+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Osi and his trade value!

So.....

The G-men will need to sign JPP and Cruz to long term deals. It is likely that they will not pony up the money to resign Osi after next season when his contract runs out.

Should they keep Osi on the squad for one more year (per contract)? or try and get somthing back in the off season?

Do you think his play this year has warranted a 1st round pick in return?

JD

Veteran

Re: Osi and his trade value!

[quote user="MikeSherrard"]So.....

The G-men will need to sign JPP and Cruz to long term deals.* It is likely that they will not pony up the money to resign Osi after next season when his contract runs out.

Should they keep Osi on the squad for one more year (per contract)?* or try and get somthing back in the off season?

Do you think his play this year has warranted a 1st round pick in return?

JD
    [/quote]

Ask yourself this. Would you trade your first round pick for a 30 year old, injury prone player? No

We might be able to get a 2nd but a 3rd is probably more realistic. In the end I think anything we can get from him is worth it because It will save cap room which we desperately need for Cruz and JPP.

All-Pro

They tried a 1st last season and no one bit. Im not sure why. People covet these draft picks too much. I understand the financial aspect of it and the fact Osi will be 30 next season, but a team a pass rusher away from being a great team can afford to deal a late first for him. Pats and Bengals have 2 1st rounders.

Im a huge Osi fan, but I have come to the realization he isnt coming back. Might as well trade him and get some good value.

Hoping for a 2nd and 5th for him in the offseason unless he decides he wants to play here.

It all depends on what Osi's value is on the open market.

The Giants aren't just going to give him to another team. They want equal value.

I can see a few things, they will see what other teams are willing to give the Giants for Osi. If it isn't what the Giants feel is equal value I can see him back next year.

I feel the Giants hold all the cards, Osi tried everything this off-season and nothing worked to his advantage. Osi has to be realistic, he will not get the contract he wants. Would some team be willing to give a huge contract to a player who has had numerous surgeries to his legs? Also you have to put into account his age.

Giants fan since the early 80s

All-Pro

I doubt any team would give up a first or even second round pick for him... and his value to the Giants is more than you would likely get from a 3rd round pick... but, like Spizi said, the cap may ultimately be the determining factor. JR is going to have to be very creative this off-season. Considering needs at other positions they may have to look at thinning out the biggest strength of the team in order to strengthen other positions, and their strength is without question at DE. Personally I would hate to see Osi go, but long term that might be necessary.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

If we trade him next year I think we'd be LUCKY to get a 2nd, but in reality I could see us getting a 3rd and 6th or something like that

Osi is too injury prone to warrant a higher round pick
    Round1: AA-Ron Donald, DT, Pitt
    Round2: Kareem Martin, UNC, DE
    Round3: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
    Round4: Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
    Round5: Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
    Round5: Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers

All-Pro

I dont think its worth trading him unless we get a 2nd rounder out of it.

9 sacks a season is still pretty productive.

If we didn't trade him last year, why would we do so this year?

Both Cruz and JPP are under contract for next year. . .no urgency there.

I expect him to play a full season with us next year. Then he'll get the bidding war he wants, and we'll get compensatory consideration.
    We need our coaches to assign playing time based on something other than player salary.

All-Pro

[quote user="RagTime Blue"]If we didn't trade him last year, why would we do so this year?

Both Cruz and JPP are under contract for next year. . .no urgency there.

I expect him to play a full season with us next year. Then he'll get the bidding war he wants, and we'll get compensatory consideration.
    [/quote]

Thats a damn good point.

If Osi leaves for FA we probably get a 3rd or 4th rd pick for him in comp.

So, we might as well keep him unless we can get a significantly better deal.

All-Pro

be lucky to get a 4th pick for a 30 year old DE and that is no knock on Osi, it's just how the league works ... teams want draft picks ... they want to find the next Osi and not overpay for the 30 year old, often injured, sometimes 'tudey version