+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nicks Plays, Randle Steals Show Anyway

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...ls-show-anyway

Excerpt: "Hakeem Nicks didn’t make a single play. But at least he was playing.

The oft-injured wideout was back on the practice field on Monday, one day after tightness in his groin forced him to sit out team drills. Nicks was limited, according to coach Tom Coughlin, but he took part in individual drills, then saw a handful of snaps in 11-on-11 team drills as well.

“Hakeem is being smart,” quarterback Eli Manning said of Nicks’ cautious approach in training camp. “He is coming off some injuries. He’s going to take it slow and do what he’s got to do to make sure when he’s out there, he is full speed. We have some time and it is early on.”

Nicks, who is in the final year of his contract, battled knee and foot injuries throughout 2012, and 2013 seems to be off to a rough start. Still, wideout Victor Cruz, who signed a long-term extension with the Giants just weeks ago, acknowledged that Nicks is “our No. 1 receiver” in an interview with the NFL Network, and if Nicks can get healthy, he’ll bring a strong vertical element to the offense.

Then again, second-year man Rueben Randle did his best to show that he could fill that vertical role. Nicks didn’t make a single catch – and wasn’t even targeted – Monday, so Randle, who replaced Nicks on the first team on several snaps, stole the show, catching a long TD after beating Corey Webster, and adding a TD in red zone drills as well. He also barely missed on a third TD catch in the corner of the end zone. Coughlin said that Randle has made “some outstanding plays.” Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

I really feel as though this is Nicks' last season in blue. Some team (maybe the Raiders) will offer 11-12 million for him, and we just won't match that when we have Randle waiting in the wings...

It's a shame, but that's the modern era of football for you, everyone has to be a mercenary to survive in the league now, even guys like Kenny Phillips and Steve Smith (which is tough for me to admit)...

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

Unfortunately I agree. I am a huge Nicks fan. He may be m favorite Giant. But if he doesn't get extended during the season, (which is highly unlikely), some team will probably offer him more than we are willing to pay, once he hits the open market.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    I really feel as though this is Nicks' last season in blue. Some team (maybe the Raiders) will offer 11-12 million for him, and we just won't match that when we have Randle waiting in the wings...

It's a shame, but that's the modern era of football for you, everyone has to be a mercenary to survive in the league now, even guys like Kenny Phillips and Steve Smith (which is tough for me to admit)...
    You could be right. There is a reason they wanted Cruz signed before UFA and Randle may well be that reason. It's way too early to tell, but if Randle does come on, Nicks does become less of a must have. We'll have to wait to see how the season unfolds but this is a good dilemma to have if you['re Jerry Reese.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post

Nicks tenure with the Giants really depends on his health this season. if he is available for at least 75% of regular season games and plays well in those games he will be offered a fair contract.

I don't know if he will qualify for 11-12 mil a year in any case. he'll need a "monstrous" season to even be considered for those numbers imo.

Regardless of what happens with Nicks after this season, I think him, Cruz, and Randle will light it up this year and I can't wait for it. We'll have plenty of time to discuss his contract in the next off season, for now I'm just too excited for 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by egyptian420 View Post
    Regardless of what happens with Nicks after this season, I think him, Cruz, and Randle will light it up this year and I can't wait for it. We'll have plenty of time to discuss his contract in the next off season, for now I'm just too excited for 2013.
    +1......this years matters more then any other at the moment.
    Of course you plan for the furture but the now is much more important for a team like the Giants
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1971 View Post
    I don't know if he will qualify for 11-12 mil a year in any case. he'll need a "monstrous" season to even be considered for those numbers imo.
    Nicks will be the top UFA WR next season. There'll be a market for him.

I think this could be Eli's best year from a statistical standpoint. Loaded at WR, supposedly very solid at TE and young RB's that compliment each other's skill set. We should put up some points!
    JR....do it, do it!

1- Eric Ebron- TE
    2- Gabe Jackson- OG
    3- Weston Richburg/Marcus Martin- C
    4- Antonio Richardson- OT
    5a- Anthony Johnson- DT
    5b- Marqueston Huff- FS
    6- Aaron Lynch- DE

Enjoy the year fellas. This is what Gilbride wants; 3 above average WRs that can beat one on one coverage. Our offense could be nasty. Oilers run-and shoot style!
    Last edited by B&RWarrior; 07-30-2013 at 12:22 PM.