+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Auction Drafts

Auction Drafts

Definitely*fun and a nice change of pace from the standard snake formats.

It's a lot of fun to jack the price up on people when you have no intention of getting them. Lots of strategy involved.

Anyone else ever do auction drafts?

Let's put the women and children to bed and go lookin' for dinner

They're much better. I'm doing 5 auction leagues this year.

No, never.. But I've read some about it

As for jacking up prices, it's much different in a mock then in a real auction draft. You get a real league going, one with money involved, and people are much stingier, deliberate, and judicious in their bids. You just have to be careful, and consider the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    As for jacking up prices, it's much different in a mock then in a real auction draft. You get a real league going, one with money involved, and people are much stingier, deliberate, and judicious in their bids. You just have to be careful, and consider the circumstances.
    Definitely have to be careful when money is involved. I think it's very important to know who you really like, and who you really dislike that way you don't get caught off guard. Also looking at other teams' needs is important too.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    No, never.. But I've read some about it
    Try doing it in a free public league. It's much more fun than traditional drafts IMO

I like them because you have to play your opponents instead of simply taking what falls into your lap.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    I like them because you have to play your opponents instead of simply taking what falls into your lap.
    I like that, too. I mean, I go into every year with guys -- typically mid-round caliber players -- that I definitely want on my team for one reason, or another. Your typical snake format makes that difficult, unless you trade back (which never happens).

So when you have an auction draft, you can assemble a pretty good team if you have a good idea of what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    I like that, too. I mean, I go into every year with guys -- typically mid-round caliber players -- that I definitely want on my team for one reason, or another. Your typical snake format makes that difficult, unless you trade back (which never happens).

So when you have an auction draft, you can assemble a pretty good team if you have a good idea of what you want.
    Yeah, I do that, too. I've gotten into some ridiculous bidding wars for those sorts of players. In a keeper league last year I backed down on Russell Wilson at $50, then won David Wilson for $100. I'd stashed both until the latter part of the draft, thinking that I'd land them easy. Nope.

I really wish more people would try auctions as I find them to be a lot more fun than regular snake drafts. There's a heck of a lot more engagement, and waiting is kept to a minimum.

+ Reply to Thread