+ Reply to Thread

Can anyone tell me about the falcons defense?

Please give me some info about there defense.
    There cbs. lbs, defensive ends, safetys.
    Which positions are any good?
    What are there strengths and weaknesses on defense?
    For Some reason there the only Nfl team that i have no clue of how good there d is.

Re: Can anyone tell me about the falcons defense?

Pretty good against the run, average against the pass

The big playmakers are:

Abraham (All-Pro pass rusher, but getting long in the tooth)

Grimes (Very underrated CB....kid is a flat out ballhawk)

Lofton (stud LB)

Those are the key three to that defense...

If we can contain Abraham and exploit the other two, then we should be putting up plenty of points

Bench Player

Don't forget Spoon. He's been beasting as well. Eli should be able to pass against our soft zone defense. Plenty of holes everywhere. That's what make me nervous about playing passing teams.

I'm interested to see if they line up Grimes on Cruz or Nicks for the majority of the game.

I'm thinking Nicks would benefit because he would have a good size advantage over Grimes so that might be the best match-up for us.

Robinson is definitely beatable and if Cruz is lined up on him he could torch him all game.

Let's put the women and children to bed and go lookin' for dinner

lb curtis lofton - 147 tot, 2 int, 1.0 sacks
    de john abraham - 9.5 sacks, 25 tot, 4 ff
    s thomas decloud - 86 tot, 4 int

I'd say they are pretty average overall which funny enough, I would consider elite in these playoffs. Look at how many teams in the playoffs this year have horrible overall defense. Packers, Giants, Patriots, Saints, etc.

I'm not too worried about Abraham or Edwards rushing the passer. The biggest question for me will be if we can get a running game going against this LB corps.

All-Pro

Lots of bad defenses in this post season. Statistically I think the Falcons have the 2nd best defense for the NFC in the playoffs.

Absolutely. You have a great edge rusher and decent (not weak) run stopper in John Abraham. He is the key on the edge. Inside they are pretty solid as well. Jonathan Babineaux is a very good DT and he plays next to Corey Peters who is, well, not a liability. Ray Edwards is a good to great run support guy but don't let his play/stats fool you, he can get after the QB.

Their LBers are VERY solid. Lofton, Spoon, and Nicholas are standout LBers that are most importantly, well rounded. They are better run players then pass players but not by much. Spoon is the best out of all of them no doubt, but don't kick yourself GMEN fans for not having him in blue, I for one am very content with JPP

Their secondary is...pretty good. Led by standout Brent Grimes (having an excellent year) and safety and one of my fav 2009 players, William Moore. They are the strengths of that secondary. On the other side you have one of the most overrated and overpaid corner/player in Dunta Robinson. Kelvin Hayden is a decent nickel guy (would have been nice depth for us), and he isn't afraid to tackle. Thomas DeCoud plays free safety for them and he is somewhat of a liability in pass coverage but a nice player in run support.

They can be had but this game is not in the bag by any means. They are a pretty solid bunch.

gmen0820 pretty much nailed it. Peters at DT has had some great games this year, and others where he and Babineaux are non-factors. Same as Abraham. Dunta Robinson (CB) and Thomas Decoud (S) are both liabilities in coverage, although Decoud can often be in the right place to intercept deflections. Truthfully, there have been times this year when we wondered if the zone scheme wasn't so complicated that our players still hadn't learned it after 2-3 years. Adding confusion in the secondary to the 3 man rush that DC Brian Van Gorder loves against Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees hasn't necessarily been a recipe for success. We have a hard time getting off the field on 3rd down against good offenses. I really envy the pass rush you guys have, I just hope they don't go off on us this weekend!

[quote user="NOVAFalcon"]gmen0820 pretty much nailed it. Peters at DT has had some great games this year, and others where he and Babineaux are non-factors. Same as Abraham. Dunta Robinson (CB) and Thomas Decoud (S) are both liabilities in coverage, although Decoud can often be in the right place to intercept deflections. Truthfully, there have been times this year when we wondered if the zone scheme wasn't so complicated that our players still hadn't learned it after 2-3 years. Adding confusion in the secondary to the 3 man rush that DC Brian Van Gorder loves against Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees hasn't necessarily been a recipe for success. We have a hard time getting off the field on 3rd down against good offenses. I really envy the pass rush you guys have, I just hope they don't go off on us this weekend![/quote]Thanks for the props and good luck this week.