+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Safety Has Sacrificed Stats By Switching Positions When Needed

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...Sg3Wr7LUP6QI8M

Excerpt: "Antrel Rolle considers himself to be a Pro Bowl player, but for the past two years the rest of the NFL did not. He says he is going to change that perception.

“Absolutely, there’s no doubt about it,’’ Rolle said recently.

There is no talk from Rolle about a return to form, a return to health or a return to the lineup. In his three years with the Giants, Rolle always has been there, starting all 52 games (counting the postseason) but his impact seemingly has ebbed and flowed with the rise and fall of the entire Giants defense. He is an every-down player, never coming off the field, but as the point-prevention operation sagged and clunked through a historically bad season last year, Rolle often appeared to blend into the badness.

Rolle never will evaluate his performance by such pedestrian standards.
    “Last year I just didn’t have the numbers as far as interceptions and things of that nature,’’ Rolle said, “but as far as just being a football player and going out there and playing the position I need to play and being that role player for my team … I’ve been All-Pro. But that’s not what you get measured at within this league. Teams notice you. I’m sure the offensive coordinator on the other team knows where Antrel is going to be at any point in time.’’

It no longer is a dirty little secret within the Giants defense that Rolle rarely plays his natural position, which is free safety. It is not a sign of decline that Rolle has just five interceptions in his three seasons with the Giants after amassing 10 interceptions in his previous three years with the Cardinals. With the Giants too often a man down at cornerback, Rolle has been asked — actually told — that for the greater good of the defense, he must spend far too much time playing nickel cornerback, perhaps the most demanding spot in the entire secondary. Rolle can do it, but not at the heightened level he reaches when allowed to roam at deep safety." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

It no longer is a dirty little secret within the Giants defense that Rolle rarely plays his natural position, which is free safety.

Deep coverage may be Rolle's worst facet. As nice as the concept of interchangeable safeties is, I'm actually hoping Ferrell and Merritt simplify the roles. Rolle is just a horrible read and react player.

good read.....thanks Ro.
    It woudl be great to see him at his natural position where he can just "play" instead of think so to speak.
    The better part of that scenario is that if he can just play saftey then the Giants have three healthy and capable CBs available all the time. Havent had that in a while...
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

He is a tough player, very good player who puts team ahead of self. I'm not sure he's quite worth what we are paying in today's NFL but there is a reason why we paid him so handsomely at the start of his contract.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    He is a tough player, very good player who puts team ahead of self. I'm not sure he's quite worth what we are paying in today's NFL but there is a reason why we paid him so handsomely at the start of his contract.
    And then we changed the job description.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    And then we changed the job description.
    Yes, all of that..........
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    Yes, all of that..........
    The guy is a workhorse. I think I'm correct in saying he never takes a play off unless he's called out.

We overpaid, no matter what he does. We paid him like the best safety in the league. He is not that guy. I do hope his play improves if he plays more free safety.

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    We overpaid, no matter what he does. We paid him like the best safety in the league. He is not that guy. I do hope his play improves if he plays more free safety.
    As fans we have zero control over how much these guys get paid. In light of that fact the salaries dont bother me one bit. Thats the orgs problem not mine.
    I just want to see great "effort" from every player no matter what the salary
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    You can't blame a player for what the team offers. More and more I think the combination of players in each unit is far more important than individual "stars."