+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jake Ballard

well to be fair, gronk had a back issue in college, and had already had the forearm issue before signing ballard as well as the ankle that plagued him in the sb and leading up to it.
    NE could have very well believed hernandez to be a nut job who could threaten some playing time altho i doubt anything this serious (murder charge).

I dont think they'd just randomly sign Ballard. So maybe there is some truth to Ballard being an insurance policy for the two TE's starting for them already. Keep in mind, NE also had signed a bunch of TE's last yr even as well (Winslow, Alge Crumpler, Ben Watson altho not sure about him, Ballard)...so I think it is safe to say that at the least there was some concern about the longivity of one of the TE's at least...

am I way off here?

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    BB got lucky with Ballard.....he is no genius for that move.
    You are right, he has made an entire career out of being lucky.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Are you suggesting he knew Hernandez and Gronkowski would not be playing? And that Ballard will be the player he was before his serious injiry?
    Do we know Ballard's health status?
    No one remembers who came in second.

The Pats better hope things with Ballard works out because Hernandez goes into prison as a 'tight end' but he'll come out as a 'wide receiver'

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Yes, because BB foresaw that Hernandez was going to get arrested and released when he made that move.

Make some sense.
    It was an excellent move on BB's part because it only cost them around $500,000 last year and they added a young, quality, TE to the depth of their roster. It was a smart move because it cost them very little money and you never know when what appears to be depth at a position (Gronk and Hernandez) suddenly disappears to injuries or other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    well to be fair, gronk had a back issue in college, and had already had the forearm issue before signing ballard as well as the ankle that plagued him in the sb and leading up to it.
    NE could have very well believed hernandez to be a nut job who could threaten some playing time altho i doubt anything this serious (murder charge).

I dont think they'd just randomly sign Ballard. So maybe there is some truth to Ballard being an insurance policy for the two TE's starting for them already. Keep in mind, NE also had signed a bunch of TE's last yr even as well (Winslow, Alge Crumpler, Ben Watson altho not sure about him, Ballard)...so I think it is safe to say that at the least there was some concern about the longivity of one of the TE's at least...

am I way off here?
    No, you're not off, but I doubt it's even that complex. Ballard was the real deal in 2011, came from a great coaching staff, played in a similarly challenging system, and posed zero risk as a waiver pickup.

I would say that Gronk's back, and Hernandez's personality played a very small part in the decision.

Banned
    Yes, because BB foresaw that Hernandez was going to get arrested and released when he made that move.

Make some sense.
    Nah. Perhaps he signed Jake Ballard because Gronk had some injury troubles and he wanted to add some experienced depth at TE. That would make a heck of a lot more sense than the idiotic conspiracy theorists on this board claiming that Coach Bellichek signed him in order to "stick it" to NY Giants.

You go make some sense.
    Last edited by BuffyBlueII; 06-27-2013 at 03:12 AM.

Banned
    Yeah, he must have thought that when he handed out that 5 year, $40m contract last year.
    That they just got of paying because Hernandez violated the morals clause in it.

Make some sense or at least think before you post.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffyBlueII View Post
    I guess right now all the "experts" that were claiming that Coach Bellichek signed Jake Ballard just to stick it to us and nothing more, have nothing to say. Considering the situation NE Patriots find themselves in at TE, the Jake Ballard signing seems like a brilliant move by Coach Bellichek. They sure are going to need jake Ballard this season.
    Well, then I guess in the same token BB is a complete moron for giving a 5 year extension to a player that a year later would be arrested and cut from the team.

And I'm not sure how much Brady "needs" any single player, since he's pretty much made a good player out of all of his receivers.
    All Hail The New York Giants!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue@NYC View Post
    Well, then I guess in the same token BB is a complete moron for giving a 5 year extension to a player that a year later would be arrested and cut from the team.

And I'm not sure how much Brady "needs" any single player, since he's pretty much made a good player out of all of his receivers.
    Regardless, the comments of "Bellichek just signed Ballard to stick to NY Giants" were idiotic when they were first posted and now look even more so.