+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Balanced offensive attack again by KG?

31 rushes 100+ yds
    35 passes 350+ yds

Man I would have never guessed that while watching the game last night. Seemed like we came out throwing & never stopped.

Was that stat correct or did I get wrong infomation?

Re: Balanced offensive attack again by KG?

[quote user="jakegibbs"]31 rushes 100+ yds 35 passes 350+ yds Man I would have never guessed that while watching the game last night. Seemed like we came out throwing & never stopped. Was that stat correct or did I get wrong infomation?[/quote]

No, that's right, but it's a little misleading. It includes the 3 scrambles by Eli and the 3 knees at the end of the game. So, Eli actually dropped back to pass 38 times and we had designed runs on 26 plays.

Minus Eli's runs, we ran for under 100 yds and we still had a horrendous ypc at 3.84.

And people wonder why KG wants to throw the ball so damn much. I can't rightly blame him.

All-Pro

the entire time KG has been OC he has tried to have a balanced attack thru taking what the D is giving and keeping the D off balance, so the fact that we were more of a pass happy, finesse team this year ... i don't put very much of that on him

our line and backs simply werent getting it done ... you can only bang your head into the wall so many times, b4 you have to go, well Eli, we need you to carry us until we figure out how to run block and how to run

then you can't dismiss line and RB injuries

finally and most importantly, we were behind in every game except last nite, so we were very often in comeback mode and that always involves more passing

so not surprisingly in the only game we weren't behind ... we had balance

I still think Petrus is the better run blocker....I wish he could somehow play on running downs without making it obvious for the defense. Baas actually played pretty well last night, and he's always been a good pass protector but he's not a good run blocker at all. The line seems like it always collapses in the middle and never gets a push when he's out there.

[quote user="Drez"]

[quote user="jakegibbs"]31 rushes 100+ yds 35 passes 350+ yds Man I would have never guessed that while watching the game last night. Seemed like we came out throwing & never stopped. Was that stat correct or did I get wrong infomation?[/quote]

No, that's right, but it's a little misleading. It includes the 3 scrambles by Eli and the 3 knees at the end of the game. So, Eli actually dropped back to pass 38 times and we had designed runs on 26 plays.

Minus Eli's runs, we ran for under 100 yds and we still had a horrendous ypc at 3.84.

And people wonder why KG wants to throw the ball so damn much. I can't rightly blame him.*

[/quote]

Oh Yeah I forgot about Eli & the few times he had to run, the kneel downs & I guess the 2 sacks were classified as runs also.

Not as balanced as I thought ....hmmmmm...

[quote user="jakegibbs"][quote user="Drez"]

And people wonder why KG wants to throw the ball so damn much. I can't rightly blame him.

[/quote] Oh Yeah I forgot about Eli & the few times he had to run, the kneel downs & I guess the 2 sacks were classified as runs also. Not as balanced as I thought ....hmmmmm...[/quote]

Sacks go down as passing plays, which is how you got your 35 pass play numbers despite Eli only having 33 passing attempts.

But, considering our horrendous run blocking I can't blame KG from getting away from the run a little, especially when we're having success in the passing game.

your right jake

[quote user="Voldamort"]your right jake[/quote]

Thanks Voldamort but remember one thing...
    even a blind hog finds an acorn every now & then... I guess I got lucky at least once now anyway.

I don't know why we aren't throwing the ball on closer to 2/3rds of our offensive snaps. We are a dangerous passing team, but we can rarely even manage an average running game.

know what else might factor into it, teams have said "we'll dare eli to beat us", especially after the 25 ints last year, i could totally see why opposing defensive coaches would want to gameplan to take away the run at almost all cost so that eli and the wr's would have to beat them.

which would make it very tough to have a running game. when we had plex, he kind of offset that bc of what plex brought to the table.

w/o plex, our run game had gotten worse and worse. the culmination of that is this year.

i suspect that next year, and even the playoffs this year, our run game will get back on track as teams will have to respect the fact that eli has the most pass plays of 40 yards or more, and a lot of that is credit to the wr's.

we'll see tho, just a thought of mine.