+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48

Thread: Thoughts on our TE situation?

  1. #11
    myers will be a solid checkdown option similar to witten for dallas. i expect we'll try and target him downfield some too, but iirc and I'm fairly certain because it was such a strong statistic, of the 80something receptions he had for Oakland last yr, none were of the kind where the ball traveled 20 yds or more. He was pretty much strictly an underneath/intermediate type TE. ALmost exactly like Witten. Which is why I'm thinking we signed him.

    Now, I really wouldnt write home about Bear Pascoe, but he has come through in some big spots. made a nice TD grab vs SF in the NFC CG, made some nice catches in the SB when called upon after the injury devastated our TE position. So, we really could do much worse at the 2 TE spot, but I dont even think he makes it there on the depth bc he will be primarily a FB for a while.

    WHich leads me to A.Robinson. If he's the "JPP of TE's" as JR dubbed (and he's been pretty spectacular in his player assessments) we gotta see something from him this yr. Dont know how u could keep a guy with that kinda upside to be termed that by the GM, off the field? He's as athletic as a WR, and from what I understand, has made some significant strides in blocking. I expect he'll start the season out as our #2 TE and that'd speak to his talent bc he is still young/raw. And I expect we'll have some plays where he displays that athleticism and blocking ability.


    Outlook is pretty awesome IF, big if, IF JR's assessment of A.Robinson is close.

  2. #12
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    36,875
    Theres a video on youtube of all of Myers catches from last year.

    Hes a pretty talented receiver.

    Did bug me how often he seemed to be tackled short of the first down on 3rd downs, but the raiders didnt exactly have a high powered offense.

  3. #13
    All-Pro jomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    19,412
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Theres a video on youtube of all of Myers catches from last year.

    Hes a pretty talented receiver.

    Did bug me how often he seemed to be tackled short of the first down on 3rd downs, but the raiders didnt exactly have a high powered offense.
    We definitely got a bit of an upgrade to Myers from the Unicorn.
    No one remembers who came in second.

  4. #14
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    36,875
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    We definitely got a bit of an upgrade to Myers from the Unicorn.
    I thought Bennett was a better receiver, and a far far better blocker

  5. #15
    All-Pro jomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    19,412
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    I thought Bennett was a better receiver, and a far far better blocker
    Well I said a bit of an upgrade but we won't know until we see Myers in action for us. I know that Bennet was a better blocker but believe that Myers could eclipse him as a receiver. Didn't we get Myers for less than the market paid Bennett? If so, it was definitely a win for us, leaving some bucks to be spent elsewhere.
    No one remembers who came in second.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    Well I said a bit of an upgrade but we won't know until we see Myers in action for us. I know that Bennet was a better blocker but believe that Myers could eclipse him as a receiver. Didn't we get Myers for less than the market paid Bennett? If so, it was definitely a win for us, leaving some bucks to be spent elsewhere.
    I feel like Bennett tended to drop balls in big situation ...or at least disappeared...as Opposed to the way Ballard always seemed to make a big catch......numbers wise they were pretty even....it just seemed like Ballards meant more...... I think Myers numbers will end up being very similar to his 2 predecessors because that just seems to be how the tight ends fits into Gilbride's system
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

    1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    I thought Bennett was a better receiver, and a far far better blocker
    i agree and still feel that way. do u have a link for that clip with myers receptions? could u tell me off ur head if he had any receptions of 20 yds or more (where the ball traveled 20 yds or more) i think i read that of all his 80 plus catches, none were for more thna 20 yds in the air

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by fansince69 View Post
    I feel like Bennett tended to drop balls in big situation ...or at least disappeared...as Opposed to the way Ballard always seemed to make a big catch......numbers wise they were pretty even....it just seemed like Ballards meant more...... I think Myers numbers will end up being very similar to his 2 predecessors because that just seems to be how the tight ends fits into Gilbride's system
    well dont forget, bennett set a giant record for tds in his first 3 games as a giant. he was killing it until he hyper extended that knee. he had that span where he was still contributing but just not at that pace for the first 3 games. i feel he ended up having a solid yr and woulda had a crazy 2nd yr. what can ya do...

  9. #19
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    36,875
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    i agree and still feel that way. do u have a link for that clip with myers receptions? could u tell me off ur head if he had any receptions of 20 yds or more (where the ball traveled 20 yds or more) i think i read that of all his 80 plus catches, none were for more thna 20 yds in the air
    http://youtu.be/VkIk0or9Fzk

    I don't think there were any 20+ yard catches. But that's a scheme thing too. He really doesn't run deep at all. Just crossing routes over the middle about 5-10 yards deep

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    well dont forget, bennett set a giant record for tds in his first 3 games as a giant. he was killing it until he hyper extended that knee. he had that span where he was still contributing but just not at that pace for the first 3 games. i feel he ended up having a solid yr and woulda had a crazy 2nd yr. what can ya do...
    I agree he defiantly contributed ...it just never seemed like it was in big spots in the game....I am not going by stats just by what my eyes were telling me..
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

    1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts