Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Eagles WR Riley Cooper shows his true racist colors

Quote Originally Posted by FBomb View Post
    That depends.....are you comparing NOW to slavery or just oppression in general?
    I'm asking if you think that the oppression they face NOW is comparable to "centuries of savagery and continued oppression."

Born into poverty with no real means to get themselves out of it, profiling, gerrymandering. Young black men and children are murdered on the streets every day, but get no real justice because they're not white.
    No real means? It's certainly difficult for ALL people that are born in poverty, but there are means of getting out -- hence the many success stories. Profiling and gerrymandering exist in such, unfortunately, subjective practices such as the Law and Law Enforcement, and don't get me wrong, I don't want to defend the unethical practices of policemen/judges in the 1960s, but is it even remotely comparable today?

But, despite your views on how severe these are, do you think they are comparable to that of "centuries of savagery and continued oppression"?
    Last edited by gmen0820; 08-02-2013 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    I'm asking if you think that the oppression they face NOW is comparable to "centuries of savagery and continued oppression."

No real means? It's certainly difficult for ALL people that are born in poverty, but there are means of getting out -- hence the many success stories. Profiling and gerrymandering exist in such, unfortunately, subjective practices such as the Law and Law Enforcement, and don't get me wrong, I don't want to defend the unethical practices of policemen/judges in the 1960s, but is it even remotely comparable today?

But, despite your views on how severe these are, do you think they are comparable to that of "centuries of savagery and continued oppression"?
    Have we come a long way since then? Sure, I believe so. But I'm white. Ask a black man living in poverty who is profiled every day if he feels like things are better now. Opperssion is oppresion and it comes in many forms. Also, ask a black man living in poverty about the "means" HE has for "getting out" vs the "means" a white man does.

Lastly, and more to the point of this conversation.....ask any black person, living in poverty or not, if it's ok for a white person to use the N word.

I am aware that this is yet another conversation where you are trying to attack my opinion based on symantics, but you have gone FAR off the track in order to do it this time. The person I was responding to was comparing being Greek to being black and it's just not even close to being comparable.
    Last edited by FBomb; 08-02-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, **** waffles.......G Carlin

Have we come a long way since then? Sure, I believe so. But I'm white. Ask a black man living in poverty who is profiled every day if he feels like things are better now. Opperssion is oppresion and it comes in many forms. Also, ask a black man living in poverty about the "means" HE has for "getting out" vs the "means" a white man does.

Lastly, and more to the point of this conversation.....ask any black person, living in poverty or not, if it's ok for a white person to use the N word.

I am aware that this is yet another conversation where you are trying to attack my opinion based on symantics, but you have gone FAR off the track in order to do it this time. The person I was responding to was comparing being Greek to being black and it's just not even close to being comparable.
    They are able to receive welfare and foodstamps just like any other American. Oppression doesn't excuse responsibility. How many billions are thrown into black schools and communities? What if I told you blacks are viewed far more racist than whites. http://news.investors.com/ibd-editor...hue.htm?p=full

You have these race hustlers like Sharpton and Jackson preaching hate. They look for cases like Cooper and Zimmerman, and shout "SEE, I told you!", but wont say a word about all the kids being murdered in Chicago cause theres no money to be made, and most of the time the perpetrator is also black. Either way African Americans have much bigger problems than people who arent black saying the n word, wouldnt you say?

Well, I wouldn't expect to hear some rosy depiction of race relations from a black man living in poverty. In fact, I'd think that most people living in poverty would have some gripe with society.

I have, and I got the same response I expected: It shows ignorance to the word's implication, but if it's not with racist pretenses, that's all it is: ignorance. I personally don't think Cooper was making a statement in favor of White Supremacy by saying it, though if he was, I'd be all for crucifying him, lol. I just think he's incredibly stupid for saying it, given it's ignorance, and his career situation.

Far off track? Come on, man, keep up. I just don't like how you believe that some sort of "selective oppression" better equips a race to empathize with brutalities caused to their ancestors centuries before they were born. You even admit how far along we've come. I'm not suggesting forgive and forget, just respect an homage to only those that faced centuries of brutalities.

And my situation is comparable (in the manner I originally suggested, but more pertinently in an immigration-sense), enough so to draw a parallel. Let me explain: my mom came over when she was 23, and both of my father's parents were right off the boat. Life was tough for them, too. But it was tough for them, not me, so I don't partake in the talk of struggle, because it's foreign to me. There are black people that are struggling, mightily, but their struggle is similar to that which all races face. Conversely, there are black people that are as powerful, or successful as any man of any race.

Look, I can cherry pick examples like Jay Z, or Diddy, or most of the NFL, to combat yours, but it's not what I'm trying to accomplish here. I'm just saying that while oppression still takes form in modern society, it isn't exclusive to blacks, so I don't think that they can claim rights to share in the ancestral struggle, so to speak. That's the only part of your post that I disagreed with, and every post following was predicated off of that claim.

So, in order to end a conversation that will likely get me suspended, is emotionally charged, and even worse: could offend some people if they don't realize that I truly come from a place of sympathy, let me just say this:

I don't want to marginalize the struggles that black people have faced in this country, nor do I find that word acceptable, despite being so ubiquitous that it's been rendered almost as meaningless as the real "FBomb." The only thing I've suggested thus far is that centuries of brutality can not be better understood by people who have not personally experienced comparable brutality, regardless of the color of their skin. I, too, am white, and I know many black people that are my age. We both have similar lifestyles, and because of that, I don't think that the color of their skin can better equip them to empathize with admirable Civil Rights protesters than I could. And let me be clear, I have a TON of respect for those people. But I can't say the same for the people, because there are a few, that champion the courage of the truly courageous and pass it off as their own because of a common skin tone.

And on the most important point: Riley Cooper is a complete moron, and an utter-buffoon for saying what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    Well, I wouldn't expect to hear some rosy depiction of race relations from a black man living in poverty. In fact, I'd think that most people living in poverty would have some gripe with society.

I have, and I got the same response I expected: It shows ignorance to the word's implication, but if it's not with racist pretenses, that's all it is: ignorance. I personally don't think Cooper was making a statement in favor of White Supremacy by saying it, though if he was, I'd be all for crucifying him, lol. I just think he's incredibly stupid for saying it, given it's ignorance, and his career situation.

Far off track? Come on, man, keep up. I just don't like how you believe that some sort of "selective oppression" better equips a race to empathize with brutalities caused to their ancestors centuries before they were born. You even admit how far along we've come. I'm not suggesting forgive and forget, just respect an homage to only those that faced centuries of brutalities.

And my situation is comparable (in the manner I originally suggested, but more pertinently in an immigration-sense), enough so to draw a parallel. Let me explain: my mom came over when she was 23, and both of my father's parents were right off the boat. Life was tough for them, too. But it was tough for them, not me, so I don't partake in the talk of struggle, because it's foreign to me. There are black people that are struggling, mightily, but their struggle is similar to that which all races face. Conversely, there are black people that are as powerful, or successful as any man of any race.

Look, I can cherry pick examples like Jay Z, or Diddy, or most of the NFL, to combat yours, but it's not what I'm trying to accomplish here. I'm just saying that while oppression still takes form in modern society, it isn't exclusive to blacks, so I don't think that they can claim rights to share in the ancestral struggle, so to speak. That's the only part of your post that I disagreed with, and every post following was predicated off of that claim.

So, in order to end a conversation that will likely get me suspended, is emotionally charged, and even worse: could offend some people if they don't realize that I truly come from a place of sympathy, let me just say this:

I don't want to marginalize the struggles that black people have faced in this country, nor do I find that word acceptable, despite being so ubiquitous that it's been rendered almost as meaningless as the real "FBomb." The only thing I've suggested thus far is that centuries of brutality can not be better understood by people who have not personally experienced comparable brutality, regardless of the color of their skin. I, too, am white, and I know many black people that are my age. We both have similar lifestyles, and because of that, I don't think that the color of their skin can better equip them to empathize with admirable Civil Rights protesters than I could. And let me be clear, I have a TON of respect for those people. But I can't say the same for the people, because there are a few, that champion the courage of the truly courageous and pass it off as their own because of a common skin tone.

And on the most important point: Riley Cooper is a complete moron, and an utter-buffoon for saying what he did.
    But you took the conversation to a place it wasn't meant to go. I didn't compare Greek oppression to black oppression...he did. I merely stated that the 2 are not comparable. ESPECIALLY today in America where black people continue to live with being oppressed.
    And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, **** waffles.......G Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by dezzzR View Post
    They are able to receive welfare and foodstamps just like any other American. Oppression doesn't excuse responsibility. How many billions are thrown into black schools and communities? What if I told you blacks are viewed far more racist than whites. http://news.investors.com/ibd-editor...hue.htm?p=full

You have these race hustlers like Sharpton and Jackson preaching hate. They look for cases like Cooper and Zimmerman, and shout "SEE, I told you!", but wont say a word about all the kids being murdered in Chicago cause theres no money to be made, and most of the time the perpetrator is also black. Either way African Americans have much bigger problems than people who arent black saying the n word, wouldnt you say?

Sharpton and Jackson are race baiters for profit.....nothing more. And have nothing to do with this conversation. And black people certainly DO have bigger problems than someone using that word.....still doesn't make it right nor does it give any white person to say it's ok to do so.

And if you think food stamps and welfare are a means to "get out" you don't have a clue about either one.

You guys certainly know better than to tread into this kind of territory on these boards. I'll let this serve as a mass warning to everyone. Do NOT bring this subject matter up again, because the consequences will be severe

Closed Thread