+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear Pascoe our converted Fullback

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    If we pick up another FB (we've sniffed around a few) and Hynoski comes back, Pascoe won't even make the team. He's a nice story but he is only just barely an NFL caliber player.
    When Hynoski comes back, the season will have already started so Pascoe will make the team.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Veteran
    Bear is a valuable player to have. He can play two different positions, and has always stepped in at either when needed and done a suitable job. Sure we don't want him as a long term starter at TE or FB, but as a guy who steps up when others are injured, I'm fine going with him until Hyno gets healthy..

It's a great thing when you have a player like Bear. i don't understand why people knock on him. I thought at first the analysts were making fun of him when going over the SF/Giants playoff highlights in his TD.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue wins View Post
    It's a great thing when you have a player like Bear. i don't understand why people knock on him. I thought at first the analysts were making fun of him when going over the SF/Giants playoff highlights in his TD.
    Sometimes, the fact that a player isn't labeled a "starter" results in people thinking they aren't NFL worthy.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    When Hynoski comes back, the season will have already started so Pascoe will make the team.
    Can they still move Pascoe when Hynoski comes back? I don't want them to, just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliscruzzz View Post
    Can they still move Pascoe when Hynoski comes back? I don't want them to, just wondering.
    They can always release a player, but I don't think they would release Pascoe. He only has a one year deal and he does provide versatility no one else already on the team can.

# 80

Sometimes, the fact that a player isn't labeled a "starter" results in people thinking they aren't NFL worthy.
    Its not only bigoted but ignorant. Football, like any team sport, fields a group of people who contribute toward the 'W'

Anyone who has played or still plays a team sport (should) know this. One would think the analysts would know better or as much.

Depends on when he comes back . . . you would obviously be correct if he comes back after the season started. In that case, Pascoe would have technically "made the team" but would be summarily cut upon Hynsoki's return.

We al want Pascoe to be a success because he is the hard working , not so talented underdog. Who doesn't root for that guy? But lets be honest here, over the last few years he has had an amazing string of lucky circumstances that allowed him to remain on the Roster. Ben Patrick retiring at 27. Losing Ballard and Beckum to injuries that both lasted far longer than initially thought. Then the Pats sly move nabbing Ballard from our roster. The Raiders offering Kevin Boss a ridiculous contract. The injury to Hedge****. Every single 1 of these events opened up a roster spot, in most cases the 3rd TE spot which allowed us to keep Pascoe.

People like to call him a blocking TE. That isn't true. He isn't very good at blocking, at least at the end of the line. Last year, he was used VERY sparingly even for that. Instead the Giants opted to being in an extra tackle to play TE in goaline situations rather than use Pascoe most of the time.

Typically we have been reluctant to throw to him in any situation down the field. Most of his receptions were on dumpoffs and screens of less than 5 yards. He isn't a very good receiver and last year his 4 receptions emphasize this point.

So lets not turn him into something he isn't. The fact is he has made the team for 1 reason, he can be a backup FB, that is all. I say this because his contributions as a TE were negligible.

I challenge anyone to go through last years active roster and find a player who contributed less than Bear Pascoe. It isn't easy. I think it is safe to say the Giants would like to at least try to get more out of every spot on that 53 man roster and if you doing a roster analysis, you have to at least look at that 3rd TE spot and say "couldn't we get more out of that guy than 4 receptions and very little blocking for an entire year?"

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    We al want Pascoe to be a success because he is the hard working , not so talented underdog. Who doesn't root for that guy? But lets be honest here, over the last few years he has had an amazing string of lucky circumstances that allowed him to remain on the Roster. Ben Patrick retiring at 27. Losing Ballard and Beckum to injuries that both lasted far longer than initially thought. Then the Pats sly move nabbing Ballard from our roster. The Raiders offering Kevin Boss a ridiculous contract. The injury to Hedge****. Every single 1 of these events opened up a roster spot, in most cases the 3rd TE spot which allowed us to keep Pascoe.

People like to call him a blocking TE. That isn't true. He isn't very good at blocking, at least at the end of the line. Last year, he was used VERY sparingly even for that. Instead the Giants opted to being in an extra tackle to play TE in goaline situations rather than use Pascoe most of the time.

Typically we have been reluctant to throw to him in any situation down the field. Most of his receptions were on dumpoffs and screens of less than 5 yards. He isn't a very good receiver and last year his 4 receptions emphasize this point.

So lets not turn him into something he isn't. The fact is he has made the team for 1 reason, he can be a backup FB, that is all. I say this because his contributions as a TE were negligible.

I challenge anyone to go through last years active roster and find a player who contributed less than Bear Pascoe. It isn't easy. I think it is safe to say the Giants would like to at least try to get more out of every spot on that 53 man roster and if you doing a roster analysis, you have to at least look at that 3rd TE spot and say "couldn't we get more out of that guy than 4 receptions and very little blocking for an entire year?"
    My sentiments exactly. Good post.

+ Reply to Thread