+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This Offense and Defense

I think our defense against the run will surprise everyone. . I really like our additions, both rookies and FA pickup..

Quote Originally Posted by danme View Post
    I too am worried about our "D" the glaring hole at MLB is so big that teams again will be able to run and pass right at the heart of this Defense. 3rd and 5 will be an easy position for Opposing Offense's to convert -- JUST RUN THE DAMN BALL BETWEEN THE TACKLES -- 1st down due to the fact we don't have a MLB that will be able to stop it

Peace
    Dan

Wouldn't better tackle play alleviate that concern? I mean, if the RB is getting to the LB level, that speaks more of an issue with the DTs, not the LBs. Also, didn't we sign a few DTs in FA and draft one?

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    [quote user=danme]I too am worried about our "D" the glaring hole at MLB is so big that teams again will be able to run and pass right at the heart of this Defense. 3rd and 5 will be an easy position for Opposing Offense's to convert -- JUST RUN THE DAMN BALL BETWEEN THE TACKLES -- 1st down due to the fact we don't have a MLB that will be able to stop it

Wouldn't better tackle play alleviate that concern? I mean, if the RB is getting to the LB level, that speaks more of an issue with the DTs, not the LBs. Also, didn't we sign a few DTs in FA and draft one?
    [/QUOTE]

Not necessarily because the DT will be Doubled -- The MLB's Job is to shed the blocker on him and Stuff the hole -- So NO Don't blame the DT's It the MLB who has to do this

Not necessarily because the DT will be Doubled -- The MLB's Job is to shed the blocker on him and Stuff the hole -- So NO Don't blame the DT's It the MLB
    who has to do this[/QUOTE]

The first line of Defense against the run is the DT's if they do their jobs and hold there ground and shed blockers Rb's won't make it to the Lber's!!!! There is a reason they signed Cullen Jenkins,Mike Paterson,Sean Rodgers and Frank Okam in FA and Drafted Big Hank Rogers,Okam and Hankins are space eating Run stuffers exactly when we need. Jenkins is versatrile enough to be good against the run and if Austin does as well in pads as he is without like coach Nunn has said you can throw him in there as well. Our MLB won't be a concern. LBers look bad when DT's don't do there jobs and that's a fact!!!!!

Not necessarily because the DT will be Doubled -- The MLB's Job is to shed the blocker on him and Stuff the hole -- So NO Don't blame the DT's It the MLB who has to do this
    If the DT is doubled, doesn't that prevent a blocker from attacking the MLB?

Good luck with seeing a 250 MLB shed a 325lb Guard and stuff a hole!!!!! Once a lineman like a guard or center get there hands on a MLB I don't care how good the LBer might be he isn't getting to the hole befor the RB gains 4 yards at least!!! It is the DT's job to occupy the blockers so the MLB can run free and stuff the hole its football 101. The whole point of having DT's is so your LBers can freely plug holes and make plays. If a LBer has to shed an O lineman then he is shedding them to chase down the RB not plug the hole cause the RB is already thru the hole!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    If the DT is doubled, doesn't that prevent a blocker from attacking the MLB?
    No it doesn't most O-Line shift to the side of the run, there for the MLB will have Either the Center or the FB to deal with

peace
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DT2012 View Post
    Good luck with seeing a 250 MLB shed a 325lb Guard and stuff a hole!!!!! Once a lineman like a guard or center get there hands on a MLB I don't care how good the LBer might be he isn't getting to the hole befor the RB gains 4 yards at least!!! It is the DT's job to occupy the blockers so the MLB can run free and stuff the hole its football 101. The whole point of having DT's is so your LBers can freely plug holes and make plays. If a LBer has to shed an O lineman then he is shedding them to chase down the RB not plug the hole cause the RB is already thru the hole!!!!!
    Apparently you have never played organized football -- if an O-Lineman blocks a LB -- MLB In this case the MLB's Athletisism should allow him to be quick enough to shed the block and make the play. If he cant do that which has been the case since 2 years before Pierce lef,t then we will have the same ole problem -- Cant get off the field on 3rd down

Peace
    Dan

+ Reply to Thread