+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Careful Hitting Giants With Sports' Worst 4-Letter Word: QUIT

http://nypost.com/2013/09/24/careful...ter-word-quit/

Excerpt: "Here’s a lesson I learned the hard way:

This was the Monday after Thanksgiving, two seasons ago, high above the Superdome, inside a press box virtually scraping the ceiling. The Giants were playing a prime-time game against the Saints and they were getting hammered. Actually, it was worse than that. They were getting manhandled, humiliated, emasculated.

Even from up there, it seemed like a senseless battering, one that would end 49-24 and one that, at some point, felt like the Giants would’ve preferred to be anywhere else in the world but New Orleans. And so for the pending edition of the paper, I wrote that, using the worst four-letter word in sports:

Q-U-I-T.

Then, at game’s end, we hurried downstairs, walked into the locker room, and this was what we saw: a room packed with bloodied, battered players, all of them limping, all of them dragging themselves to the showers and the trainer’s room, all of them looking … the best word is this: vanquished.

Justin Tuck was one of them. And something he said stayed with me, and stays with me:

“There’s a big difference,” Tuck said, “between quitting and getting your head handed to you.”

I quickly rewrote my column, hastening to delete with urgency a certain word entirely from the final edition. And it’s a point worth pondering this morning, as we try to think about where the Giants are as a team right now. Yes, they got good and pounded by the Panthers on Sunday. A lot of Giants fans turned the game off. Those that were forced to stay saw something that fell between grisly and gruesome.

Carl Banks, for one, as a Giants broadcaster, had to watch every snap. And his mood rapidly darkened as the game got further and further out of hand. And it hadn’t gotten any better by the time he talked with WFAN’s Evan Roberts and Joe Benigno on Monday. Banks never used the “Q” word, but he used a lot of its cousins, calling the Giants emotion-free, wondering whether the players liked each other, questioning their self-respect.

Later, one of Banks’ teammates from their shared golden era, Harry Carson, told ESPN: “That’s not being a Giant. There’s a certain amount of pride and dignity when you put on that uniform and take the field.”

Old Giants do tend to take the red-white-and-blue team colors seriously, transform them into sacred vestments the further removed they are from the field, and there’s nothing wrong with that: There ought to be pride in a career well played, a football life well-lived.

But the one piece of amnesia that always seems to work its way into the memories of former players is this: just how agitating it was for them when they were playing to hear about how much better things were back in the day, about how much more the players cared." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

All-Pro
    Don't think it's quitting. It's a lack of talent.

No need to be careful. The players Q-U-I-T out there. No excuse for being given a beatdown like that by an ordinary Panthers team. Disgraceful. A shambles. The players should be ashamed of themselves. Discount the meaningless eagles game and they are on an 0-5 run. These players may not be world beaters but they are better than that. No heart.

"A̶d̶r̶i̶e̶n̶ ̶R̶o̶b̶i̶n̶s̶o̶n̶ Larry Donnell is the JPP of TE's". - Jerry Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post

We will see on Sunday if they've "quit"
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

They will quit after the spanking they get this weekend, unless John Connor can take them to the promise land.

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    They will quit after the spanking they get this weekend, unless John Connor can take them to the promise land.
    Preemptive spanking eh? Hopefully, the Chiefs are thinking like you, and don't realize that the games is won on the field. With that said, if they show no passion this week, and the OL loses in the trenches, then that's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kez Simpson View Post
    Preemptive spanking eh? Hopefully, the Chiefs are thinking like you, and don't realize that the games is won on the field. With that said, if they show no passion this week, and the OL loses in the trenches, then that's that.
    Dude, shush, don't pay attention to my post.

I've been saying the giants were going to win the past 3 weeks.

Are you getting the picture?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    Nah!, we've already experienced the 2nd Coming & Savior, Brandon Jacobs.....how's THAT working out, older & SLOWER IMHO.....

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    http://nypost.com/2013/09/24/careful...ter-word-quit/

Excerpt: "Here’s a lesson I learned the hard way:

This was the Monday after Thanksgiving, two seasons ago, high above the Superdome, inside a press box virtually scraping the ceiling. The Giants were playing a prime-time game against the Saints and they were getting hammered. Actually, it was worse than that. They were getting manhandled, humiliated, emasculated.

Even from up there, it seemed like a senseless battering, one that would end 49-24 and one that, at some point, felt like the Giants would’ve preferred to be anywhere else in the world but New Orleans. And so for the pending edition of the paper, I wrote that, using the worst four-letter word in sports:

Q-U-I-T.

Then, at game’s end, we hurried downstairs, walked into the locker room, and this was what we saw: a room packed with bloodied, battered players, all of them limping, all of them dragging themselves to the showers and the trainer’s room, all of them looking … the best word is this: vanquished.

Justin Tuck was one of them. And something he said stayed with me, and stays with me:

“There’s a big difference,” Tuck said, “between quitting and getting your head handed to you.”

I quickly rewrote my column, hastening to delete with urgency a certain word entirely from the final edition. And it’s a point worth pondering this morning, as we try to think about where the Giants are as a team right now. Yes, they got good and pounded by the Panthers on Sunday. A lot of Giants fans turned the game off. Those that were forced to stay saw something that fell between grisly and gruesome.

Carl Banks, for one, as a Giants broadcaster, had to watch every snap. And his mood rapidly darkened as the game got further and further out of hand. And it hadn’t gotten any better by the time he talked with WFAN’s Evan Roberts and Joe Benigno on Monday. Banks never used the “Q” word, but he used a lot of its cousins, calling the Giants emotion-free, wondering whether the players liked each other, questioning their self-respect.

Later, one of Banks’ teammates from their shared golden era, Harry Carson, told ESPN: “That’s not being a Giant. There’s a certain amount of pride and dignity when you put on that uniform and take the field.”

Old Giants do tend to take the red-white-and-blue team colors seriously, transform them into sacred vestments the further removed they are from the field, and there’s nothing wrong with that: There ought to be pride in a career well played, a football life well-lived.

But the one piece of amnesia that always seems to work its way into the memories of former players is this: just how agitating it was for them when they were playing to hear about how much better things were back in the day, about how much more the players cared." Read more...
    This is why former players, like Carson and Banks, are the best people to refer to outside the organization.

Carson said to check back in a few weeks to determine whether this is a team with no heart, or a team with no talent.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    I think its a little of both..obviously there is no talent at LB..