+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 LastLast

Thread: Giants confident Cruz will sign long term deal before camp.

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    I took "core" strength to mean natural strength in general not the strength of the abdomen/back section or "core" of the body. If that is what they mean then to some degree bench press is a test of core strength but not a great measure of it.

What I see in Pugh at the NFL level is a finesse tackle that plays with great technique but is not overpowering. I think he will do real good with edge rushers. He's not a Lincoln Kennedy, Larry Brown type of tackle. I don't see him generating a lot of push in the running game.

This is what my gut tells me from watching the tape.
    I agree with what you saying there in every way.

I was perhaps being a lil nitpicky but still had to ask why people were questioning his core strength specifically. It isn't a concern I see on tape.

For example I see a guy like Brewer who, from what limited time we have seen him play, has bad balance and lean I would question his core strength. That may not be the problem, it could just be a coordination issue, or coaching, or any number of other issues. But having technique like Pugh's demands a strong core.

I think the distinction you make there is a very fair 1 to make. His "natural strength" needs work. The term "core strength" is becoming a popular catch phrase for strength in general, but that is why I responded because they really are not the same thing at all.
    Last edited by BlueSanta; 07-05-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    I agree with what you saying there in every way.

I was perhaps being a lil nitpicky but still had to ask why people were questioning his core strength specifically. It isn't a concern I see on tape.

For example I see a guy like Brewer who, from what limited time we have seen him play, has bad balance and lean I would question his core strength. That may not be the problem, it could just be a coordination issue, or coaching, or any number of other issues. But having technique like Pugh's demands a strong core.

I think the distinction you make there is a very fair 1 to make. His "natural strength" needs work. The term "core strength" is becoming a popular catch phrase for strength in general, but that is why I responded because they really are not the same thing at all.
    I'm starting to think Brewer's problem is that he sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    Don't get me wrong, as I said above I do see a strength issue. I am more wondering why people are questioning his core strength? I see people saying this and I cant help but think they are using the term incorrectly without knowing what it means.

I can tell you this, Pugh needs to add some bulk to his body and that will happen. But, his technique is very, very good and you simply cannot have that kind of technique with excellent core strength. It is a finite distinction I know, but I was responding to someone who specifically doubted his core strength, which I do not agree with. Bench press has very little to do with core strength.
    i think if u asked some of the posters who post here a lot, they'd let u know im as big a supporter/homer of pugh as there is just fwiw...ur preachin to the choir.
    Last edited by giantsfan420; 07-05-2013 at 12:36 AM.

i think pugh is gonna surprise some people with his run blocking ability. he moves tremendously well in space, which will help him here bc we are always pulling n trapping with our Gs and even Ts. Pugh is also excellent at getting to the 2nd level. Also good at downblocking. these things are important to run blocking along with footwork. strength is paramount as well, but he excels at those other aspects.

im hoping he becomes a gym rat and just gets huge and combines strength with his sound technical game.

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    Cruz thread morphs into and Oline / Pugh thread,,,
    Hey at least it hasn't morphed into a thread about a player who shall remain anonymous(hint:do you really need a hint?)

Kick back and enjoy it. I sure am

Quote Originally Posted by Imgrate View Post
    Travis frederick, the cowboys first round pick, was listed as a 2nd round talent. Where you are drafted does not alter your level of talent. The cowboys have on staff professional scouts, something that none of us here can claim to be. The point is that an nfl team does not always draft a guy that they have pegged as a first round talent in the first round. If you want to reject the idea that we would never do anything similar to the cowboys in that sense, then by all means.
    what you say makes total sense I agree. With that said it doesnt make it a mistake to do just that. The Gianst liked Pugh and got him......case closed
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    I'm starting to think Brewer's problem is that he sucks.
    not a good problem to have....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

"Sources".........

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    This is why I can't sleep at night. My hubby is so disrespected. Makes me weep gently on my guitar.
    hahahahahha!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Die-Hard View Post
    Hey at least it hasn't morphed into a thread about a player who shall remain anonymous(hint:do you really need a hint?)

Kick back and enjoy it. I sure am
    You mean the guy who may be an ELITE top 5 QB in the NFL!!?!!??!

+ Reply to Thread