+ Reply to Thread

Blog Bits: LB Keith Rivers

http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/6333

Excerpt: "Given a second chance with the Giants, Rivers is hoping some adjustments he made to his offseason training regimen helps keep him on the field this year.

Q: Obviously, your career has not gone the way you probably would have liked it to go, thanks to the injuries. When itís one after another, after another, what have you done to make sure you just donít throw up your hands and say, ĎThatís it, I quit.í?
    A: Itís tough. At times you do go through that but you have to remember that guys are counting on you and depending on you so you canít go ĎWoe, is me.í There are a lot of guys around you who try to pick you up and who make you feel needed around here. So you have to realize that itís bigger than you and just keep on going. I mean if you look at it, there are bigger issues in life to worry about so if you keep that in perspective and realize that youíre going to get better, youíll develop that mental toughness to overcome most anything.

Q: I believe you once said you were planning to cut down on the amount of time you spend working out because you theorized that perhaps that was leading to your injury issue. Have you done that and has it helped?
    A: Yeah, I think last season due to the previous season when I was hurt, I got a little over zealous and just worked out 2-3 times a day. I felt good , and I felt like I earned the right to win, but I also think I worked harder and not smarter. So this offseason, I worked a little smarter in preparing for the season.

Q: What exactly did you change in your training?
    A: I didnít do two or three workout a day. I mean on one day I might go workout on the beach in the morning, then hit the weight room in the afternoon and yoga at night. Thatís a lot of work on my body. So this time I didnít do more than two workouts a day, and if I did two, Iíd do weights and yoga as opposed to doing two heavy cardio or conditioning programs. So thatís how I cut back.

Q: Did you adjust your diet as well since you didnít need as much in the way of calories to keep yourself going?
    A: I kind of had the same diet as I did last year because last year I had the food delivery service, so I didnít change that. I just cut back on the physical workload because it was a lot on the muscles.

Q: There are three positions up for grabs this summer at linebacker. With such a wide-open , anything-can-happen scenario in front of you, how have you gone about focusing on whatís ahead?
    A: Iíve kind of been taking it day by day. Iíve sort of taken like an approach I take in college Ė take it one day at a time, go to sleep, get up and then work your butt off the next day. So Iíve been doing that and focusing on my assignments instead of trying to spread myself too thin. Iíve amped up the studying part of my assignments so that I can have a better u=understanding of what Iím called to do as well as what everyone else around me is called to do.

Q: Communication is key in football, no matter what the position. When you have a situation though like what you have at linebacker now where you have no idea where youíre going to line up or whoís going to be next to you, how much does that put you behind the eight ball as far as the nonverbal communication aspect of things?
    A: Weíre all in the same room and (linebackers coach Jim Herrmann) Herm does a great job of clarifying everything so that everyone, as far as assignments go, has a great understanding. So it doesnít matter whoís out there Ė you have faith that theyíre going to communicate with you and be where theyíre supposed to be." Read more...
    ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

# 80

it may be naive, but I am expecting big things from Rivers and Curry. I think together, they both realize their careers haven't gone near as planned. Maybe they can help fuel each other to keep reaching higher n higher levels of play.
    but I really do believe these 2 guys are not only gonna rejuvenate their careers, but our Defense as well.

Let's hope that turns out to be the case.
    ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

# 80

they need 4 or 5 of these guys to step the **** up, stay healthy, and play good football...........please.....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    they need 4 or 5 of these guys to step the **** up, stay healthy, and play good football...........please.....
    So they need everyone to step up? It would be nice if they had at least one guy they could rely on going into camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    So they need everyone to step up? It would be nice if they had at least one guy they could rely on going into camp.
    meaning the grou as a whole has been lacking as we all know. Yes.....they need 4 or 5 good reliable players at he LB position....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch