+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Slightly off topic, but Rex Ryan says this year it wasn't a team but a bunch of individuals...

sorry if this is slightly off topic, but I think it still relates to giants football bc we were considering signing Plex in the preseason.

Ryans post season press conference, he kept on stating how the difference between this year and the two years prior, it wasnt a collective team, but a bunch of individuals. he wouldnt single any players out, but he kept repeating "for whatever reason, we weren't a team but a bunch of individuals"

Now i think part of this was the plex signing. Early in the year, and throughout really, plex just always seemed to have like a pouting spoiled kid attitude. this year, s.holmes was an issue, but prior to the plex signing, he really wasn't at all and in fact a lot of the jets players said he was a helluva team player.

I am really glad we didnt sign plex although part of me wanted to see that eli to plex combo again. locker rooms can be divided so easily it seems, and can any of us say cruz would have had the year he had if plex was here? not only in terms of play but in terms of mentality.

i know this pure speculation, but I just find it odd that Rex Ryan says that this year the players werent a team but a bunch of individuals, and it coincided directly with the signing of plex. they stopped running the ball as much and trying to air it out i think to keep a guy like plex happy. he was visibly unhappy when the jets were winning early in the year and he wasnt a factor.

props to reese and coughlin for not reaching on players, and really stressing the team mantra, from the coach to the qb to the defense, it seems if for nothing else, this giants team is just that, a team.

i dont think we'd be here with the attitude our players have if we signed plex. we may have had more wins or more losses, but the mentality of the team i think would be vastly different.

edit-plex signing with the jets became a cental focus point for the media, and the ny media is a ***** we all know that. it had to have been a distraction not only for the players but for the coaches to "make it look like a great signing"...ryan said plex would put the team over the top to win the lombardi, but i think it was a dentriment to the team early in the season.

had we signed plex, it would have been the same. a distraction and focal point for the media.

Re: Slightly off topic, but Rex Ryan says this year it wasn't a team but a bunch of individuals...

Individuals care about stats.
    Teams win championships.

Re: Slightly off topic, but Rex Ryan says this year it wasn't a team but a bunch of individuals...

Well, for one...

3 of the Jets top 5 playmakers consist of Holmes, Plax, and Cromartie....not exactly the most selfless bunch...

lol...oh well...who cares...

[quote user="NYfanatic"]Individuals care about stats.
    Teams win championships.

[/quote]

thats what i was trying to say, thank u it only took u 7 words, lol. but i think plex wanted to prove he was capable and a big time player that his stats took more precedent over the team, and something like that is disastrous to the team mentality.

double post

i think plex woulda put his stats ahead of the teams success and with younger guys like cruz and nicks, that'd be disastrous for them.

cancers dont start out consuming a body, it starts with a lil tumor and grows from there.

reese knew what he was doing all along. glad we didnt sign him, i can officially say that without any doubt.

You can't take anything Rex Ryan states as facts.

He was quoted yesterday as to saying he had no idea Santonio Holmes was on the bench in the 4th qt of the Dolphin game, last time I checked the Head Coach makes all the decisions on the team.

Rex Ryan created this mess, he gave the players free will to say and do whatever they wanted. Yeah sure it looked good when they were winning. But as soon as this team faced adversity there true colors came out.

Giants fan since the early 80s

when they gave the money to Holmes,not a team player,potsmoker yes,look at the steelers have not missed a beat with out him!

i saw Plax on the sideline trying to calm Santonio down and talk sense into him - that was the most disturbing part about Holmes rant - Plax saying "You can't do that"
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

[quote user="ny06"]

You can't take anything Rex Ryan states as facts.

He was quoted yesterday as to saying he had no idea Santonio Holmes was on the bench in the 4th qt of the Dolphin game, last time I checked the Head Coach makes all the decisions on the team.

Rex Ryan created this mess, he gave the players free will to say and do whatever they wanted. Yeah sure it looked good when they were winning. But as soon as this team faced adversity there true colors came out.

[/quote]

Well said. Francessca pointed this out as well earlier today during his absolute ripping of the Jets.

Let's put the women and children to bed and go lookin' for dinner