+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do the Giants believe in Drafting another QB in the first?

I have a feeling they dont but Its a question I was discussing with someone in the media and wanted to get some opinions on

It was regarding the Idea that if ELI falters this year (which likely means the giants also have a bad record, worse than 7-9), will the Giants think about drafting a QB in the first in 2015?

Now, I do understand that the discussion about drafting a future QB isnt even on the table because we really dont know what we have in Nassib BUT for arguments sake, lets say Nassib isnt a good fit (or lets say they trade him on draft day, be it day 1 or day 2), do you believe that the Giants feel like they must draft a 1st rd QB?

Looking back at all the franchise QB the Giants have had, all have been 1st rounders (minus Conerly)

I believe that the Giants would need to go 1st round to find their franchise QB. IMO, the days of finding a franchise guy, past the 2nd round, is slim: the importance of that position, the amount of scouts and all the televised games, will make it very difficult to hide many gems at the QB position

and on to my point, and that is, if the scenario above happens, I believe, the Giants should definitely go QB in the first round. Ive got on guy in mind but we wont know where he goes until the 2014 NCAAF season is over.

Whats your take? Do you believe the Giants would need to go first in order to get a Franchise type QB or can we dive into the middle rounds for one?
    Last edited by Generation Eli; 05-06-2014 at 02:57 AM.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY Yes Bills contry what can I do its where I live
    I wouldn't have ruled it out ... except for this year. Seems like a weak QB draft. Depending on what Nassib can do, the Giants may look early in the next year or 2. For me I say no on a QB

I think it'd have more to do with the Giants finding a prospect they liked than just deciding, "Right, we're getting ourselves one of them first-round quarterbacks!". Acting out the latter tends to consign franchises to long periods of irrelevance.

I agree 100%. You just dont go after a QB in the first round (even if it is a first round grade QB), if you dont like him.

But IMO, theres 1 QB in next years draft that intrigues me and Ive said it earlier in the year and late last year. Hes coming into his own and could end up a top 3 guy next year. Hes legit.

Theres also a QB in this draft (mid rounds) I would take a flier on as well. IMO, hes a better prospect (as a pure qb) than Nassib, whos more of an athlete but this kid got a great arm and good touch.

I just feel like the Giants need to prepare for drafting a QB. If we look closely at the Giants first round or 2nd round picks, they are actually indicative of preparing for a departure in the following year, giving them a season to develop such player. I believe an article was written about it; something with a title similar to "do the giants actually draft BPA"

Drafting a QB mid rounds this year or even one early next year may not be a bad idea. If for some reason the giants dont like either qb in this years or the guy Im hoping for next year, then somethings wrong with them (as I dont see how they could dislike a guy to the point where they might not want to draft a guy, unless theres a serious flaw)

I think it is certainly a possibility. After all, Eli was drafted when we had a starting QB who had a SB under his belt and was exactly the same age as Eli is right now.

We'd have to see what Eli does this year. If it's a repeat of last year then it would be of serious consideration.

if Eli has a terrible year this year and we go worse than 7-9 i could definitely see Giants drafting QB in the first next year. Eli would be on his last year of his contract and like you said, Giants like to develop a player for a year usually before getting rid of the player and throwing the young guy in. If Eli has another terrible year its a sign that he's on the decline of his career and we should move on.

luckily i dont think that will happen, so i dont think we'll have to worry about that next year

BTW, whos the QB you like for next year?

Pine Barrens, NJ.. where we still hunt dinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Generation Eli View Post

But IMO, theres 1 QB in next years draft that intrigues me and Ive said it earlier in the year and late last year. Hes coming into his own and could end up a top 3 guy next year. Hes legit.

Theres also a QB in this draft (mid rounds) I would take a flier on as well. IMO, hes a better prospect (as a pure qb) than Nassib, whos more of an athlete but this kid got a great arm and good touch.

Are these QBs a secret or something? You dont name either one.

I agree with the guys saying this years QB class is "meh." Wait it out another year and see how Eli does.

"Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

It wouldn't make any sense for the Giants to draft a QB in the first round this year with all of the other holes they have to fill. Plus, Nassib is still an unknown factor. But if Eli doesn't have a good year and Nassib falls flat then drafting a QB in the first round in 2015 is a must.

Now, if the Giants didn't have so many other holes to fill and Nassib wasn't in the picture then you could make the argument about drafting a QB in the first round this year.
    One of these teams is not like the others

Why would we need a fifth qb ? Nope.
    1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Get Better #80, Hermano !!