+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    But how could he reach the ball with T Rex arms?
    No problem, Eli's arms are long enough to reach beyond the balls to the center's belt buckle
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 07-03-2013 at 11:53 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    That was a Giants scout, not Reese. It was never identified which Giants personnel said it though.
    true good point. i remember early in the draft process one of our scouts even was going on and on, (it may have even been our OL coach) about one of the prospects and how he was one of the best prospects he can remember seeing...we dunno if he was talkin about pugh, but with the certainty JR and CO have come across as having with Pugh makes me believe it was him.

Quote Originally Posted by Imgrate View Post
    I seem to recall us signing Locklear last year too, whats your point? FB/C/G are the only positions less valuable on the offensive side of the ball
    yeah everything is great until the a online position fails then its a big deal and the player sucks....
    All online posiitons matter hugely. I get that LTs get big bucks but as far as team value....RTs are are there with the rest of the oline
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

and there was a run on OL in this year's draft like never before, so if we picked up Pugh a bit higher than might otherwise have been warranted, so be it. I think the Bears would have snatched him up right after us, as they selected the Long kid, who is a very raw player, just has tremendous legacy on his side.

Quote Originally Posted by Imgrate View Post
    Or, it's an anomaly because of how weak the top end of the draft is. Before last year when was the last time a guy was drafted to play g or rt in the top 10, it doesn't happen often. And yes, tight ends affect the game much more than rt
    agreed 100%
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    It IS possible and I'll admit that JR actually believes that Pugh was the BPA when the Giants handed in the card but I believe it's more likely that 1) OL was a more pressing need, 2) There was less of a chance to find a potential long term starter for the OL on the current roster as opposed to 3 tech or CB, and 3)They were possibly sold on another OL prospect that was already taken and felt they needed to swoop in on Pugh to not risk leaving the draft with no impact OL.Now from the tape I've watched, I still don't see how Pugh is a better player than a Sharrif Floyd or a Xavier Rhodes BUT it is entirely possible that his value was increased tremendously on our board because of his exceptional leadership and football IQ. There is also a case to be made that we have future starters already on the roster maybe in Marvin Austin or Jayron Hosley. Outside of Diehl, no one else on the roster really had significant experience at RT. It was also a weak top half draft so it's possible the Giants just wanted to grab a safer but less upside player in the 1st round to not get burned on. Pugh for all purposes and intents doesn't seem to have much of a bust factor.
    A lot of other teams passed on Floyd and Rhodes and they're the guys that do this for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by speedman View Post
    A lot of other teams passed on Floyd and Rhodes and they're the guys that do this for a living.
    Half of the 1st round in drafts tend to bust out of the league in a few years. It's perfectly reasonable to question any draft picks you want since there isn't generally a high success rate in this profession. Reese has been an exception in the 1st round though so that's a plus.

Something I always wished the NFL would force the organizations to do (for the fans of course), is have each team list their draft prospect board the morning of the draft. The NFL would collect all lists, keeping them secret of course, and let the draft play out. Then, after the draft is complete, the lists get released to the public so we can truely see how they rank their players. I think if the NFL wants to appease the fans more, this would be a great thing to do. Im sure there are some issues with it, but I for one would LOVE it. Then we can see if the Giants did reach for Pugh, or if the really had Martin ahead of Wilson. I think this would get even more fans into the whole draft process.

Of course I doubt this would ever happen due to the risk of "leaks".
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth."

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    But how could he reach the ball with T Rex arms?
    It'll put a lot of stress on his back. Probably is gonna pose problems down the line........

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Wouldn't his being able to play both guard and tackle positions have also factored in? Since being drafted, they also think he can learn to play center.
    I thought flexibility helped too, but I heard a scout- not sure but I think it was Kiper - say flexibility in where you can line up on the Oline isn't as great a selling point in the fist round as it is in later rounds. 1st round picks should most importantly perform above average wherever they line up. So if Pugh ended up being average at 3 different positions, he would be considered a bust based on where we picked him.

IMO, if he's average it's a push, because we need Oline help badly.