+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giants Plan To Stay Patient With First-Round Pick Justin Pugh

Giants Plan To Stay Patient With First-Round Pick Justin Pugh

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...stin_pugh.html

Excerpt: "Pat Flaherty, the Giants offensive line coach, doesn’t want Justin Pugh to think of any opponent as a specific person.

If his technique is right and his footwork is sound, it shouldn’t matter who he is facing; a list that will include the likes of Justin Tuck and Mathias Kiwanuka when full padded practices begin on Thursday.

"Coach Flaherty’s real big on having a faceless opponent and going out there and just executing what you need to do, on what your job is and making sure you get that done," Pugh said Monday.

But in many ways, Pugh knows his toughest opponent has already been laid out in front of him. He goes to meetings with him and sometimes works in the same huddle.

Since he was drafted, and the Giants looked to settle him in at right tackle, it became clear that a training camp battle was under way. Pugh is the first-round pick. David Diehl, the incumbent right tackle, is the tenured veteran.

And as far as Flaherty is concerned, it’s Diehl’s to lose. Pugh will get the same amount of reps but with the second string. There’s a chance he’ll learn the left tackle position later on, but not in the coming days.

"Right tackle is David Diehl with Justin Pugh working at right tackle," Flaherty said when asked to lay out the competition. "That’s where we’re starting out here in training camp and we’ll continue to progress that way. And it’ll work its way out, whatever which way it’s going to work. Both of them are getting the same amount of reps and we have a lot of confidence in David Diehl as well as Justin Pugh will get there as he continues to work." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

the only thing I dont like is Pugh getting reps only with the 2nd teamers. Although maybe thats just for a week or so. If they want to see what he has he should go with the ones.....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Nice Article And I agree wholeheartedly -- It is Diehls to lose -- Thanks for posting this Roanoke

Peace
    Dan

good read.

I wonder if these writers are getting their ideas from this message board.

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    the only thing I dont like is Pugh getting reps only with the 2nd teamers. Although maybe thats just for a week or so. If they want to see what he has he should go with the ones.....
    Dont think it really matters, hes still going up against quality pass rushers.

dont the 2s actually line up vs the 1s and vice versa on both sides of the ball? meaning the 1 offense faces the 2 defense and the 1 defense faces the 2 offense?

Veteran
    Rochester, NY Yes Bills contry what can I do its where I live
    Its not like we don't know TC does everything possible to NOT start a rookie. It wouldn't be so hard to take if I wasn't so unenthusiastic about Diehl. Its still early though. Maybe the kid will shock everyone and move up the chart. (Fingers crossed he's all that and more.)

Think Pugh will have to get a little stronger, think he possesses solid technique...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSaint View Post
    I wonder if these writers are getting their ideas from this message board.
    No!
    Giants fan since '58

+ Reply to Thread