+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

The Baffling David Wilson

I wasnt crazy about the David Wilson pick. I recognized his pure physical skill but I wasnt sure he had the make up of a lead back.This is why I thought the Giants needed to invest another mid round pick on bruising type carry the load RB. He eased my worries some this preseason but he was an absolute disaster of epic proportions last night. What do we do moving forward. If this kid doesnt have a big year this team is screwed. Huge black eye to Jerry Reese if he fails. These last 2 drafts from Reese have me worried

Eh, might be early still for him. Still young.

They do need another back though, Brown can not be relied on.

I would tend to agree though, I havent been in love with the past couple draft classes. Really its been Prince + Randle, and nobody else in any significant capacity.

This years class seems like it may do pretty well, Pugh played pretty well in his first start, Hankins was good in preseason, and DaMonster certainly flashed in his one game
    Last edited by slipknottin; 09-09-2013 at 10:00 PM.

I liked him as a player in the second [I only would have liked either of two RBs in the first with either Martin or Richardson]. I'm actually not concerned about the fumbles or even blocking because I think that can be remedied with time and reps. It's just coming at an unfortunate time with the injuries at fullback, tightend and OL which has an encompassing effect on the run game.

My concern was his ability to run between tackles, but it's still too early.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    I liked him as a player in the second [I only would have liked either of two RBs in the first with either Martin or Richardson]. I'm actually not concerned about the fumbles or even blocking because I think that can be remedied with time and reps. It's just coming at an unfortunate time with the injuries at fullback, tightend and OL which has an encompassing effect on the run game.

My concern was his ability to run between tackles, but it's still too early.
    Wilson was pretty much taken in the 2nd... He was the 32nd pick.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Wilson was pretty much taken in the 2nd... He was the 32nd pick.
    I figured him to be in the Giants draft board limbo in being too early to take with their first pick and too late to make it to their second. If you told me that Jonathan Martin and Cordy Glenn would be there at 32, and they'd take Wilson, I wouldn't have believed it.

I figured him to be in the Giants draft board limbo in being too early to take with their first pick and too late to make it to their second. If you told me that Jonathan Martin and Cordy Glenn would be there at 32, and they'd take Wilson, I wouldn't have believed it.
    I wouldnt have touched Martin, no power to play RT, and I didnt think he had the feet to play LT. Glenn I liked but I worried about his back. Tough being 350 pounds with a history of back issues.

If you look at the 10 picks after Wilson, it isnt exactly a list of all stars though either. Glenn is easily the best of them. Then Janoris Jenkins who the giants may well have not even had on their draft board.

But you mocked Martin to the Giants before the 2012 playoffs.

I have no issues with having Wilson now, but it was a surprise when his name was called at the time.

But you mocked Martin to the Giants before the 2012 playoffs.

I have no issues with having Wilson now, but it was a surprise when his name was called at the time.
    Then I watched more games of him...

I thought during the draft they should have traded back to mid 2nd. and picked up an extra 3rd.

Could have done

2nd - Bobby Wagner / Lavonte David
    2nd - Randle
    3rd - Bernard Pierce
    3rd - Hosley

I think it was Pierce I made a couple threads about pre-draft. Thought he was a very good runner.

I saw Wilsons physical gifts, but I couldnt evaluate him that well because that offense was nothing like the pro game.

Veteran
    id like to think it was just "jitters"....yes I know hes a pro and it should be an excuse and it was also a concern beginning of last year but he tightened it up and had a great year. no need for anyone to give up on the kid just yet.