+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What player will define Jerry Reese's tenure?

Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    This is a strange question. When has a GM's tenure ever been defined by a single player? I am sure clowns try to do it, but what respectable fan, former player, analyst, writer, etc. has ever proposed that a GM's legacy sinks or swims on the back of one player? Given all the important tasks of a GM it seems like a silly question to ask. But hey, it's the offseason, so I get it!
    I agree with this.

But here's my take on Ernie as a GM. It's very clear by his comments over the years that he was haunted by the Elway fiasco. It occurred his 2nd year as a GM, and clearly he never got over it (and who would, really?). 21 years later, he sees an opportunity to make up for it--a rare "do over" in real life that few, if any, people ever have. He grabs that 2nd chance--even almost blows it at the last minute because he was forced to trust the questionable character of Chargers' Smith--and it results in a major success for him and for the Giants.

I agree it's a bit silly to judge an NFL GM (or any individual really) by any single move or player, but my guess is that Ernie himself was suffering silently for a single failure early in his career, and was prepared to be judged by that. And now I'm sure he's pleased as hell if he's judged only by a single success story near the end of his career.

BTW, "I don't roll on the Shabbatz!"

Jpp hands down

I think GM's remembered by a single player are the exception, not the rule.

Having said that, the 2007 class was pretty sweet.
    This space for rent

Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post
    I agree with this.

But here's my take on Ernie as a GM. It's very clear by his comments over the years that he was haunted by the Elway fiasco. It occurred his 2nd year as a GM, and clearly he never got over it (and who would, really?). 21 years later, he sees an opportunity to make up for it--a rare "do over" in real life that few, if any, people ever have. He grabs that 2nd chance--even almost blows it at the last minute because he was forced to trust the questionable character of Chargers' Smith--and it results in a major success for him and for the Giants.

I agree it's a bit silly to judge an NFL GM (or any individual really) by any single move or player, but my guess is that Ernie himself was suffering silently for a single failure early in his career, and was prepared to be judged by that. And now I'm sure he's pleased as hell if he's judged only by a single success story near the end of his career.

BTW, "I don't roll on the Shabbatz!"
    I hear where your coming from. However, the whole "Ernie was righting a wrong from 20 years previous" is a nice tag line to sell magazines and cable shows, but it's not necessarily reality. Acorsi was a GM, an insider, a business man, he took it in stride. Sure he wanted to do a better job, but I doubt it kept him up nights like Scott Nrowood going wide-right. I don't know, I don't know the guy. It just seems like the drama of the two deals, while certainly intense and interesting, have become his defining moments only because they are the most interesting.

"Shomer *****ing Shabbos"
    I bELIeve in February 1, 2015.

I remember a few people making that comment back then....maybe that statement was a bit exagerated. Nonetheless, there were some discrediting JR during that time. But until I have proff, I guess Im wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    I hear where your coming from. However, the whole "Ernie was righting a wrong from 20 years previous" is a nice tag line to sell magazines and cable shows, but it's not necessarily reality. Acorsi was a GM, an insider, a business man, he took it in stride. Sure he wanted to do a better job, but I doubt it kept him up nights like Scott Nrowood going wide-right. I don't know, I don't know the guy. It just seems like the drama of the two deals, while certainly intense and interesting, have become his defining moments only because they are the most interesting.

"Shomer *****ing Shabbos"
    i see where gmen is coming from tho. when u hear EA speak about Eli and Elway, he speaks about how he HAD to make the move for Eli. I think he actually even said what u think he doesnt do, not sure but in the clip that was poster recently about EA/Eli, I think he spoke to how he couldnt sleep at night knowing he didn't get eli if it were at all possible.

the biggest myth imo is that EA was fine with either eli or ben. like an either or. from how i interpret ea, he would have been fine with ben bc he felt ben was a franchise qb too. but, he absolutely had eli ranked higher, to the point they werent even close.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantDadx3 View Post
    I remember a few people making that comment back then....maybe that statement was a bit exagerated. Nonetheless, there were some discrediting JR during that time. But until I have proff, I guess Im wrong.
    There were people saying the 07 team was an Accorsi team, which is probably mostly true. But the 07 draft class was all Reese

I think Reese is known now and most likely forever for the 2007 draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    I think Reese is known now and most likely forever for the 2007 draft.
    Why, because they all contributed nicely in the SB season. Still there were no stars in that draft. Bradshaw was the biggest gem at the 7th round. SS12 was good, but we all know what happened there. But half of them are out of football, and the 1st round, 20th overall pick, most would say is a bust. I happen to like Aaron Ross, and he played nicely for us in 2 SB years, but if you look around these boards there is very little love for him.

In 2009 he got Nicks in the 1st, and then in the third he got what appears to be a real good franchise LT, when most teams use a 1st round pick to find there LT.

I guess I'd rather be known for a GM with mutiple rings than for any one great player......
    If you have one or more rings as a GM you have done your job very well.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

+ Reply to Thread