+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    Everybody keeps talking about Meyer's blocking. He's not a blocker, he is a pass catching TE. We new that when we signed him.
    yea I thought so too, but he actually came into the league as a reverse

his pass blocking failures last year were attributed to his injurys. Personally I think his lack of blocking skills have been highly overexaggerated to this point in the preseason
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

Quote Originally Posted by NYGFan84 View Post
    I think that is what has everyone upset. He's a pass catching TE that isn't really catching passes. So if he can't block and isn't catching passes he is pretty useless out there.
    The only position we should be upset with is at LBer...

everything else is just preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMeyerBud View Post
    yea I thought so too, but he actually came into the league as a reverse

his pass blocking failures last year were attributed to his injurys. Personally I think his lack of blocking skills have been highly overexaggerated to this point in the preseason
    i remember reading a poster make that claim, and then i checked and it wasnt accurate...ill look again tho. iirc, he was never a blocking TE caliber player...

and, just going off the film on him blocking as a giant, he has looked pretty terrible and lost...

edit- i was wrong. he came from iowa, who def. uses their TE's to block...but i dont see it with Myers?
    Last edited by giantsfan420; 08-22-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Overview
    Despite signing with Iowa in 2004, Myers' career seemed at a standstill. Not even listed on the depth chart in the spring of 2006, he developed into a reliable red-zone target as a junior, scoring five touchdowns on just 21 receptions for the season. Again listed as a backup entering his senior season, Myers parlayed injuries by others and his own development into earning first-team All-Big Ten accolades. Myers isn't a special athlete, but in tying for the team lead with four receiving touchdowns in 2008, he is viewed by some as an ascending prospect. Others, however, question if his effectiveness was due to defenses stacking the line of scrimmage in an effort to slow running back Shonn Greene.

High School
    High School honors: Class 2A first-team all-state selection by the Des Moines Register and first-team all-conference selection as a senior...First-team all-conference and all-state player as a junior...Second-team all-conference as a sophomore ...Finished prep career holding nine Prairie City-Monroe records, including receptions in a season (33) and career (82); touchdowns in a game (5), season (19) and career (29); points in a game (30) season (116) and career (186); and rushing touchdowns in a game (5)...Recorded 992 career rushing yards and 1,237 career receiving yards...Averaged 10.6 yards per carry as a senior while rushing for 932 yards and 15 touchdowns...Member of prep basketball team that posted a perfect 27-0 season record during senior year, winning Class 2A state championship...Named to Class 2-A all-state first team by the Des Moines Register...Named captain of all-tournament team at state tournament after averaging 30 points and 14.3 rebounds in three games...Had 31 points and 18 rebounds in double-overtime win in state title contest...Completed prep basketball career with 2,198 points to become 26th player in Iowa prep history to score more than 2,000 career points...Helped team advance to state basketball tournament in four consecutive seasons...High school coach was Todd Jones.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.
    Analysis
    Positives: Legitimate NFL build. Stout upper body. Good hand placement and upper body strength to assist in pass protection. Shows some balance and lateral quickness to mirror the defender. At least adequate initial quickness off the snap. Flexible enough to dip under the jam to gain a free release. Shows some burst out of his breaks and to gain separation. Not often given opportunities to catch passes in Iowa's offense, but shows at least adequate hands for the reception. Can make the tough grab in traffic.

Negatives: Lacks the straight-line speed to challenge down the seam. While possessing at least adequate upper body strength, is not explosive. Can get fundamentally lazy when blocking laterally. Stops moving his feet, causing him to remain engaged at the line of scrimmage or in space. Lacks agility in space to make defenders miss. Arrested in December 2007 on a charge of public intoxication and interference with official acts, pled guilty and was fined.
    *nfl.com scout profile on him...

while he did come from Iowa, and they do have the rep for developing blocking TE's, i cant say that he came into the league as a good blocking TE but i could be off on that.

I expect Myers will have a good to very good year. with opposing defenses preoccupied with our other receivers Myers could have a field day in some games and situations. i like him as an offensive player....and maybe game breaker in this offense.

as with Myers, Murphy will benefit from the attention given our other 3 receivers. alls he has to do is execute and i think he will in most situations.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1971 View Post
    I expect Myers will have a good to very good year. with opposing defenses preoccupied with our other receivers Myers could have a field day in some games and situations. i like him as an offensive player....and maybe game breaker in this offense.

as with Myers, Murphy will benefit from the attention given our other 3 receivers. alls he has to do is execute and i think he will in most situations.
    im on board with Myers, not really that high for Murphy. If he can step in when somebody goes down and get one or two deep TDs he will be perfect for us

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1971 View Post

nice post. i agree for the most part.

i think myers will have success if we utilize him more on underneath routes, like a checkdown/move the chains option similar to how dallas uses witten. im not saying to not use him to challenge defenses downfield, its just maybe he and eli need to develop a rapport before it looks like its clicking...

I could be all wrong about this, but I think TC is hiding some of our capabilities from Dallas. It's such a big game as the season opener (could set the 1st half season pace and confidence level of both teams) and a big division game. As far as I know, Meyers has only been targeted one time in both games. It would benefit the Giants to "hide" certain capabilities to make game planning more difficult for the Cowboys. Meyers was a beast for a bad Raider team last year and I'm sure he hasn't lost those skills. He is NOT a blocking TE. He is another big body receiver.I think he will surprise quite a few people this year although I 'm not sure why given the season he had last year. Anyone who plays fantasy football knows what he did!Go Giants!! Kick Cowgirls butts in their house again!

Myers is a nice player, but he's very different than the type of player we've used at the position the past few years. We've primarly used our TE's as blockers and as field stretchers up the seems.

Myers is more of a check-down option and someone that works well in the middle of the field. So I think it's gonna take some time before he truly fits.
    All Hail The New York Giants!!

Think about it... Cruz and Meyer in the middle of the field with Nicks and Randall on the outside. Oh, and Wilson out of the backfield or AB2 blocking for Eli!! Now if only our Oline situation could improve!!!!