+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's the best way to beat Atlanta?

Cue the "score more points than them" response....

I don't know much about Atlanta. As far as I recall we played them two years ago and squeezed out a win thanks to Lawrence Tynes.

The general conversation seems to suggest that our main focus needs to be stopping Michael Turner. Also, Julio Jones and Roddy White sound like they could cause a lot of headaches for us.

Of course, it also sounds like the offensive line of ATL struggles with pass protection. This is good news for us because, as we all know, our front four are really starting to get into a groove.

On the flip side of the ball I know little about ATL's D. Eli is playing the best he's ever played and the Giants for the first time in my life have two WR's that demand serious attention. Additionally, Jacobs and Bradshaw seem like they are starting to get things going a little (not nearly as much as they should be getting things going though).

I don't know what the weather report is for Sunday, not sure it'll matter given the strength of Atlanta's run game.
    I bELIeve in February 1, 2015.

Veteran

Re: What's the best way to beat Atlanta?

[quote user="Providence"]Cue the "score more points than them" response.... I don't know much about Atlanta. As far as I recall we played them two years ago and squeezed out a win thanks to Lawrence Tynes. The general conversation seems to suggest that our main focus needs to be stopping Michael Turner. Also, Julio Jones and Roddy White sound like they could cause a lot of headaches for us. Of course, it also sounds like the offensive line of ATL struggles with pass protection. This is good news for us because, as we all know, our front four are really starting to get into a groove. On the flip side of the ball I know little about ATL's D. Eli is playing the best he's ever played and the Giants for the first time in my life have two WR's that demand serious attention. Additionally, Jacobs and Bradshaw seem like they are starting to get things going a little (not nearly as much as they should be getting things going though). I don't know what the weather report is for Sunday, not sure it'll matter given the strength of Atlanta's run game.[/quote]

Low-mid 40's no precipitation expected. The Giants must slow Turner down and get after Ryan. I actually read that Atlanta is actually pretty good at protecting Ryan. They have only allowed 26 sacks this year which is atop 10 fewest stat. Atlanta also runs the no huddle so that will be a big challenge to deal with as well. I like the Giants offense against their defense. I think the Giantshave their biggest advantage there.

Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

All-Pro

I'd go with hitting the QB all day and scoring lots of points.

Seriously, that would be my game plan.

They are a very talented team. With the DL playing better hopefully they stuff the run well and make the QB rush his throws causing a mistake. Get him on the ground. Sack him. Make him nervous in the pocket. I guess that's the game plan every week.

Also, I want the offense to make sure they score especially when the defense does make a stop or turn over. I think they have actually not been very good with that.

[quote user="repeatchamps"]

[quote user="Providence"]Cue the "score more points than them" response.... I don't know much about Atlanta. As far as I recall we played them two years ago and squeezed out a win thanks to Lawrence Tynes. The general conversation seems to suggest that our main focus needs to be stopping Michael Turner. Also, Julio Jones and Roddy White sound like they could cause a lot of headaches for us. Of course, it also sounds like the offensive line of ATL struggles with pass protection. This is good news for us because, as we all know, our front four are really starting to get into a groove. On the flip side of the ball I know little about ATL's D. Eli is playing the best he's ever played and the Giants for the first time in my life have two WR's that demand serious attention. Additionally, Jacobs and Bradshaw seem like they are starting to get things going a little (not nearly as much as they should be getting things going though). I don't know what the weather report is for Sunday, not sure it'll matter given the strength of Atlanta's run game.[/quote]

Low-mid 40's no precipitation expected. The Giants must slow Turner down and get after Ryan. I actually read that Atlanta is actually pretty good at protecting Ryan. They have only allowed 26 sacks this year which is a*top 10 fewest stat. Atlanta also runs the no huddle so that will be a big challenge to deal with as well. I like the Giants offense against their defense. I think the Giants*have their biggest advantage there.

[/quote]

If they have only allowed 26 sacks that is damn good. I either must have read that their pass protection was lousy or the person who wrote it/said it had their stats wrong. I guess we'll find out how good they are come Sunday.

I'd love to see one of Osi's trademark, strip/sack/recovery's in this game. It'd be huge!
    I bELIeve in February 1, 2015.

