+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What player will define Jerry Reese's tenure?

Quote Originally Posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
    Why, because they all contributed nicely in the SB season. Still there were no stars in that draft. Bradshaw was the biggest gem at the 7th round. SS12 was good, but we all know what happened there. But half of them are out of football, and the 1st round, 20th overall pick, most would say is a bust. I happen to like Aaron Ross, and he played nicely for us in 2 SB years, but if you look around these boards there is very little love for him.

In 2009 he got Nicks in the 1st, and then in the third he got what appears to be a real good franchise LT, when most teams use a 1st round pick to find there LT.
    The 2007 draft, with the benefit of perspective, was not a terrific draft for the reasons you point out.

I agree with you that the 2009 draft, which appears to have netted a franchise WR and a franchise LT, was better.

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    The 2007 draft, with the benefit of perspective, was not a terrific draft for the reasons you point out.

I agree with you that the 2009 draft, which appears to have netted a franchise WR and a franchise LT, was better.
    I would even venture to say we got the best LT and WR in the 2009 draft. Whether or not they are franchise defining players still remains to be seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    This. Pugh is not happening. Not. Happening.

I think it will be guys like jpp, wilson, and (hopefully) pugh.. picks that on draft day make us go

But in the end make us go

Last edited by Toadofsteel; 07-10-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

Why, because they all contributed nicely in the SB season. Still there were no stars in that draft. Bradshaw was the biggest gem at the 7th round. SS12 was good, but we all know what happened there. But half of them are out of football, and the 1st round, 20th overall pick, most would say is a bust. I happen to like Aaron Ross, and he played nicely for us in 2 SB years, but if you look around these boards there is very little love for him.

In 2009 he got Nicks in the 1st, and then in the third he got what appears to be a real good franchise LT, when most teams use a 1st round pick to find there LT.
    Because it was his rookie draft, they won the SB in the biggest upset in SB history, and virtually all of his draft picks contributed to that.

It's the first thing mentioned any time his name comes up in terms of his drafting prowess.

But I agree, it probably won't end up being his best accomplishment as a GM. In the end, GMs end up getting known for some strange stuff. Tex Shramm is less known for being the first Cowboys GM, or hiring Tom Landry or producing the team with the longest winning stretch in the NFL (20 straight winning seasons with the Cowboys) then he is for coining the phrase "America's Team".
    Last edited by Kruunch; 07-10-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Because it was his rookie draft, they won the SB in the biggest upset in SB history, and virtually all of his draft picks contributed to that.

It's the first thing mentioned any time his name comes up in terms of his drafting prowess.

But I agree, it probably won't end up being his best accomplishment as a GM.
    I think it's JR's greatest accomplishment because the goal is to draft players that will help you win a SB. However, no one really expects players to play significant minutes the first year that will lead to a SB victory.

If I told you needed to play 7 rookies even during your playoff run during crucial game moments- not just trash time- most people would say there is no way we make the SB and win it all. He got 7 immediate impact rookies. It's unreal!

I agree, with the exception of SS and AB, they were pretty much role players, but I think finding above average role players is what great GMs do. I think it's one their most difficult tasks.

Single moves that JR made that I liked were getting JPP when we had Kiwi, J Tuck, and Osi already. People list Prince, but at 19 the value was a gimme, no real genius or bravery exhibited in that move. I like the Hankins pick too, especially because it's over top rated LBs. AB in the seventh may be the best value play ever.

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    I agree, with the exception of SS and AB, they were pretty much role players, but I think finding above average role players is what great GMs do. I think it's one their most difficult tasks.
    That's a key distinction that's rarely made. Great GMs are deft at picking up the multiple role players over one or two particular stars. The Patriots have made a dynasty drafting from that perspective. The GMs that swing for the fences with every pick (high risk, high reward types) tend to have teams that flame out quickly (the Bengals up until they rebuilt the team with Andy Dalton, the Lions under Matt Millen, the Raiders, etc ...).

Unfortunately they don't get the recognition they deserve most times. Scott Pioli will probably be known for just being another dead branch in the Belichick tree, rather than being known for having the most players make the Pro Bowl from a team that didn't make the playoffs (2012 Chiefs).

All of the LB's he refused to draft?

I think that's pretty unfair to say about the 2007 class

Ross contributed to two superbowls and while he may not of been Revis, he certainly was a very productive pick and I for one am glad hes back in blue.

Smith was a GREAT pick for us, but then he got injured. It isn't like he fizzled out.

Alford same thing, had a career ending injury but progressively got better each year. They had big hopes for him the year he went down.

Deossie is a two time pro bowler special teamer

Boss got his career ended due to injury

Michael Johnson ended up being garbage, but played good his rookie year to help us win a superbowl and was a 7th round pick

And ahmad Bradshaw wasn't just a gem, but in my eyes one of the greatest players to ever put on a Giants jersey. Between toughness and production, AB will always be in my fanatic heart
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

Quote Originally Posted by Giantslb66 View Post
    All of the LB's he refused to draft?
    like who
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

Quote Originally Posted by MattMeyerBud View Post
    I think that's pretty unfair to say about the 2007 class

Ross contributed to two superbowls and while he may not of been Revis, he certainly was a very productive pick and I for one am glad hes back in blue.

Smith was a GREAT pick for us, but then he got injured. It isn't like he fizzled out.

Alford same thing, had a career ending injury but progressively got better each year. They had big hopes for him the year he went down.

Deossie is a two time pro bowler special teamer

Boss got his career ended due to injury

Michael Johnson ended up being garbage, but played good his rookie year to help us win a superbowl and was a 7th round pick

And ahmad Bradshaw wasn't just a gem, but in my eyes one of the greatest players to ever put on a Giants jersey. Between toughness and production, AB will always be in my fanatic heart
    I don't think that he's saying that the 2007 draft was bad . . . just that it didn't turn out to be as good as it looked like it was going to be after that first year . . . .

+ Reply to Thread