+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants confident Cruz will sign long term deal before camp.

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    It's the lack of core strength that worries me more than anything. Even if he struggles at tackle because of the short arms strength will be an issue at guard.
    How do you know anything about his core strength?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    well it is kinda accepted he had some strength issues coming out. but every prospect usually has that and i believe even the top 3 OTs taken had the same issue. Its nothing an nfl lift program won't fix. i read pugh made it his top priority, and i've read his teammates say he's been in the gym as much as possible.

Watch his tape and every scouting report on the web lists it as an area of concern. Same way I know Fluker has no core strength concerns. I watched his tape and checked out several scouting reports.

Cruz thread morphs into and Oline / Pugh thread,,,
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    well it is kinda accepted he had some strength issues coming out. but every prospect usually has that and i believe even the top 3 OTs taken had the same issue. Its nothing an nfl lift program won't fix. i read pugh made it his top priority, and i've read his teammates say he's been in the gym as much as possible.
    He did not do a lot of reps in the bench press. That is where is "strength concerns" come from.

That has absolutely nothing to do with core strength.

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    Cruz thread morphs into and Oline / Pugh thread,,,
    This is why I can't sleep at night. My hubby is so disrespected. Makes me weep gently on my guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    Watch his tape and every scouting report on the web lists it as an area of concern. Same way I know Fluker has no core strength concerns. I watched his tape and checked out several scouting reports.
    I have seen his tape, and I have seen him play in person too. I see a guy with strength concerns, but it isn't a core strength concern.

In fact, his body lean, positioning and balance are fantastic. That would imply excellent core strength. Where he lacks strength is in his extremeties, not his core. I would venture to say his core strength may be as good as anyone on the team.

I think it humorous that because a guy doesn't rock out 35 reps on the bench press that he somehow has "core strength" issues.
    Last edited by BlueSanta; 07-04-2013 at 11:06 PM.

I have seen his tape, and I have seen him play in person too. I see a guy with strength concerns, but it isn't a core strength concern.

In fact, his body lean, positioning and balance are fantastic. That would imply excellent core strength. Where he lacks strength is in his extremeties, not his core. I would venture to say his core strength may be as good as anyone on the team.

I think it humorous that because a guy doesn't rock out 35 reps on the bench press that he somehow has "core strength" issues.
    pugh isnt/wasnt the only OL singled out for that or something tho. Almost every OL prospect coming into the league will have a strength issue bc the increase in talent/strength at the NFL level. pretty much 99% of OL coming into the league will need to go through an NFL weight program to ensure they can handle the bigger, faster, quicker players

but i agree with ur analysis of Pugh and his strength issue compared to what is said around here. iirc, he also put up like 26 at his pro day or something, not all world but not terrible either

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    pugh isnt/wasnt the only OL singled out for that or something tho. Almost every OL prospect coming into the league will have a strength issue bc the increase in talent/strength at the NFL level. pretty much 99% of OL coming into the league will need to go through an NFL weight program to ensure they can handle the bigger, faster, quicker players

but i agree with ur analysis of Pugh and his strength issue compared to what is said around here. iirc, he also put up like 26 at his pro day or something, not all world but not terrible either
    Don't get me wrong, as I said above I do see a strength issue. I am more wondering why people are questioning his core strength? I see people saying this and I cant help but think they are using the term incorrectly without knowing what it means.

I can tell you this, Pugh needs to add some bulk to his body and that will happen. But, his technique is very, very good and you simply cannot have that kind of technique with excellent core strength. It is a finite distinction I know, but I was responding to someone who specifically doubted his core strength, which I do not agree with. Bench press has very little to do with core strength.

I took "core" strength to mean natural strength in general not the strength of the abdomen/back section or "core" of the body. If that is what they mean then to some degree bench press is a test of core strength but not a great measure of it.

What I see in Pugh at the NFL level is a finesse tackle that plays with great technique but is not overpowering. I think he will do real good with edge rushers. He's not a Lincoln Kennedy, Larry Brown type of tackle. I don't see him generating a lot of push in the running game.

This is what my gut tells me from watching the tape.

+ Reply to Thread