I think the key is how we cover Julio Jones. I think Webster can handle Roddy White with alot of press coverage, Kiwi/Boley/JQ have been doing good handling some of the leagues best TE's (in the past few weeks) and we tend to do better stopping power backs that arent receiving threats outta the backfield.

Im just worried about Ross on Jones, that scares the crap outta me
    Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

if we can limit their rushing attack to say 70 yards or less, it gives us a much better chance.

i just believe in the cliche that "defense wins championships".

[quote user="Providence"]Cue the "score more points than them" response....

I don't know much about Atlanta. As far as I recall we played them two years ago and squeezed out a win thanks to Lawrence Tynes.

The general conversation seems to suggest that our main focus needs to be stopping Michael Turner. Also, Julio Jones and Roddy White sound like they could cause a lot of headaches for us.

Of course, it also sounds like the offensive line of ATL struggles with pass protection. This is good news for us because, as we all know, our front four are really starting to get into a groove.

On the flip side of the ball I know little about ATL's D. Eli is playing the best he's ever played and the Giants for the first time in my life have two WR's that demand serious attention. Additionally, Jacobs and Bradshaw seem like they are starting to get things going a little (not nearly as much as they should be getting things going though).

I don't know what the weather report is for Sunday, not sure it'll matter given the strength of Atlanta's run game.[/quote]

Atlanta has a fast offense which doesn't bode well for us.

Ryan holds on to the ball a tad too long in obvious passing situations, which does bode well for us.

Roddy White is going to be their main possession guy while Julio Jones will be their deep threat. Julio Jones is not consistant ... he has big play potential but often muffs the big play (think Manningham year 2). The bad news is that Julio Jones has been stellar of late.

Gonzalez is consistant but aging.

Unfortunately there is no one solid way of stopping Atlanta. Play back in zone and they beat you on the ground ... play with 7-8 in the box and they beat you through the air. They are probably the most balanced offense after the Saints in the NFL this year and they've been much better in the second half of this season as well.

The good news ... their defense is fairly mediocre (18th in ppg) and they play much better at home then on the road (4 of their 6 losses were on the road this year).

On the road (and when outdoors specifically) they run the ball A LOT more then when playing indoors which means we'll probably want to stuff the box a little more and crowd the middle with our standard zone defense (which plays well against the no-huddle).

Their defense is more suseptible to the pass then the run (20th ranked vs. 6th ranked) and they don't have a double digit sack guy this year (one of their big knocks ... lack of pressure on opposing QBs). That bodes really well for us and KGs preferred method of offense.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

rush the passer, don't turn the ball over. For us, it's really simple. We will go as far as our pass rush allows us to go.

-Limit Michael Turner
    -Contain John Abraham
    -Cover their receivers and TE well.
    -Force turnovers and never give up the ball.
    -Must keep Pressure on Ryan constantly

Bench Player

Howdy all,

First, let me say that I'm a Falcon's fan. Not here to run my mouth or talk smack, but just good old civilized football talk for a little while.

The teams that have beaten us have more or less made it tough for Turner to get going in which he was held to 56 yards or less in 4 of the 6 games that we lost. The exceptions being our opening day loss to Chicago where he ran for 100 yards on 10 carries and our first loss to New Orleans where he ran for 96 on 22 carries.

I also think that Ryan can be rattled with enough pressure. Hopefully our O-Line can pick up the blitzes and pressure. He can manage an offense from the line of scrimmage with the likes of the elder Manning if given the reins, but I still think he's been held back at times. He's got the weapons, but sometimes the play calling from our OC just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Between Roddy, Julio, and Gonzalez, we've got plenty of options that can make big plays. All three have shown that they can go up against the leagues best and make plays. Roddy and Gonzalez are studs at WR and TE. Julio had a monster 2nd half and is, in my opinion anyway, the wild card. He could be the key to our offense putting up points. That's not to take anything away from you guys. Manning has emerged as a helluva QB and Cruz and Nicks are just as lethal as Roddy and Julio.

I hope to see us in and out of the no huddle all game long, but if you guys can take away Turner and get enough pressure on Ryan, it could be a long day for my birds. No matter how you look at it, we're a power running team to set up the pass and play action. Take away the first part and our OC, Mike Mularky, has shown that he gets pass happy with the play calling (47+ passing attempts in 5 of the 6 losses).

Here's to what I hope is a good game as well as an injury free one!