+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boring year

Boring year

Anyone else getting that feeling from this year?

I'm looking forward to tonight's match-up between Seattle and NO, but other than that I haven't been excited for any other non-Cowboys game this year.

It was cool to see Brady vs Manning again, but I wasn't thrilled.

A lot of people like the parity, but personally I think it's detracted from this season.

4 of last years playoff teams are down right atrocious now: Texans, Falcons, Redskins and Vikings.

Aaron Rodgers is out so the Packers also stink. Perennial strong teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore have been extremely underwhelming.

Something just feels... off.

Anyone else?

It's definitely a bizarro year if nothing else. On the other hand it could also be a harbinger of a greater dynamic shift in the league, as some teams start stepping up while others regress. You have teams like SD, Cincy, and Detroit that are stepping up, Carolina came out of freaking nowhere, and Arizona playing decently too. Will any these teams be the "dominant" teams of the future?

Post 4/20 mock draft:
    Round 1: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama
    Round 2: ASJ, TE, Washington
    Round 3: Marcus Martin, C, USC
    Round 4: Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford
    Round 5: Khairi Fortt, OLB, California
    Round 6: Ethan Westbrooks, DE, West Texas A&M
    Round 6 comp: Cornelius Lucas, OT, Kansas State

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    It's definitely a bizarro year if nothing else. On the other hand it could also be a harbinger of a greater dynamic shift in the league, as some teams start stepping up while others regress. You have teams like SD, Cincy, and Detroit that are stepping up, Carolina came out of freaking nowhere, and Arizona playing decently too. Will any these teams be the "dominant" teams of the future?
    AZ and SD are actually prime examples of what I feel like is a bit off.

Yeah they're playing better, but they aren't young exciting teams that are surging for a great future. I really just feel like they'll stink again soon, anyway.

I don't know. It's hard to pin-point. It's just hard to get excited about anything in this league that's not directly related to my team. I think I'm just sick of the parity. The league just feels a bit like a crap-shoot nowadays.

The quality of the league is down big time.. IMO its the new CBA.

Antrel asks fans to "please stick with us" and when it's over "we'll all celebrate together."

Quote Originally Posted by NYGisBallin View Post
    The quality of the league is down big time.. IMO its the new CBA.
    I think that's a big part of it too to be completely honest. Specifically, the new CBA severely limits the number of practices in camp and the number of reps per practice. It has many different impacts on the quality of the game.

#1: fewer practices means players are not in prime football shape going into the season. This leads to the rash of injuries we've seen across the league nowadays.

#2: With fewer practices, college offenses are becoming more prevalent in the NFL because the limited practice time prevents teams from truly defending that. #1 also contributes to this, as players that would otherwise have been washed out of the NFL or never made it in the first place are getting new life as starters fall to IR. A prime example on the Giants is Peyton Hillis. Here's a guy whose career was pretty much over, but with the 5 billion RB injuries the Giants suffered, we needed someone. Other teams with more college-style playbooks turn to undrafted prospects to fill their ranks.

#3: Coaches that depended on practicing your players into the ground to make sure the fundamentals were solid are not able to do so anymore. A big example of this is Coughlin. He's always preaching execution over scheme. In the old CBA he could do that. Now he can't and the team is suffering for it. Meanwhile coaches that depend on out-gambitting other coaches with their trick plays and tempo changes and the like are starting to progress. Chip Kelly would have been ousted mid-season under the old CBA, for instance.

Post 4/20 mock draft:

The salary floor also doesn't help. It's another step toward every team being 8-8.

Good teams were already limited in retaining their players by the cap-- with the cap floor, even more players will be lured away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
    The salary floor also doesn't help. It's another step toward every team being 8-8.

Good teams were already limited in retaining their players by the cap-- with the cap floor, even more players will be lured away.
    I think the league's goal in all this was that by making every team closer to 8-8, it makes more late-season games relevant. But I agree that this is taking it too far. It's hard to be a fan when everyone is mediocre. There are some people that really do enjoy being bandwagoners. They want to root for a winning team. This tactic is taking away from all that.

Personally, I liked the move where week 17 is all divisional matchups. That helps keep more teams relevant later. (it kept the 2011 giants relevant even after their 2nd loss to the skins). Perhaps if the last 3 weeks were all division matchups (each against another team in the division), it would help things even further, without this need for having every team 8-8...

Post 4/20 mock draft:

All-Pro
    I haven't lost any interest at all. I wish the Giants were doing better but i love watching football

I'm actually loving the wild card races.....wish the GMen were in it though.