+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Harsh Supply-Demand Realities Biting Veteran Running Backs

Harsh Supply-Demand Realities Biting Veteran Running Backs

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pa...-running-backs

Excerpt: "July 2013 is here and we are officially in the month NFL camps open up, and as usual there are a number of running backs still looking for work. All I can say to the veteran ball carriers on the street is good luck! The best thing unemployed runners can hope for at this point is a rash of injuries in camp, which probably means they aren't getting a phone call until early August -- if at all.

When the final rosters are assembled, there are basically 96 NFL running back jobs (three per team) in the NFL. Include a few guys on injured reserve and PUP, and that brings the number to around 100. There are 180 running backs under contract as camps start, which means about half of the camp candidates will not make the team. Twenty-three of the 180 backs were drafted this spring and another 25 are undrafted rookies. Keep in mind, everyone is looking for the next Arian Foster, who was undrafted in 2009, and there's bound to be one in the 25 undrafted guys.

July 2013 is here and we are officially in the month NFL camps open up, and as usual there are a number of running backs still looking for work. All I can say to the veteran ball carriers on the street is good luck! The best thing unemployed runners can hope for at this point is a rash of injuries in camp, which probably means they aren't getting a phone call until early August -- if at all.

When the final rosters are assembled, there are basically 96 NFL running back jobs (three per team) in the NFL. Include a few guys on injured reserve and PUP, and that brings the number to around 100. There are 180 running backs under contract as camps start, which means about half of the camp candidates will not make the team. Twenty-three of the 180 backs were drafted this spring and another 25 are undrafted rookies. Keep in mind, everyone is looking for the next Arian Foster, who was undrafted in 2009, and there's bound to be one in the 25 undrafted guys." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

It's also that some teams can easily just put young RBs that are on rookie-capped contracts into the 3rd string roles or even 2nd string roles and develop the small investment as supposed to spending vet minimum for a RB with alot of tread on his tires and with an injury history in that position.
    Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 07-06-2013 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
    It's also that some teams can easily just put young RBs that on rookie-capped contracts into the 3rd string roles or even 2nd string roles and develop the small investment as supposed to spending vet minimum for a RB with alot of tread on his tires with an injury history in that position.
    Very true
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

If only someone could have shown Jacobs this reality back in 2011... he would have taken JR's offer, and would have been the starter after Bradshaw and Brown got hurt, and we might have won the 2nd redskins game and made the postseason...

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    If only someone could have shown Jacobs this reality back in 2011... he would have taken JR's offer, and would have been the starter after Bradshaw and Brown got hurt, and we might have won the 2nd redskins game and made the postseason...
    Wish that had been the case. Big B Jacobs fan.

But then we may have never drafted Wilson. It happened. Nothing we can do about it now. But now that I bring that up, are you glad he didn't re-sign? 😜
    Quote Originally Posted by mercurio View Post
    JR is the GIANTS GM as TC is the coach and Eli is the QB. Support them.
    Couldn't have said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Montemayor View Post
    But then we may have never drafted Wilson. It happened. Nothing we can do about it now. But now that I bring that up, are you glad he didn't re-sign? ��
    We could have gotten Cordy Glenn or Coby Fleener instead. I'm happy we did pick up Wilson, but it's not like there was nothing at #32 BUT him.

Or, who knows, maybe we draft Wilson anyway? Maybe Tampa doesn't trade up to snipe Martin thinking we aren't in the hunt for a RB and we pick him as BPA instead? That's all speculation. My point is that we could have made the playoffs if TC had a RB he could actually trust (which he absolutely didnt trust Wilson last year)... when you're giving more carries to a guy off the street than your first round pick, you have some issues...

I DO think we're better off in the long run though, since that would have been Jacobs' last year most likely, and we would be in the hunt for a mediocre RB this year...

The one thing I know for sure is that Jim Harbaugh deliberately shut down Jacobs so that he had no chance of returning to the Giants (who were in the need for SOMETHING at RB) and getting incredibly angry. If he had let Jacobs go, the Giants might have made the playoffs and if we ended up playing SF, Jacobs would be one angry angry man... maybe even stopping the tip toe crap and throwing his body at the niners with reckless abandon...
    Last edited by Toadofsteel; 07-07-2013 at 04:32 PM.

The one thing I know for sure is that Jim Harbaugh deliberately shut down Jacobs so that he had no chance of returning to the Giants (who were in the need for SOMETHING at RB) and getting incredibly angry. If he had let Jacobs go, the Giants might have made the playoffs and if we ended up playing SF, Jacobs would be one angry angry man... maybe even stopping the tip toe crap and throwing his body at the niners with reckless abandon...
    Jacobs isn't very good anymore, though. I think his departure was a positive for the Giants.

Jacobs was going to prevent the Skins from holding the ball for nearly all of the 4Q?

+ Reply to Thread