueSanta; 06-20-2013 at 08:30 PM.

  2. #32
    All-Pro jomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    17,955
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    to me, the definition of a "serviceable" guy is a guy who may not be great or even good, but gets the job done.

    I do not see how anyone can say the Bear gets the job done, especially as a TE. For example would you consider Beckum, released last year to be a "serviceable" player? Because his stats were better than Pascoe's. It used to be people would argue" but bear is a blocking TE" however, that simply isn't the case. In fact, he is a far better lead blocker than he ever was at end line blocking, and he is marginal at that. We didn't even use him as a end line blocker last year, instead often choosing to bring in tackles to play the extra TE in goaline situations.

    I am merely pointing out that I do believe he is 1 of the guys who is battling for a spot this year and isn't a given as Egyptian implied above.

    Again, there have been a very large number of somewhat abnormal circumstances that allowed him to stay with the team in recent years. His biggest asset is that he can be a backup FB, which is his only hope this year imho. Again, I can look down the roster of last year and find maybe 1 player who contributed less than Pascoe. It seems pretty simple logic to try to improve our roster from top to bottom you 1st start by trying to get players in who contribute more.
    I'm not far from you but part of "serviceable" includes "cheap." If we could toss him and replace him with a better minimum contract player (which is what he is making now) I am sure JR would do it.
    No one remembers who came in second.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    I'm not far from you but part of "serviceable" includes "cheap." If we could toss him and replace him with a better minimum contract player (which is what he is making now) I am sure JR would do it.
    I agree price has something to do with it. But most 3rd TEs in the league are paid the minimum. I think the guy Pascoe has to worry abot this year is Chase Clement. He is actually a blocking TE from LSU who Pope has said good things about. Being a RFA, I believe he would actually make less than Pascoe too. So your argument may not work in Bear's favor.

  4. #34
    All-Pro jomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    17,955
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    I agree price has something to do with it. But most 3rd TEs in the league are paid the minimum. I think the guy Pascoe has to worry abot this year is Chase Clement. He is actually a blocking TE from LSU who Pope has said good things about. Being a RFA, I believe he would actually make less than Pascoe too. So your argument may not work in Bear's favor.
    lol, I'm not agruing anything in Chase's favor. I love when second tier guys are sent packing. I trust the coaches and that tells me we are upgrading.
    No one remembers who came in second.

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    lol, I'm not agruing anything in Chase's favor. I love when second tier guys are sent packing. I trust the coaches and that tells me we are upgrading.
    Well again, I am merely arguing with those that think Pascoe is a lock. He isn't. Not by a long shot. He has barely made the team almost every year with us and his production, which was never much, is on a decline. That's not a good combination.

  6. #36
    All-Pro TCHOF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5,083
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I disagree. They signed him for a year when Hynoski was healthy. I don't think we're overloaded at TE
    My original point was that he would be cut if we picked up another FB and Hynoski came back. In that case, his flexibility as a TE and backup FB would not be needed.

  7. #37
    Veteran poppa smurph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    moncton, NB
    Posts
    1,844
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    They'll look at any TE these days.
    Yeah.. things aren't so rosie in Chowdah Town.
    2 points here...
    Pascoe does offer the versatility that BB covets.. and
    For the love of Pete.. These " professional " football players that make all this money can't afford to employ just 1 person to do some additional thinking for them to keep them out of situations like this....take a lesson from the Godfather... you're not as smart as you think you are!
    my beer drinking team has a football problem

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    When Hynoski comes back, the season will have already started so Pascoe will make the team.
    when he comes back. by that time, pascoe will have put a notch or two, hopefully good in his belt. he could then go back to TE or be a second FB option behind hynoski.
    Formerly Brandon Jacobs

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I disagree. They signed him for a year when Hynoski was healthy. I don't think we're overloaded at TE
    It all depends on how long Hyno is out. If they have to use the new 6 week IR, then they will have to cut somebody upon Hyno's return.

  10. #40
    All-Pro Captain Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Emerald Isle, N.C.
    Posts
    9,326
    Pascoe's versatility will help him make the team this year; however, if Hyno was healthy I don't think I would be as certain....

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts