+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

For NY Giants, Trading Hakeem Nicks Now May Be For The Best

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1485761

Excerpt: "The vultures are already circling around the Giants’ dead carcass, waiting to see what’s left to pick off. The most attractive piece will likely turn out to be receiver Hakeem Nicks, who is unsigned beyond the end of this season. And the Giants are willing to listen if another team is willing to bite.

But if they do take what would be a significant plunge and trade Nicks – or any other veteran player, for that matter – it would not be well-received inside their already-fragile locker room by the players who are left behind. It would be a “dagger,” in the words of Brandon Jacobs, to a team that’s already crumbling.

As if they haven’t already stuck plenty of daggers into themselves.

“The business part of it is the business part of it and there’s nothing we can do about it as players,” Jacobs said. “But depending on the person, it could be a dagger. It could go in both ways.

“It’ll hurt. I think it’ll definitely hurt for us being in the vulnerable state we are now.”

Of course, the Giants’ state is something more than “vulnerable” at the moment. Their 2013 season is over, whether they remain too delusional to admit it or not. The players may not be willing to wave a white flag of surrender, but the front office has to consider it before the Oct. 29 trade deadline, for the good of next season and beyond.

The Giants don’t expect to deal Nicks, according to one source who has spoken to a member of the front office, but they have indicated a willingness to listen to offers for the receiver or any veteran player. There was even a report over the weekend that the San Francisco 49ers (who are without Michael Crabtree and Mario Manningham) and the Atlanta Falcons (who have been playing with a gimpy Roddy White and just lost Julio Jones) are interested in seeing what the Giants are willing to do.

But several NFL sources believe that barring an unlikely bidding war born of desperation, the Giants are unlikely to get much in return for a receiver who would be a 10-game rental and might need several weeks to learn a new offense. The consensus from those sources is the Giants would get a mid-round pick in return. If multiple teams are interested, maybe the pick could be as high as a third.

That doesn’t seem like a lot for a player that even Victor Cruz calls the Giants’ “No. 1 receiver,” which is why the reaction in the locker room would be like sticking a pin in an already deflated balloon. But isn’t it better than getting nothing at all?

Because the Giants might not be willing or able to re-sign Nicks, an injury-prone receiver who hasn’t looked like his old No. 1 self since Week 2 of last season and who is surely going to ask for way more than the five years, $43 million the Giants just gave Cruz." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

The NY media sure is whipping itself into a frenzy over this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    The NY media sure is whipping itself into a frenzy over this topic.
    The "vultures" are circling, hoping to ride this team to its grave. Keep the story going until it dies.

I think the Giants are not likely to trade Nicks. First, if the best they can get is a 3rd round pick, just wait for FA and, if he leaves, we get one anyway. The other thing, and this is just a guess, if they trade the advertised "#1 receiver" they are publicly acknowledging they are giving up. I am not sure that's something they are prepared to admit just yet. The real question is what message does that send the players??
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 10-15-2013 at 05:03 AM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by B-Red22 View Post
    exactly this, we are gonna end up with probably a 3rd round comp pick if he leaves in FA so i wouldn't take anything besides a first
    Pretty much this. Don't think we'll get that kind of offer though.

I only trust Reese with first rounders now though, as it's the only round he's consistently hit with... Ross Phillips Nicks JPP Prince Wilson Pugh. Phillips and Wilson are borderline hits, but given that we picked at 32 those years it makes sense...

We're going to need at least 3 first round picks if we expect Reese to be able to pull us out of the fire...
    Last edited by Toadofsteel; 10-15-2013 at 05:47 AM.

im guessing there is no cap penalties in his world. Also who would be our QB?

Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    Antrel Rolle

Jakk is that you?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    Oh I see, you want to salvage the season? Giants still in the hunt to win the division? Ha, bottom line is this, yeah that trade is completely farfetched, but after 2 super bowl wins you've got your money's worth it time to move on...plus I wouldn't mind seeing Eli take another team to the super bowl just make sure he is as advertised, I can't stand a 30 something year old qb that argues hes ELIte yet continues to tell the media I gotta get better, elite qbs dont say that however hes the only 10 year qb saying it, still throws off his back foot still ducks when he releases, its comical to watch at times

Quote Originally Posted by FishinTheSalt View Post
    Why don't we throw in Prince for an extra late round pick.
    When you are 0 -6, anything goes! Everyone is expendable!
    Giants fan since '58

Quote Originally Posted by rotoman View Post
    Oh I see, you want to salvage the season? Giants still in the hunt to win the division? Ha, bottom line is this, yeah that trade is completely farfetched, but after 2 super bowl wins you've got your money's worth it time to move on...plus I wouldn't mind seeing Eli take another team to the super bowl just make sure he is as advertised, I can't stand a 30 something year old qb that argues hes ELIte yet continues to tell the media I gotta get better, elite qbs dont say that however hes the only 10 year qb saying it, still throws off his back foot still ducks when he releases, its comical to watch at times
    So we can add you to the get rid of Eli contingent, check!

# 80