+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

It would Be Nice To Hear From Jerry Reese

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-gia...espnapi_public

"With all due respect to the established and comfortable structure of the in-season NFL week, I simply do not care what Carl Banks or Antrel Rolle or anyone else had to say when offered an opportunity to voice their frustrations about the New York Giants in their paid weekly radio appearances. "Giants unhappy because they lost and looked bad doing it" is not news. It's noise.

I personally believe it would be more interesting to hear from someone qualified to explain the root of the problems the Giants are having and to offer substantive thoughts on potential solutions. I think Giants GM Jerry Reese fits that profile, and I think it would be good for him to speak publicly this week. Not today, necessarily, with the organization supporting coach Tom Coughlin on the day of his brother's funeral. Some things -- many things, actually -- are more important than football, and certainly this can wait. But when we all go back Wednesday and Thursday for interviews and news conferences in East Rutherford, I don't think it's too much to ask for the team's general manager to come out and answer some questions.

Requests to interview Reese on Monday were declined, and it has been explained to me that he rarely talks in-season, with the possible exception of the bye week. The Giants' power structure is well established and respected by all involved. Reese's job is to put the roster together. Coughlin's is to coach the team. Reese giving all kinds of interviews in-season the way owner/GM Jerry Jones, for example, holds court in the locker room after every game would be unseemly given the separation of powers in the Giants organization. Fair enough.

But when the team starts 0-3 and there are legitimate questions being asked about whether it's actually built to win, it's time to consider making an exception. Accountability is always in-season, and there are questions that Reese is more qualified to answer right now than are the coaches and players who are giving interviews daily. Questions such as:

As an organization that believes in developing internal solutions to its roster issues, where on your roster do you believe improvements on the offensive line can come, in the short term as well as the long term?

Given the health issues he had last year and the surgery he had this spring, do you expect Jason Pierre-Paul to make a full return to the form he showed in 2011 and early 2012? And if so, how much longer do you expect to have to get by with this obviously diminished version of him?

Based on your pre-draft evaluations of him, and factoring in what you've seen on the field so far, do you believe Justin Pugh is ready for continued full-time duty as your right tackle? Or would he benefit from a move inside or even to the bench once David Diehl is ready to return?

Are there any external moves you believe can be made in-season to address the blocking issues still left over from the departures of guys such as Ahmad Bradshaw and Martellus Bennett?

Those are just a few samples, and I'm sure other people have others. And look, this isn't about assigning blame or railing that Reese didn't do enough. I've gone down that road before. Wrote that column in August 2011. I was wrong then, and it's entirely possible that those who want to hammer Reese now will turn out to be proven wrong months down the road. I'm not necessarily betting on it, but I've learned a lesson or two about rushing to conclusions that run counter to people's track records.

I don't think Reese was wrong to let Bradshaw and Bennett and Osi Umenyiora leave given what they would have cost him. I do think it's possible he didn't do enough to replace them, and that the Giants may be entering something of a rebuilding phase as a result. I'd like to get his thoughts on that. And I think if others in the organization are out there answering for the 0-3 start, it's not too much to ask the same of the man who assembled the so-far overmatched roster."
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Well that says everything doesn't it?
    No one remembers who came in second.

Actually, it would be nice to hear from Jerry Reese.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    Well that says everything doesn't it?
    We tend to focus on the people responsible for game day operations, letting those who are responsible for talent acquisition fade into the background. Some of us wanted more focus on the Oline heading into this season. We got Pugh and he's been doing OK for the most part. We also seemed to spend a lot more capital on the DLine and, since you can't solve every ill in one draft, the Oline suffered and now we reap what was sown.

Drafting and Free Agency are crap shoots at best. You pick your poison and live with it.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

The GM doing mid week interviews is a sign of panic and chaos. It is not the Giant way. That would be a "Jet" move. JR isn't and shouldn't be doing interviews.. During the season this team belongs to Coughlin.

All-Pro
    Stuff happens. Reese is a very good GM. Pugh was probably not supposed to start. Why ask him about JPP? People should know it takes a lot longer than 4 months to get back from surgery when you play football. They are going to struggle this year. Next year they should have a lot more money to spend in FA and hopefully they draft well. They have some pieces to build on because of Reese. Next year they could have a healthy JPP, Joseph, Hankins, Moore, Prince, Hill, and Hosely. On offense they have two young OT's, great WR's, and young RB's. They can fix the OL in FA and draft another pass rusher, LB, and secondary players.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    Stuff happens. Reese is a very good GM. Pugh was probably not supposed to start. Why ask him about JPP? People should know it takes a lot longer than 4 months to get back from surgery when you play football. They are going to struggle this year. Next year they should have a lot more money to spend in FA and hopefully they draft well. They have some pieces to build on because of Reese. Next year they could have a healthy JPP, Joseph, Hankins, Moore, Prince, Hill, and Hosely. On offense they have two young OT's, great WR's, and young RB's. They can fix the OL in FA and draft another pass rusher, LB, and secondary players.
    I'm still shocked that a doofus like myself would predict that JPP couldn't come back from back surgery this quickly......and yet the team is moving forward as if this is 2011.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Reese is an imgrate but I don't think now is the time for him to speak. He can't suddenly produce a functioning o-line, or a decent linebacker. He really should get grilled in the near future though. He's been asleep at the wheel and his negligence has cost us dearly.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    I'm still shocked that a doofus like myself would predict that JPP couldn't come back from back surgery this quickly......and yet the team is moving forward as if this is 2011.
    Who said they expected him to be 100%?

I don't want to hear anything from Reese at all, really. I heard enough from him during the offseason, and frankly, none of it bears any semblance to what I'm seeing on game days.

He needs to hustle to try and find guys to help this team before the Oct 29th deadline.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell