+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Agent's Take: 15 Star Players At Career Crossroads

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...eer-crossroads

Excerpt: "A different set of NFL players face a crossroads for a variety reasons (age, contract, injury, off-the-field issues, etc.) each NFL season. Here's a look at some key players facing a crossroads heading into the 2013 season.

Hakeem Nicks (WR)-New York Giants

Nicks is willing to play out the final year of his five-year rookie contract. He had a disappointing 2012 campaign, which was the worst statistical season of his four-year NFL career, because of knee and foot injuries. Nicks caught 53 passes for 692 yards and three touchdowns. In the two previous seasons, he had 155 receptions for 2,244 yards and 18 touchdowns. Nicks could receive a new deal during the 2013 season if he quickly returns to his 2010 and 2011 form and the impasse with restricted free agent Victor Cruz can't be broken. The Giants do not want to be in a position with both starting wide receivers unsigned long term heading into 2014 where they must use their franchise tag on one receiver while the other becomes an unrestricted free agent. As an outside receiver who is considered as a deep threat, Nicks could command a contract in excess of $10 million per year with a bounce-back season." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

If Reese is able to get Cruz, Nicks, and JPP signed long term and still maintain this team he deserves GM of the century
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

Quote Originally Posted by MattMeyerBud View Post
    If Reese is able to get Cruz, Nicks, and JPP signed long term and still maintain this team he deserves GM of the century
    He can I think. The question about Nicks and JPP is the numbers following injuries/surgery. Hopefully both will be unaffected
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Add Tuck to the list. It's put up or shut up time for Tuck.

I think I actually read in one of the articles you posted a while ago RF, that after the 2013 season or the 2014 season? we get a ton of relief on the cap, and should actually not have much issue keeping those guys.

the level of quality surrounding those guys might not be what we have now bc of the fact we got some of these guys on rookie/great deal contracts. but, we shouldnt have an issue keeping JPP, Nicks, n even Cruz iirc...i'll go look for the article. i think tho, i may have made this same mistake before and misread/misinterpreted the article, but i"ve now seen this topic of discussion a few times in different articles and i think we should be good if we can get past this cruz hurdle

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    I think I actually read in one of the articles you posted a while ago RF, that after the 2013 season or the 2014 season? we get a ton of relief on the cap, and should actually not have much issue keeping those guys.

the level of quality surrounding those guys might not be what we have now bc of the fact we got some of these guys on rookie/great deal contracts. but, we shouldnt have an issue keeping JPP, Nicks, n even Cruz iirc...i'll go look for the article. i think tho, i may have made this same mistake before and misread/misinterpreted the article, but i"ve now seen this topic of discussion a few times in different articles and i think we should be good if we can get past this cruz hurdle
    We have a lot of players hitting free agency in 2014 as well as several one year signings this season. The CAP situation should be much better for Reese to do what he feels he needs to do.

Veteran
    Reese will be faced I think with the toughest part of his tener really starting this offseason going foward for the next couple... It'll be interesting to see. I'm just glad we have him as I'm fully confident in his ability to run and manage his team.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    We have a lot of players hitting free agency in 2014 as well as several one year signings this season. The CAP situation should be much better for Reese to do what he feels he needs to do.
    I was unaware of this before I posted my last comment. That's good news!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLnygIN View Post
    I was unaware of this before I posted my last comment. That's good news!
    A lot will also depend on how players like Nicks and JPP perform in 2013. We've been wathing the Cruz negotiations unfold and it's very likely both Nicks and JPP's negotiations will be just as difficult. Reese will use whatever leverage he can and that will include their health and 2013 numbers.

crossroads player

Aaron Hernandez NE Patriots, only it wasn't a road chosen, but a path as in socio- or psycho-. He was a known commodity with a background. No other teams wanted anything to do with him at draft time. NE knew he would be a ticking time-bomb so snatched Ballard for when it happened.