Closed Thread
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    All-Pro

Re: ***Burress Agrees to 2 Years***

I can't help but think that with the support of the Giant organization behind him the outcome would have much different.

What a fool.

http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905 Get well, get back #80

All-Pro

[quote user="Jint Fan 73"]I'm saying they either don't have the data or didn't care to reference it because it didn't apply to the subject of the article.[/quote]

If that's the case the wording of the article is irresponsible, because it sure makes it seem like they DO have the data and have chosen to tell you that what you two are saying is not the case.

[quote user="DavenIII"][quote user="Jint Fan 73"]I don't see how getting under the minimum sentence for a crime you are clearly guilty of is not getting a fair shake[/quote]

Because nearly EVERYONE gets under the minimum for the crime they clearly committed, but none of those guys have the mayor putting pressure on the DA to prosecute you to the maximum.

It's not about the whats on the books, it's about what you or me would get...and it'd be less then 2 years.
    [/quote]

you are telling me you have data on all the cases and know exactly of those cases who was cleary guilty and who wasn't? And what each person got sentenced to?

why didn't you share that - would have ended this right away.

All-Pro

[quote user="Jint Fan 73"]you are telling me you have data on all the cases and know exactly of those cases who was cleary guilty and who wasn't? And what each person got sentenced to?

why didn't you share that - would have ended this right away.[/quote]

Nope, but I have second hand experience after hearing what many lawyers have said on the topic on talk radio and having discussed this previously with 3 friends of mine (separately) that are also lawyers, I also have the fact that the wording in your article seems to imply that what I've said is the case.

All-Pro

dp

[quote user="DavenIII"][quote user="Jint Fan 73"]I'm saying they either don't have the data or didn't care to reference it because it didn't apply to the subject of the article.[/quote]

If that's the case the wording of the article is irresponsible, because it sure makes it seem like they DO have the data and have chosen to tell you that what you two are saying is not the case.
    [/quote]

The point of the article is how HIGH the conviction rate is under the new tough laws and how tough it will be for Plax to avoid time. The data they present supports that.

You might not think 20% is high but apparently it is

The conviction rate on Burress' gun charge citywide is on the rise,
    climbing to more than 15% from about 9% between 2006 and 2007 - its
    highest rate in five years.

That's due in part to changes to the law enacted in 2006 that toughened sentencing for second-degree gun possession, said Anthony Schepis,
    Bronx executive assistant district attorney. Under the old law, the
    offense was a class D felony and judges could find mitigating
    circumstances for penalties other than jail. "We had one judge who gave
    89% probation under the old law," Schepis said.

All-Pro

[quote user="Jint Fan 73"]You might not think 20% is high but apparently it is[/quote]

Actually I do think it's high, I've sat in court probably, 20+ times now, almost noone gets convicted of the crimes they actually committed, unless they are super serious.

Well, it's just sad that he is part of one of the great moments in Giant history and now a prisoner. Sadder still is the always forgotten family of this man. Here is to hopes he turns this, ultimately, in a positive direction for them.

[quote user="dezzzR"]

[quote user="DavenIII"]It's a damn shame they couldn't treat him fairly and decided to make an example out of him because of his fame.
    [/quote]

i highly agree. **** bloomburg.

Every american has a right to defend themselves regardless if its registered

if he shot someone trying to break into his home with the same gunhe still would of been charged. this country is *** backwards.

hes still an idiot for rocking a glock in his sweatpants and hes an idiot for not getting it registered, but still 2 years?!?

[/quote]