Giants' Links: The Latest On A Busy And Serious Day At Practice
Excerpt: "The world of fantasy football met real life yesterday at the Giants’ Quest Diagnostic Performance Center when coach Tom Coughlin informed his team and the media of the tragic death of his younger brother, John, on Monday.
John Coughlin, 63, died in a freak accident when he exited a taxi, fell and hit his head. Steve Politi talked with John’s grief-stricken companion, Suzanne Malloy, and penned a moving story. John was Tom Coughlin’s only brother. He has five sisters.
With that news as a backdrop, the Giants turned in what several players said was one of their most spirited practices. At 0-2, the Giants know that Sunday’s game at Carolina (0-2) is a “must-win.”
After practice, defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul spoke with the media in a candid and revealing interview. He admitted he’s a work in progress coming off back surgery on June 4th, saying he too is waiting to see the old JPP.
Also, the Giants continue to seek remedies for their ailing running game. Running back David Wilson says the Giants haven’t asked him to alter the way he carries the ball -- I'm not sure I’m buying that -- and that he hasn’t lost his confidence in himself.
Either way, today will be another action-packed day at practice today. Check in with us at nj.com/giants for the latest updates as they happen.
MORE FROM THE STAR-LEDGER & NJ.COM:
• Injured running back Andre Brown jogging "a little" three weeks into rehab after suffering fractured leg.
• One possible spark for the Giants passive pass rush may be rookie defensive end Damontre Moore, who has a stellar preseason debut against Pittsburgh before injuring his shoulder and missing the final three preseason games.
• Columnist Kathleen O'Brien takes a look at the "new NFL" and wonders if there are too many penalties.
• Giants are tied for last in the NFC East but lead the NFL with the most expensive tickets in resale market.
• Photo and video links from practice yesterday." Read more...