+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 58 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 571
  1. #501
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Not us. It was reported early on that JR loved Lane Johnson. Unfortunately in the end, everyone else did as well.
    That was a Giants scout, not Reese. It was never identified which Giants personnel said it though.

  2. #502
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    44,808
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    That was a Giants scout, not Reese. It was never identified which Giants personnel said it though.
    That's a good point. I remember the statement..."that's our left tackle" from someone in the Giants organization.
    The reality is that Johnson is a great fit for us at LT. His speed and athleticism are perfect for Cole, Ware and Orakpo.
    Get well soon 80.

  3. #503
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    6,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Byron...Do we have to say "in my opinion" with every statement?
    It's assumed that statements we make are matters of opinion.
    I guess you don't... you could start out with this what I think went down "but hey" I keep it in mind in the future ......carry on

  4. #504
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    102,295
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    It IS possible and I'll admit that JR actually believes that Pugh was the BPA when the Giants handed in the card but I believe it's more likely that 1) OL was a more pressing need, 2) There was less of a chance to find a potential long term starter for the OL on the current roster as opposed to 3 tech or CB, and 3)They were possibly sold on another OL prospect that was already taken and felt they needed to swoop in on Pugh to not risk leaving the draft with no impact OL.

    Now from the tape I've watched, I still don't see how Pugh is a better player than a Sharrif Floyd or a Xavier Rhodes BUT it is entirely possible that his value was increased tremendously on our board because of his exceptional leadership and football IQ. There is also a case to be made that we have future starters already on the roster maybe in Marvin Austin or Jayron Hosley. Outside of Diehl, no one else on the roster really had significant experience at RT. It was also a weak top half draft so it's possible the Giants just wanted to grab a safer but less upside player in the 1st round to not get burned on. Pugh for all purposes and intents doesn't seem to have much of a bust factor.
    Wouldn't his being able to play both guard and tackle positions have also factored in? Since being drafted, they also think he can learn to play center.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1






    # 80

  5. #505
    All-Pro jomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    20,367
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    lol. i know that DW didnt light the world on fire from day 1, but if anyone tries to tell u that based on the skill set he displayed his rookie season that he STILL wasnt a 1rst rd talent, than that should tell u all u need to know about said person said opinion is coming from.
    I have loved the pick from day 1 and expect a huge season this year.
    No one remembers who came in second.

  6. #506
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Wouldn't his being able to play both guard and tackle positions have also factored in? Since being drafted, they also think he can learn to play center.
    It helps but it's not a super rare trait these days for an offensive lineman to be able to play at least 2 positions coming out. A good amount of tackles can play either side, interior guys can always be taught how to snap the ball, etc. It was mentioned how Pugh is like having an extra coach on the field so that's why I feel the intelligence/leadership factored more into his possible 1st round jump. That is the sort of stuff that doesn't jump out on tape and can only come from interviewing the player/coaches he was with.

  7. #507
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    102,295
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    It helps but it's not a super rare trait these days for an offensive lineman to be able to play at least 2 positions coming out. A good amount of tackles can play either side, interior guys can always be taught how to snap the ball, etc. It was mentioned how Pugh is like having an extra coach on the field so that's why I feel the intelligence/leadership factored more into his possible 1st round jump. That is the sort of stuff that doesn't jump out on tape and can only come from interviewing the player/coaches he was with.
    Would his intelligence also be a reason they think he could learn to play center?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1






    # 80

  8. #508
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Would his intelligence also be a reason they think he could learn to play center?
    It certainly helps and in our scheme especially with all the presnap reading and what not.

  9. #509
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    102,295
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    It certainly helps and in our scheme especially with all the presnap reading and what not.
    I remember someone saying the center makes the reads for the entire line. I often wonder how he does that given his stance but then what do I know lol

    A center has to have some smarts to do that.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1






    # 80

  10. #510
    All-Pro Morehead State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Westfield, MA
    Posts
    44,808
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I remember someone saying the center makes the reads for the entire line. I often wonder how he does that given his stance but then what do I know lol

    A center has to have some smarts to do that.
    But how could he reach the ball with T Rex arms?
    Get well soon 80.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts