+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coach-Talk: Hermann On Linebackers

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...on-linebackers

Excerpt: "With the Giants off until training camp, we're periodically taking a look at what the coaches are saying about how their positions looked this offseason in OTAs.

Herrmann said the most important thing, in the wake of changes to the linebackers group, is developing a cohesive unit. Mathias Kiwanuka is moving back to defensive end andChase Blackburn and Michael Boley are no longer with the team.

"This is basically a new group of guys," Herrmann said recently. "And I think the biggest thing right now is we are going out and learning what to do and competing. To me, the competition is going to keep going and keep going and keep going –- which is going to make us all better."

Situational subs: Herrmann was asked whether situations will dictate who plays at linebacker.

Is it possible that Herzlich could start at middle linebacker in some games, based on the opponent's tendencies, and the following week a new starter could be in there against a different type of offense?

"I think that is a big part of the NFL game today," Herrmann said. "It is very situational. It is dictated a lot by the offense -– what is the offense running? Who is going to be out there? What are our best matchups? Because the NFL is a game of matchups."

Perhaps the Giants can go with Herzlich, Dan Connor and Aaron Curry at middle linebacker depending on the type of offense they are facing on a given Sunday. In passing situations when the Giants use two linebackers, Fewell could go with Williams, Rivers and/or Paysinger. " Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

In other words the linebacker position is what us fans have known for a few years now. Weak...

Giants fan since the early 80s

Thank God they are moving Kiwi back to DE. One of the biggest mistakes PF has made.

Second on Kiwi moving back to DE. He was just so lost in space on passing plays. Whoever starts in the middle has to be able to cover the field on passing plays. Connor is probably the better tackler but Herzlich might be the better cover guy.

Except Kiwi has been a LB since Spags.

I'm hoping Herzlich steps up, but Curry might pan out as a decent option at MLB. He's physically a powerful dude.....just not good in coverage.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    Except Kiwi has been a LB since Spags.
    and it was a way to get him on the field....the first couple years he would have 4th man in the DE rotation...him playing LB put the best players on the field
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Quote Originally Posted by ny06 View Post
    In other words the linebacker position is what us fans have known for a few years now. Weak...
    lol - prob what perry fewell says too

Quote Originally Posted by ny06 View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more NY06. When the LB coach says that the most important thing is to put together a cohesive unit, that is code for "I've got nothing to work with here." Sad but simple truth.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more NY06. When the LB coach says that the most important thing is to put together a cohesive unit, that is code for "I've got nothing to work with here." Sad but simple truth.
    LOL......dude, you didn't get the message board memo....all we need are defensive linemen.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 06-21-2013 at 12:46 AM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell