+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pats starting TE Jake Ballard?

Quote Originally Posted by zimonami View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...njured-players Doesn't sound promising. Still has a 'discernible limp. TCHOF could be very wrong... Tebow could get a sniff. Brady missing Welker and his usual TE's means someone else gets a chance. Someone will step up, and I hope Ballard gets well enuf to be effective come September and Puts up some solid numbers. Honestly, I'm not a Brady fan, but I recognize how good he is, and that he could make Ballard relevant. Jakes a tough, solid guy. Had good hands when Eli threw it to him... and surely Belichick remembered the great game he had to help us beat them at their park.
    The idea that Tebow, who has never ever played the position of TE, could just step in and play that position for the first time at the NFL level, is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    The idea that Tebow, who has never ever played the position of TE, could just step in and play that position for the first time at the NFL level, is just silly.
    Normally I agree... but Tebow is a good athlete and TE size. How tough is he? I feel confidant Belichick is going to find a way to use him. I don't know if he can block at a Pro level, but there is no doubt he can run a TE pattern with decent speed, and he probably has decent hands. I wouldn't be surprised at all. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by zimonami View Post
    Normally I agree... but Tebow is a good athlete and TE size. How tough is he? I feel confidant Belichick is going to find a way to use him. I don't know if he can block at a Pro level, but there is no doubt he can run a TE pattern with decent speed, and he probably has decent hands. I wouldn't be surprised at all. Time will tell.
    He has to learn a ton to switch positions. And unless something has changed, Tebow is still unwilling to move from QB. If he had a full offseason at TE he might be able to contribute a bit from the position. Otherwise there's really no chance

Maybe they should pick up Beckum . . . .

Can Tebow block, run routes and catch? What makes people think he can play tight end?

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Can Tebow block, run routes and catch? What makes people think he can play tight end?
    He's a good athlete. I don't think there's any question he can run routes. If he knows what routes his TE runs when HE calls a play as a QB, then... DUH!!! He will know every man's assignment on every offensive play He's as big and fast as other TE's, so if he has heart he can do a passable job at blocking. I'd bet anything he has strong hands... a prerequisite to catching a pass.. TE is a position for big, athletic guys who can block. They don't always block... sometimes they simply brush block going out on a pattern, or go to the pattern without blocking. This is not rocket science and requires a good big athlete with decent hands and a set of balls. Tebow is a very good possibility to run 6-8 plays at the position every game... if he wants it bad enough. I can't guarantee it, but I feel strongly he can do a decent job there. What does Beckum have that Tebow does not have? Tebow can be at least a passable TE, and a surprise to the D. He can take a pitch on a reverse and throw or run off of that. I will bet that if Belichick wants it to work, we will see a whole lot more than the Jets did with him. Anyone remember Vrable, with Belichick? He was excellent running plays as an eligible lineman/TE... and, when he played that position he went out for a pass more than he blocked at the line. Flip... if you don't think Tebow can play TE, you are very wrong... he has the knowledge, the size, speed, probably has decent hands, and at his size he can block if he wants to.

+ Reply to Thread