+ Reply to Thread

NY GIANTS: FIVE MOST SURPRISING THINGS ABOUT THE REGULAR SEASON

NY GIANTS: FIVE MOST SURPRISING THINGS ABOUT THE REGULAR SEASON

"As the New York Giants
    prepare for Sunday's first-round playoff game against the Atlanta Falcons I
    thought I would take a really quick look at the regular season. Here, briefly,
    are the five most surprising things about the Giants 2011 regular season.
    1. Victor Cruz -- How
      much more can we say about Cruz? The guy has been incredible. He has
      salsa-danced his way into the hearts of Giants' fans, and into the history
      books. You know you have made it when guys start imitating your touchdown dance,
      which has happened with Cruz on multiple occasions this season.
    2. The Giants finished last
      in the league in rushing
      -- How does that happen with Tom Coughlin as
      head coach? Even more amazingly, how in the world did the Giants finish last in
      the league in rushing AND make the playoffs?
    3. Jacquian
      Williams
      was their best rookie
      -- Anybody who said they saw that coming
      is lying. Eyebrows were raised by draft analysts everywhere when the Giants
      selected Williams in the sixth round -- most people thought Williams was UDFA
      material. There is a long way to go before he gets there, but Williams might --
      just might, not will -- end up being the best linebacker the Giants have drafted
      since Jesse Armstead.
    4. The Giants lost to
      Seattle once, Washington twice and still made the playoffs
      -- If you are
      like me you spent a good chunk of the season thinking that, ultimately, that
      early-season loss to the Seahawks was the
      one that would doom the Giants to a third straight playoff-less season. As for
      the two losses to the Redskins? Just
      think how good that Washington team has a chance to be if Mike Shanahan can ever
      find a real quarterback. Watch out for the Redskins if Shanahan is able to use
      Washington's stockpile of draft picks to trade for Sam Bradford
      of St. Louis.
    5. Perry Fewell took more
      heat from fans and the media this season than Kevin Gilbride
      -- Rip the
      coordinator is one of the favorite pastimes of Giants' fans -- only that is
      usually reserved for Gilbride on the offensive side of the ball. This season,
      though, Fewell has gone from a guy many saw as a potential Coughlin successor to
      a guy many fans would like run out of town. Gilbride has pretty much gotten a
      pass as his offense carried Fewell's defense most of the
      season."
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: NY GIANTS: FIVE MOST SURPRISING THINGS ABOUT THE REGULAR SEASON

Always good posts..and this is no exception. How ever I'm not so sure that Fewell taking heat over Gilbride was a surprise...As you have pointed out the fans here will ( moi included ), jump right down the throat of Coordinator, when their team isn't performing week after week, as was the case for Fewell's team earlier this season..I am not in the know, but that he ( Fewell ) was considered a potential for HC, is actually the shocker to me. In any case your insights are always good readin. Thanks

I'm happy to see the progression of Williams more than anything else on the list. We are desperate for improved play at line backer RIGHT NOW and I think he's going to prove to be a keeper.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Shanahan trading picks for Bradford? Is that serious? Bradford will remain a Ram IMO.

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]I'm happy to see the progression of Williams more than anything else on the list.* We are desperate for improved play at line backer RIGHT NOW and I think he's going to prove to be a keeper.
    [/quote]

Agreed, and what better "teacher " then hands-on as a rook !!!! Counting on the vets to help him stay calm throughout post season...

What amazes me about these rookies (especially of of the LB's) is that they have contributed despite not having an offseason and have been pretty much learning as they go.

All-Pro

[quote user="MikeIsaGiant"]Shanahan trading picks for Bradford? Is that serious? Bradford will remain a Ram IMO.[/quote]

Yeah, where the hell did that come from? Are they suggesting Rams take Griffen III at #2? Keep Clemmons?

Bradford is a solid QB, just needs ANYTHING around him. Get him Blackmon or Kaliland see what happens.

I think this is a very bad list. A lot of people were high in Cruz after last preseason and loved Williams's athleticism/potential before this season. Many, Many, Many of us have been very upset with our running game and have worried about our oline. It's impossible to look back and guess, but I'd say #4 would be most surprising.

[quote user="C1010"]What amazes me about these rookies (especially of of the LB's) is that they have contributed despite not having an offseason and have been pretty much learning as they go.
    [/quote]

I was pleasantly surprised when Williams got a sack Sunday

# 80