+ Reply to Thread

Can someone pls explain to me?

On the series where the Giants eventually kicked the field goal to make to score at the time 24-14, why did the Giants attempt to throw the ball on all three str8 plays?

If I remember correctly, we were just inside the 10 or 15 yard line and Eli got sacked on the 2nd down play pushing us beyond the 20 yard line. Then on 3rd down Eli actually scrambled for positive yardage back to the 20, and then we kicked the field goal.

I am perfectly fine with kicking the field goal as it put us up by two scores and took pressure off of the defense. What upsets me is that this was the time to run the ball to further kill the clock. There was still approximately 5-6 minutes left to play?

I know i have complained that our OC is too predictable because I feel that he is. Although this game he called a balanced Run/Pass game, sometimes you should use the clock to your advantage.

My point is that Dallas was getting momentum and the Giants were going 3 and out on consecutive series. We could have burned another minute off of the clock and still kicked the field goal. Don't give them enough time to drive, score, hold our offense, get the ball again and score again.

I know he tries to take what the defense gives you but there is a time to run and a there is a time to pass. There is a time to be aggressive and a time to be conservative.I still dont agree with alot of the play selection.

Geez, i know this post sounds like I'm complaining about passing when we should be running and other posts I may complain about the opposite. Honestly, the general issue is not just passing or running but not being predictable.
    However, in this instance i feel it was the right time to be conservative and run the clock down and kick the field goal.

Yesterday, with the exception of this particular series, the OC play calling was good.

Great utilization of the FB with the flare passes!
    Reminds me almost of Rob Carpenter, back in the day.

Re: Can someone pls explain to me?

[quote user="paul007"]On the series where the Giants eventually kicked the field goal to make to score at the time 24-14, why did the Giants attempt to throw the ball on all three str8 plays? If I remember correctly, we were just inside the 10 or 15 yard line and Eli got sacked on the 2nd down play pushing us beyond the 20 yard line. Then on 3rd down Eli actually scrambled for positive yardage back to the 20, and then we kicked the field goal. I am perfectly fine with kicking the field goal as it put us up by two scores and took pressure off of the defense. What upsets me is that this was the time to run the ball to further kill the clock. There was still approximately 5-6 minutes left to play? I know i have complained that our OC is too predictable because I feel that he is. Although this game he called a balanced Run/Pass game, sometimes you should use the clock to your advantage. My point is that Dallas was getting momentum and the Giants were going 3 and out on consecutive series. We could have burned another minute off of the clock and still kicked the field goal. Don't give them enough time to drive, score, hold our offense, get the ball again and score again. I know he tries to take what the defense gives you but there is a time to run and a there is a time to pass. There is a time to be aggressive and a time to be conservative.I still dont agree with alot of the play selection. Geez, i know this post sounds like I'm complaining about passing when we should be running and other posts I may complain about the opposite. Honestly, the general issue is not just passing or running but not being predictable. However, in this instance i feel it was the right time to be conservative and run the clock down and kick the field goal. Yesterday, with the exception of this particular series, the OC play calling was good. Great utilization of the FB with the flare passes! Reminds me almost of Rob Carpenter, back in the day. [/quote]

Dallas owned the runing game but the GMEN can pass protect, would have liked to see some time off the clock but they wanted 7 not 3.

Forget the Past, Live for the Future!

[quote user="paul007"]On the series where the Giants eventually kicked the field goal to make to score at the time 24-14, why did the Giants attempt to throw the ball on all three str8 plays?

If I remember correctly, we were just inside the 10 or 15 yard line and Eli got sacked on the 2nd down play pushing us beyond the 20 yard line. Then on 3rd down Eli actually scrambled for positive yardage back to the 20, and then we kicked the field goal.

I am perfectly fine with kicking the field goal as it put us up by two scores and took pressure off of the defense. What upsets me is that this was the time to run the ball to further kill the clock. There was still approximately 5-6 minutes left to play?

I know i have complained that our OC is too predictable because I feel that he is. Although this game he called a balanced Run/Pass game, sometimes you should use the clock to your advantage.

My point is that Dallas was getting momentum and the Giants were going 3 and out on consecutive series. We could have burned another minute off of the clock and still kicked the field goal. Don't give them enough time to drive, score, hold our offense, get the ball again and score again.

I know he tries to take what the defense gives you but there is a time to run and a there is a time to pass. There is a time to be aggressive and a time to be conservative.I still dont agree with alot of the play selection.

Geez, i know this post sounds like I'm complaining about passing when we should be running and other posts I may complain about the opposite. Honestly, the general issue is not just passing or running but not being predictable.
    However, in this instance i feel it was the right time to be conservative and run the clock down and kick the field goal.

Yesterday, with the exception of this particular series, the OC play calling was good.

Reminds me almost of Rob Carpenter, back in the day. [/quote]

So you're saying we should have played for the FG just to run time off the clock ?
    You take as many points as you can get, regardless of the time on the clock, UNLESS you can seal the game. At that point in the game, we could not seal it by running and eating the clock- therefore, we try for 6, and accept the 3 if that's all we can get.

Veteran

[quote user="paul007"]On the series where the Giants eventually kicked the field goal to make to score at the time 24-14, why did the Giants attempt to throw the ball on all three str8 plays? If I remember correctly, we were just inside the 10 or 15 yard line and Eli got sacked on the 2nd down play pushing us beyond the 20 yard line. Then on 3rd down Eli actually scrambled for positive yardage back to the 20, and then we kicked the field goal. I am perfectly fine with kicking the field goal as it put us up by two scores and took pressure off of the defense. What upsets me is that this was the time to run the ball to further kill the clock. There was still approximately 5-6 minutes left to play? I know i have complained that our OC is too predictable because I feel that he is. Although this game he called a balanced Run/Pass game, sometimes you should use the clock to your advantage. My point is that Dallas was getting momentum and the Giants were going 3 and out on consecutive series. We could have burned another minute off of the clock and still kicked the field goal. Don't give them enough time to drive, score, hold our offense, get the ball again and score again. I know he tries to take what the defense gives you but there is a time to run and a there is a time to pass. There is a time to be aggressive and a time to be conservative.I still dont agree with alot of the play selection. Geez, i know this post sounds like I'm complaining about passing when we should be running and other posts I may complain about the opposite. Honestly, the general issue is not just passing or running but not being predictable. However, in this instance i feel it was the right time to be conservative and run the clock down and kick the field goal. Yesterday, with the exception of this particular series, the OC play calling was good. Great utilization of the FB with the flare passes! Reminds me almost of Rob Carpenter, back in the day. [/quote]

I was kinda scratching my head too, because I understand they wanted 7 not 3 but that close to the goal line...with a chance to burn of a minute....and still go for the 7....but be left with a sure chipshot to make it a 2 score game again...made absolute sense.

3 passes was horrible playcalling. but, like people say, its a playoff atmosphere and you normally go for the kill.

But logic tells you that you run, run, pass, FG. Take off that time, take a shot in the endzone and be left with your sure FG.

What we got was inc pass, sack, scramble and a longer FG?

You always want 7 in game like yesterday. Also once Dallas got the ball back they would trying o score quick and score TDs at that. So if your the Giants you want to stay as far ahead. Getting a TD there puts Dallas back by two TDs and not just 10.....

The play calling was ok the offense was trying to get their momentum back too.....

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

[quote user="redbeardxxv"][quote user="paul007"]On the series where the Giants eventually kicked the field goal to make to score at the time 24-14, why did the Giants attempt to throw the ball on all three str8 plays?

So you're saying we should have played for the FG just to run time off the clock ?
    You take as many points as you can get, regardless of the time on the clock, UNLESS you can seal the game. At that point in the game, we could not seal it by running and eating the clock- therefore, we try for 6, and accept the 3 if that's all we can get.[/quote]

Yes the Giants were trying to add to their lead (who wouldn't?). Glad Eli was conscientious enough to run for yardage to give Tynes a shorter FG try after Tynes had missed a 40-yarder in the rain. Smart play by Eli.

[quote user="paul007"]On the series where the Giants eventually kicked the field goal to make to score at the time 24-14, why did the Giants attempt to throw the ball on all three str8 plays?

"Then on 3rd down Eli actually scrambled for positive yardage back to the 20, and then we kicked the field goal"

Not so fast I thought he scrambled down to around the 10 yd line making it a chip shot FG. Remember Tynes missed the one around the 20 yd line. I think is was offically a 37 yder he missed & made a 27 yder which means the ball was placed down somewhere around the 10 yd line not the 20.

He kinda looked like Romo instead of Eli on that scramble right?

I guess you also didn't agree when it was 1st & goal with 3:45 second leading by 10 pts & what does KG call up? Nicks fade away that everyone has been killing him for the last few weeks & sealed the victory with Eli's 15th 4th quarter TD which will go into the record book ahead of Johnny Unitas & big brother Peyton.
    Hmm......

[quote user="jakegibbs"][quote user="paul007"]On the series where the Giants eventually kicked the field goal to make to score at the time 24-14, why did the Giants attempt to throw the ball on all three str8 plays?

I guess you also didn't agree when it was 1st & goal with 3:45 second leading by 10 pts & what does KG call up? Nicks fade away that everyone has been killing him for the last few weeks & sealed the victory with Eli's 15th 4th quarter TD which will go into the record book ahead of Johnny Unitas & big brother Peyton.
    Hmm......[/quote]

That's cause Nicks was covered one on one by Scandrick. That's like Federer vs. Rod****. I'd take that matchup any play any day too. If there was a more capbable CB/DB, that wouldn't have looked so simple.